1647Let's Grow Goji Berries

  • martin
    Mar 25, 2007
      Let's Grow Goji Berries

      Imagine a plant that is easy to grow, an attractive landscape shrub,
      tolerant of drought and poor soils, and hardy to USDA zone 5, and
      produces edible berries. Interested? Need more enticement? What if
      the berries were a nutrient powerhouse containing, ounce for ounce,
      more vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and nutrients than any other
      food on Earth?

      There is such a plant: the goji berry (Lycium barbarum). Grown for
      centuries in Mongolia and Tibet, this tough plant packs an amazing
      nutrient punch in each small red fruit. The berries not only have all
      the nutritional benefits mentioned above, they've also been used
      medicinally in the Himalayas to treat kidney and liver ailments and
      high cholesterol.

      Rather than buy the dried berries, why not grow them yourself in your
      backyard?

      Growing Gojis
      Goji berry shrubs grow 8 to 10 feet tall, with shoots reaching up to
      12 feet. In early summer the plants offer an attractive display of
      purple and white, trumpet-shaped flowers on new growth. By late
      summer, the flowers give way to glossy, bright red berries. The
      plants produces berries and fruits simultaneously all season long
      right up to the first heavy frost.

      Goji berry plants can be grown in USDA zones 5 to 9. They tolerate
      temperature extremes from -15F to over 100F. Goji berries are best
      grown from bare root or potted plants. While they can grow in part
      sun, they flower and fruit best in full sun. The plants grow on
      sandy, loam, or clay soil, as long as it's well drained. Once
      established, goji berry plants are very drought tolerant and need
      minimal care to continue producing.

      Maintaining Gojis
      Goji plants begin bearing fruit at 2 years old and reach maximum
      production when they're 4 to 5 years old. They thrive with some
      nitrogen fertilizer at planting, but only need annual additions after
      that of a balanced fertilizer and compost in spring to keep growing.
      The plants can be annually pruned in early spring to keep the size in
      bounds and plant attractive.

      Harvesting Gojis
      Since fruits mature periodically throughout the summer, it's best to
      handpick the oblong, grape-size, ripe fruits frequently. You can also
      harvest by laying a tarp under the plant and shaking the bush. Wear
      gloves and be careful of the 1-inch long thorns on the older wood.
      Check plants for ripe fruit every few days since birds love the
      berries as well. You can also through bird netting over the plants to
      keep our feathered friends away. Eat goji berries fresh or dry and
      store them for use in cereals, salads and snacks.

      ----------

      Timpanogos Nursery is a State Certified Nursery and a large Goji
      Berry Farm located in the Rocky Mountains of Utah. We sell potted
      Goji Berry plants as well as our new Goji Berry Seed Kits.

      Grow Your Own Goji Berries
      Why not harvest your own fresh Goji Berries right out of your own
      back yard? You can enjoy them knowing how they've been grown and
      cared for.

      We ship strong, healthy Goji Berry plants directly to your door via
      U.S. Mail.

      Order Now

      Our Goji Berry plants have well-developed root systems and are ready
      for planting.

      ----------

      This was in "National Gardening Association"
      <regionalreports@...> received today

      Goji Berry Products
      from GojiBerryProducts.com
      Dried Goji Berries
      Our Premium Dried Goji Berries are grown on the pristine hillsides of
      Inner Mongolia, where fertile soil, pure mountain water, and clean
      air combine to make ideal growing conditions. >>GO

      Goji Juice
      Enjoy the benefits of one of natures most precious gifts, the Goji
      Berry. We think you will agree with us that ours is the freshest,
      best-tasting Goji Juice available. >>GO

      If you can't read this newsletter, copy this URL and paste it into
      your browser:
      http://www.ngagardenshop.com/campaigns/show/3736

      Timpanogos Nursery Web site | NGA Web site

      If you wish to remove yourself from our mailing list, follow the link
      below. Note that by doing so you will no longer receive your NGA
      Regional Report:
      r=7657_116f1cc37c14c5ee6d9418ca50e450aa

      National Gardening Association, 1100 Dorset Street, South Burlington,
      VT 05403, 802-863-5251
      Martin
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic