1494Re: [pfaf] becoming friends with plants.

  • Frank
    Jan 9, 2007
      > Based on my own
      > lifetime experience I believe that being friends
      > with the plants enhances their potency, very much
      > like any loving relationship enhances healing.

      I believe this too. On the PFAF website a lot
      of good reasons are given for growing perennial
      plants. One thing I found that isn't
      mentioned is the different relationship with
      perennial plants. (I am not talking about medicinal
      plants here but edible ones). When I pick a salad I
      visit a lot of plants, whilst taking leaves I often
      talk with them, now they are the best friends I
      have at The Field and an important reason for me
      to go back there regularly. It's definitely different
      from growing lettuce.

      > It is
      > not uncommon that the plants give us the knowledge
      > how we can work with them for healing, but this is
      > only possible if there is deep communication,
      > familiarity and respect with our plant-relatives.

      My communication with plants hasn't regrettably
      reached this level, but maybe I am just more
      interested
      if they are edible (and nice tasting) or not.
      I seem to developing a sense of poisonous plants,
      but I would not trust my self, and always check on
      other peoples experiences.

      > In survival conditions, when you have to use unknown
      > plants as food, it is recommended practice to hold a
      > small piece of plant material under the tongue,
      > where substances are relatively easily transferred
      > to the bloodstream. You then have to pay attention
      > to what sensations this causes, locally and in the
      > rest of your body.

      Under survival conditions I would first
      do a skin test (what Wolf described), then a your
      test,
      then to chew a bit without swallowing, then to eat
      a little bit. Between each test there should be
      enough time (a day), and as you say you have to pay
      attention. Only test one plant at a time. Still some
      poisonous plants might slip through, don't continue
      eating the plant after survival without looking
      up other peoples experiences.

      I found the remaining bit of a your mail very
      interesting. I will take a look at the books
      Stephen Harrod Buhner books. As I'm very interested
      in deepening my relation with plants. If anybody
      on the list has experience or advice, I'd like to
      hear!

      Frank

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic