1939Re: [pfaf] my HUUUUGE problem with S L U G S. Help!!!

  • Griselda Mussett
    Dec 1, 2007
      Hi
      I had/have an identical problem - had to use different methods all the
      time.
      Went out at night slug hunting and collected them and took them in a
      bucket to the park at the end of the road.
      Installed a small pond with frogs in it (sadly cannot have fish at the
      same time in such a small pond).
      Used copper wire round the rims of tubs and planters.
      Planted rocket and also radishes in thinnish but densely-sown circles
      round lettuces - the slugs don't like these and these fiery-leaves
      plants acted as human-edible hedges for the succulent ones inside.
      Encourage birds into the garden with nut-feeders, and discouraged cats
      by shouting at them....birds helped by eating slugs (I hope).
      One terrible day I did kill some of the slugs when there were just
      hundreds of them.....put them in the bucket with oatmeal which dried
      them out v fast and they died. I still feel guilty about this but at
      least it added no poisons to the garden.
      Also read up about slugs on the net to find out more about them, and
      came to understand and like them better.
      Don't lose heart.
      Good luck.
      Griselda
      (in Kent, SE UK)