1279gold and water
- May 30, 2006In the Valle de San Felix, the purest water in Chile runs from 2 rivers, fed by 2 glaciers. Indigenous farmers use the water, there is no unemployment, and they provide the second largest source of income for the area.
Under the glaciers has been found a huge deposit of gold, silver and other minerals. To get at these, it would be necessary to destroy the glaciers - something never conceived of in the history of the world and to make 2 huge holes, each as big as a whole mountain, one for extraction and one for the mine's rubbish tip.
The project is called PASCUA LAMA. The company is called Barrick Gold. (Barrick Gold is mining at Lake Cowal-NSW Australia at the moment!)
The operation is planned by a multi-national company, one of whose members is George Bush Senior.
The Chilean Government has approved the project to start this year,2006.
The only reason it hasn't started yet is because the farmers have got a temporary stay of execution.
If Barrick Gold destroys the glaciers, they will not just destroy the source of especially pure water, but they will permanently contaminate the 2 rivers so they will never again be fit for human or animal consumption because of the use of cyanide and sulphuric acid in the extraction process.
Every last gram of gold will go abroad to the multinational company and not one will be left with the people whose land it is. They will only be left with the poisoned water and the resulting illnesses.
The farmers have been fighting a long time for their land, but have been forbidden to make a TV appeal by a ban from the Ministry of the Interior. Their only hope now of putting the brakes on this project is to get help from international justice.
We ask you to circulate this message amongst your friends in the following way. Please copy this text and paste it into a new email, adding your signature, and send it to everyone in your address book.
Please, will the 100th person to receive and sign
the petition send it to noapascualama@... to be forwarded to the Chilean Government.
No to Pascua Lama Open-cast mine in the Andean Cordillera on the Chilean-Argentine frontier.
We ask the Chilean Government not to authorize the Pascua Lama project to protect the whole of 3 glaciers, the purity of the water of the San Felix Valley and El Transito, the quality of the agricultural land of the region of Atacama, the quality of life of the Diaguita people and of the whole population of the region.Signed:
1) Katharine Proudfoot, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
2) Laura Cole, London, UK
3) David Platt, London, UK
4) Diane Platt, Manchester, UK
5) Tanya Corker, Manchester, UK
6) Nicola Hargreaves, UK
7) Nicholas Jones, UK
8) Johann Don-Daniel, Germany
9) Ashley Berger, Germany
10) Sarah Downie, Leeds, UK
11) Paula Delahunty, Bingley, UK
12) John O'Driscoll, Bingley, Uk
13) Jordan-Lee Delahunty, Bingley, UK
14) Claire Mulvey, Bradford, UK
15) Marie Malcolm Bradford, UK
16) Ann Clowes, Halifax UK
17) Jayne McGee, Brighouse UK
18) Jason Barratt Oldham UK
19) Lindsay Torrance, Rochdale UK
20) Maggie Ford, Rochdale, U.K.
21) Barry Cook, Todmorden, U.K.
22) Shelley Burgoyne, Todmorden, U.K.
23) Lisa Stuart, Potes, Spain.
24) Michael Stuart, Potes, Spain.
25) Renee Engl, Byron Bay, Australia
26) Adrian Begg, Brunswick Heads, Australia
27) Riana Begg, Brunswick Heads, Australia
28) Oriel Paterson, Brunswick Heads, Australia
29) Alicia Paterson, Brisbane, Australia
30) Lyneve Robinson, Sydney, Australia
31) Jennifer Moalem, Sydney, Australia
32) Alexandra Pope, Sydney Australia
33) Shushann Movsessian, Sydney Australia
34) Amanda Frost,Sydney Australia
35) Tarshito , Montecollum,NSW Australia
36) Eltara, Sydney Australia
37) Michael Webb, The Channon,NSW Australia
38) Sarah LaRock, New Orleans, USA
39) Annie LaRock, New Orleans, USA
40) David Zurak , New York, USA
41) Christopher Boutsinis, Melbourne, Australia
42) Donna Benke, Melbourne, Australia
43) Cam McDonald, Melbourne, Australia
44) Josh Hughes, Perth, Australia
45) Kevin Luttrell Perth Australia
46) Sally Luttrell Perth Australia
47) Sam Luttrell Perth Australia
48) Amelia Cann, Perth Australia
49) Marie Cann, Perth Australia
50) Robert Cann, Perth Australia
51) Venetia Roberts, Perth, Australia
52) Anna Roberts, Perth, Australia
53) LLoyd Roberts, Perth, Australia
54) Glen Roberts, Perth, Australia
55) Guy Hodgson, Perth, Australia
56) Yolande Hart, Australia
57) Jackie L.Knowles, Boulder, CO, U.S.A.
58) Donald M. Epstein, Boulder, CO, USA
59) Amy H. Jackson, San Francisco, CA, USA
60) Peter B. Fisk, San Francisco, CA USA
61) Peter Gillies, Seattle, WA, USA
62) Dawn Sea Kahrs, San Francisco, CA, USA
63) Lana Surgenor, Santa Rosa, CA, USA
64) Patricia Gale Peters, Santa Rosa, CA USA
65) Lauren Selman, Petaluma, CA USA
66) Amy Gower, Uxbridge, UK
67) Gabriella Cole, San Francisco Ca USA
68) Chris Drake, Washington, DC, USA
69) Julia Collins, New York, NY, USA
70) Maria Moreno, New York NY USA
80) Roger Rothstein, New York, NY, USA
81) Beryl Korot, New York, NY USA
82) Paul Ryan, New York, NY USA
83) Bob Schuler, High Falls,NY USA
84) Steven Kolpan, West Hurley, NY USA
85) Ananda Saha, Santa Fe, NM USA
86) Deborah Luscomb, Prospect, NS Canada
87) Erica Lowe, Halifax, NS Canada88) Stephen Sainsbury, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA"For about thirty years I wandered,
Searching for the real Tao everywhere.
How many times did I see the trees
Grow new branches and watch the old leaves fall.
But at this moment, seeing the peach blossoms,
Suddenly there are no more doubts."- Huang Shan-ku (1045 1105)
Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls. Great rates starting at 1¢/min.
- Next post in topic >>