1273Re: Why pesticides?

  • Gloria C. Baikauskas
    May 27, 2006
      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "pattyfastforward"
      <pattyfastforward@...> wrote:

      Insects only invade plants that are in some way stressed. In the
      years that hordes of insects, i.e.,locusts, grasshoppers, destroyed
      entire crops it was usually a drought year, or years. These crops
      would most likely have been a loss anyway.

      If instead the crops had been mulched in some way, instead of soil
      laid bare by the plow/tilling, it might not have been so
      devastating. Not just because there would have been less moisture
      loss, but also because predator insects, the natural enemies of the
      invading ones, would have had a place to hide so they could better
      attack.

      If companion plants had been in the fields that would have attracted
      the right kind of birds, the insect hordes would also have been
      nulled to a large factor.

      We create deserts by the way we plant....or in many cases now did
      plant. The soil blows off in the wind now in drought years just as
      it did in the 1930s in the US.

      In the devastated corn crop in California a few years back it was
      finally noticed that when the wheat straw had been left on the field
      instead of removed, or plowed into the soil, the whiteflies that
      spread the disease were stopped by their natural predators who did
      hide in that same wheat straw. Only those farms with the wheat straw
      on the soil were unaffected by the devastation. The rest lost
      everything. Even their chemical sprays did them no use.

      It is not whether we should use these things on our food. It is that
      we need to be better stewards of the land...learn to farm/garden in a
      better way that means we will not need such sprays....organic, or
      not.

      Gloria, Texas
      USA

      > Decades ago insects were known to wipe out entire crops. The amount
      of
      > plants per acerage was much less back then compared to today. By
      using
      > pesticides and fertilizers, the farmer could raise a lot more crops
      on
      > that one acre. And when was the last time you heard of locusts
      eating
      > entire fields?
      >
      > As for hormones - again, way back when there were no refrigerators.
      > eat beef, you had to cook it for hours or age it. Aging requires
      > somewhere around 36 degrees for 2 weeks. The alternative is feeding
      > the beef corn and marbling the fat. It's cheaper to give the cow
      corn.
      > And the hormones will take a calf to market in quit a lot less time
      > then just feeding it for years. Also, they get paid by the pound,
      and
      > the hormones make the cattle fatter faster. Faster return on their
      > investment.
      >
      > As for food: chickens have a lot of germs on them because of
      > processing. Some don't. Hard to know when you're in the grocery
      store.
      > Veggies that have been fertilized with cow manure may have ecoli on
      > them. Face it - unless you grow it yourself or know the farmer that
      > grows all this - you have no idea what you're eating.

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic