1551Re: [pfaf] Adding more whole grains into one's diet

  • Jacqui Knight
    Feb 17 1:27 AM
      Hi - I'm in New Zealand. My toasted muesli or crunchy granola is a real
      hit, very healthy, with whole grains, nuts and dried fruit.

      I make it in bulk, then pack it into sealed bags so it lasts at least a
      couple of months. But I've given you the smaller quantity. I buy a bag
      of rolled oats, and then adjust the other ingredients. It doesn't really
      matter if you have the proportions right and you can substitute with
      whatever. Here's the recipe:

      4 cups rolled oats.
      1 cup dessicated coconut
      1/4 cup linseed (flax seed)
      1/2 cup wheatgerm
      1/2 cup sunflower seeds, hulled
      1/2 cup honey - I use Manuka honey which is extremely healthy, with
      medicinal properties, but that may not be available in your part of the
      world - use whatever is available. Or you COULD use sugar.
      1/2 cup oil - safflower is what I use
      Mix these together and put into a roasting pan and into an oven 170
      degrees Celsius (that's 338 degrees Fahrenheit)

      Toast and stir from time to time. Leave to cool.

      2 cups mixed dried fruit, such as apricots, sultanas, raisins, dates,
      pawpaw, apple, pineapple etc. Use your imagination! Chop them up (or use
      a food processor for the bigger slices).
      2 cups mixed dried nuts, almonds, walnuts, hazel nuts, pecans, brazil
      nuts... use your imagination! Chop up the bigger ones and make them
      smaller. But I don't use peanuts - personal choice.

      I also add sesame seeds and tinker with the recipe forever. :) Depends
      what I see for sale in the health shop/grains part of the supermarket.
      Add your dried fruit and nuts to your toasted mixture.

      And then I eat a couple of spoonfuls for breakfast every morning, with
      some fresh fruit and great NZ milk. :) Some people sprinkle it on top of
      a plain cereal - but I don't. However, if you're going from a refined
      diet to adding this, I would take it easy at first.

      YUM! Can't wait for breakfast tomorrow. :)

      Jacqui

      Javier Cosp wrote:

      > Sometimes I make my own "Granola" cereals (I dont know if that is
      > the name in english). I am sure you can find a recipe in Internet
      > (the recipe I have is in spanish).
      >
      > Javier
      > Paraguay

      Russell, Bay of Islands, New Zealand