1713Re: [pfaf] Edible plants for model 20 acre organic farm in Mzuzu, Northern Malawi

  • michael lasky
    Apr 24, 2007
      plant lovers,

      altho your project sounds both interesting and worthy, i am afraid i cannot
      help you. My experiences for thirty years in the andes mountains of south
      america mainly included tropical climes 500 to 2000 meters above sea level.
      although iit was dry during the dry seasons, when it rained (generally from
      december to march) it really rained! in drier areas however, such as the
      coast of peru, there wsas considerable production of carob, olies and
      dates.\

      i hope your project , excuse the pun, blooms.

      peace and good luck!

      dsmaikito

      >From: Pat Meadows <pat@...>
      >To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [pfaf] Edible plants for model 20 acre organic farm in Mzuzu,
      >Northern Malawi
      >Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 11:14:29 -0400
      >
      >On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 12:10:01 -0000, you wrote:
      >
      > >Hi,
      > >
      > >We are a small development group called Wells for Zoe
      > >(www.wellsforzoe.org) working in Mzuzu, Northern Malawi. We are
      > >interested in finding out about and sourcing seeds to grow edible
      > >plants on a model 20 acre organic farm on land which receives little
      > >water. The land is given by the chief of a village in return for the
      > >provision of water pumps, and dams and other irrigation schemes to the
      > >village. This land is then used to grow food for sale to make money to
      > >help fund such schemes on a micro-credit basis. The ethos is 'a hand
      > >up, not a hand out'. The irrigation schemes then feed water to the
      > >farms when there is no rainfall but water is limited
      > >
      > >Would anyone out there have any ideas on the most suitable plants and
      > >the best place to get them for delivery to Malawi for planting in
      > >June/July?
      > >

      >I think e-mailing Native Seeds/SEARCH might be a good idea. They
      >specialize in seeds for the American Southwest. The conditions there are
      >very hot and dry (such places as New Mexico and Arizona).
      >
      >They have tepary beans, for example. These are good for hot and dry
      >conditions - as a Native American plant, maybe they're not known in Africa.
      >They have other somewhat unusual Native American seeds.
      >
      >http://www.nativeseeds.org/
      >
      >You could certainly ask their advice. Maybe they'd give you some seeds,
      >even. See their 'About Us' page.
      >
      >Echonet is another outfit that I think you should definitely email. They
      >give seeds and information to projects in the Third World.
      >
      >http://www.echonet.org/
      >
      >Last, NewCrop is a good resource for information on specific crops.
      >
      >http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/default.html
      >
      >Good luck with your project!
      >
      >Pat
      >-- Northern Pennsylvania
      >'Every one of us can do something to protect and care for our planet.
      >We should live in a way that makes a future possible.'
      > - Thich Nhat Hanh

      Download Messenger. Join the i�m Initiative. Help make a difference today.