1284Re: gold and water

  • Helen Banks
    May 31, 2006
      Dear all

      The Pascua Lama mining project is (unfortunately) genuine, and the
      email petition author is probably well-intentioned, but here's why
      email petitions don't work:

      http://michaelbluejay.com/main/petitions.html

      (Basically, the names can't be verified, the way in which the
      petition is circulated leads to numerous duplicate names, the
      originator will be inundated with emails and risks losing her or his
      email account, and the petition can't be recalled once it's done its
      job.)

      As Rich suggests, the petition site has an online petition which asks
      for names, towns, postcodes and email addresses. If you want to
      support this campaign, please sign it. Your personal details are not
      visible - just name and town. Online petitions do have credibility
      and even Number 10 Downing Street has been known to accept them.

      Helen