Fw: Evil Pet killer

  • Cynthia Hendrick
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 23, 2005
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Lynn Collea-Price, Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 00:32:15 -0400

      http://www.madison.com/tct/news/stories//index.php?ntid=44637&ntpid=2

      Myrtle Maly couldn't stand the thought of the neighbor's cats
      attacking birds in her back yard. After calling authorities and
      getting no results, she took matters into her own hands.

      According to a criminal complaint, the 78-year-old woman admitted
      killing the neighbor's two cats by dumping D-Con rodent killer into
      a can of "Special Salmon Dinner" cat food and leaving it in her back
      yard at 1813 Spaight St.

      She was charged today with two felony counts of animal mistreatment,
      each of which carries a possible 3 years in prison.

      During a brief court appearance today she was released on a
      signature bond and ordered to have no contact with the cats' owner
      and his family.

      According to the complaint:

      Maly said she took the lethal measure after calling animal control
      about the cats, which were owned by a family that lived across the
      street, but nothing was done.

      "Do you know how nice it is to come home and listen to the birds?"
      she reportedly told Detective Dave Gouran. "When I find these little
      feathers, I've had it. I love animals, but he drove me to it."

      Maly's neighbor told police he typically let his cats - 8-month-old
      Tiger and 6-year-old Tangerine - outside for the night, and the pets
      returned together in the morning.

      On May 28, Tiger came home alone and a few hours later began having
      seizures. The neighbor found Tangerine lying in the driveway, racked
      by convulsions and foaming at the mouth. He said he and his children
      passed a difficult period as the cats suffered, then died. Tiger
      died that same day, and Tangerine died the following day.

      After discovering that the cats were sick, the neighbor contacted an
      emergency veterinarian clinic and was told the symptoms were
      consistent with poisoning. Knowing that Maly had called authorities
      about his cats in the past, he said, he looked in her back yard and
      found a can of cat food, most of which was eaten.

      According to the complaint, while being questioned by Detective Dave
      Gouran, Maly admitted putting some D-Con rodent killer in the cat
      food on May 27 and leaving it outside before leaving the next day
      for the weekend.

      Maly reportedly complained that the cats should have been kept "at
      home, in control."

      She said she didn't know how much of the poison she used, she
      just "dumped some in." "I just probably thought they'd get sick. I
      don't know how that stuff works," she said.

      Asked if the poison was intended for her neighbor's cats, she
      said, "Both of them."

      She is quoted in the complaint as saying she had mixed feelings
      about killing the cats, but added, "I have a good feeling because
      the birds are happy now."

      MY NEW GROUP -
      groups.yahoo.com/group/Animal-Rights_Pet-Guardians_Corner
      ----