      From: Pat Meadows <pat@...>
      To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2007 08:39:52 -0500
      Subject: Re: [pfaf] my HUUUUGE problem with S L U G S. Help!!!

      On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 08:49:35 -0000, you wrote:

      > But...if I want to create an edible garden, I really need help with this
      > first(?) MAJOR problem.
      >
      > I bought Michael Guerra's book Edible Container Garden, and before
      > emailing you, I tried to find if he has a contact address (?) but cannot
      > find one. because this is a question I would ask him.
      >
      > So I am looking for an idea or _IDEAS_ how to tackle this problem of slugs.

      We have cool damp conditions most summers and a major slug/snail problem as
      well. I use a 'slug bait' that is non-poisonous to anything else; it is
      based on iron phosphate which decomposes harmlessly into the soil. It
      works well.

      We're in the USA, but I would think something similar is available in the
      UK.

      Here is the website, in case you want to take the description to a local
      garden center to inquire:
      http://www.gardensalive.com/product.asp?pn=2111&ss=Es-Car-Go

      Also, I am told that ducks are wonderful for slugs; they eat them all. But
      you may not want to have ducks.... I'd like to have ducks; we don't feel we
      can deal with anything else at present, but maybe someday we will feel able
      to cope with ducks.

      Pat
      -- Northern Pennsylvania

      Good planets are hard to find; let's take care of
      the one we have.
    • Show all 28 messages in this topic