1397Re: [pfaf] Artemisia – plant to cure malaria

  • Pat Meadows
    Sep 13, 2006
      On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 20:12:14 -0000, you wrote:

      >I am going to volunteer on a project in Zambia, where malaria is rife.
      >I have read that the artemisia plant is extremely successful at keeping
      >malaria at bay. I am therefore trying to locate seeds for Artemisia, so
      >that I can plant them in the permaculture project in Zambia, and help
      >reduce the incidents of this disease.
      >I look forward to hearing from anyone who can help.

      Artemisia is a generic name, not a specific name. There are various
      species of Artemisia.

      I think the one you want is _Artemisia annua_. It is sometimes called
      'Sweet Annie' or 'Quing-Hao'.

      The reason I believe this is the species is that 'The Green Pharmacy Herbal
      Handbook' by James Duke lists this plant as a malaria preventive and good
      for treating malaria.

      Here is one source for seeds:
      http://www.one-garden.org/Chinese/sweetann.htm

      Maybe you can find more sources by searching 'Artemisia annua'.

      Pat

      Blog (mainly gardening and cooking related):
      http://www.entire-of-itself.blogspot.com/
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic