      From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@...>
      To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [pfaf] shredded leaves
      Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 19:56:33 -0700

      Don't think so. Leaves alone are a high carbon-low nitrogen material and need nitrogen-rich matter to decompose fully without robbing your soil of nitrogen your plants need. Then it'll be good for the soil and good for the plants. There are several good sources you can use such as chicken manure, alfalfa meal, bone meal, blood meal etc. Personally I'd compost the mixture over the winter to preserve as much of the nutrients as possible, and then work it into the top six inches of the garden and mulch after that.

      paul, tradingpost@...

      The outstanding scientific discovery of the twentieth century is not television, or radio, but rather the complexity of the land organism. Only those who know the most about it can appreciate how little we know about it.
         - Aldo Leopold in  Round River, 1933