1480Re: Poisoning from wrong herbs
- Jan 6, 2007--- Dee Harris <corbywolf13@...> wrote:
> Then what would you suggest, Frank? Not using herbsYou have been lucky for 51 years then. A plant giving
> at all? I'll have you know that I"ve been using
> herbs most of my life and that's 51 years worth. I
> do think that I have some knowledge of what I'm
a reaction on the skin certainly is suspect, some are
actually very nice to eat (like Urtica spp.). But
there are enough plant poisons that don't give a
reaction on the skin (for example saponins). Some
poisons work slowly over a long period of time. As I
said there are no simple test. I am very much for
using plants, a lot of chemical medicines are very
bad (= poisonous).
But before starting using plants (especially for
food or medicine) you have to be sure that
you have identified it correctly (use several books or
somebody that knows about plants). Also learn about
the plant (books, the PFAF database, use google).
Some medicinal plants are not suitable for self
medication, some plants might interact with
conventional medicines... Some plants are just
wonderfully effective and totally safe...
Plant toxicity is a difficult subject and
there seems to be quit a bit of wrong information
around. I wouldn't be surprised if the ethanol
in Absinthe would be more poisonous than the
thujone it contains.
I don't want to scare anyone out of using plants,
just to point out some wrong info. Especially people
who are just starting to learn about plants. I
when I first came to The Field I got a bit carried
away with tasting all those nice plants and started
eating stuff that is not meant to be eaten (Senecio
jacobaea), it was a young one and I only took a little
bit, *without any ill effects*. If I hadn't learned
more about this plant and mixed in my daily salads, my
liver - and I - would be gone.
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
- << Previous post in topic Next post in topic >>