      From: pfaf@yahoogroups.com [mailto:pfaf@yahoogroups.com]
      Sent: 26 December 2005 22:19
      To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [pfaf] Digest Number 536

      ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Need
      Help? Get Help! Tools and Strategies for Healthy Drug-Free Living</a>.
      http://us.click.yahoo.com/PhcW9C/dbOLAA/a8ILAA/bAOolB/TM

      There is 1 message in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. Planting trees
      From: "Shirley" <shirley.k@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 22:01:54 -0000
      From: "Shirley" <shirley.k@...>
      Subject: Planting trees

      Yesterday, Christmas eve.... we collected 330 bare rooted native trees - a
      mixture of 60 purple osier, 60 common osier and 20 grey sallow - the osier
      we hope to make a living fence from and also to create some baskets/willow
      sculpture and possibly even fuel at some stage; 10 rowan which we will grow
      as trees; 30 hazel, and 30 each of guelder rose, dog rose, burnet rose,
      hawthorn, blackthorn from which we want to make a mixed native hedge.

      I've been looking at buying/obtaining some tree shelters. We live in North
      East Scotland and the hedging will be fairly exposed. The saplings are all
      native and locally grown. We have a few visiting sheep (living lawnmowers),
      not to mention rabbits, hares, deer etc. What is the cheapest way to protect
      the plantings? All suggestions gratefully received. Do I actually need to
      protect ALL the trees - looking at one willow site it appears that for the
      'fedge' I don't need to provide individual plant protection, other than
      matting or other form of weed prevention.

      Look foward to reading your replies.

      Shirlz xx

      [This message contained attachments]