1053Planting trees

  • Shirley
    Dec 25, 2005
      Yesterday, Christmas eve.... we collected 330 bare rooted native trees - a mixture of 60 purple osier, 60 common osier and 20 grey sallow - the osier we hope to make a living fence from and also to create some baskets/willow sculpture and possibly even fuel at some stage; 10 rowan which we will grow as trees; 30 hazel, and 30 each of guelder rose, dog rose, burnet rose, hawthorn, blackthorn from which we want to make a mixed native hedge.

      I've been looking at buying/obtaining some tree shelters. We live in North East Scotland and the hedging will be fairly exposed. The saplings are all native and locally grown. We have a few visiting sheep (living lawnmowers), not to mention rabbits, hares, deer etc. What is the cheapest way to protect the plantings? All suggestions gratefully received. Do I actually need to protect ALL the trees - looking at one willow site it appears that for the 'fedge' I don't need to provide individual plant protection, other than matting or other form of weed prevention.

      Look foward to reading your replies.

      Shirlz xx