Fw: Groups Call for Boycott of Canadian Products

  • Cynthia Hendrick
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2005
      -----Original Message-----
      From: AnimalAdvocacy@yahoogroups.com
      To: AnimalAdvocacy@ yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 04:34:03 -0000

      Let me preface this message by saying that I don't think that any true
      animal person should be eating seafood at any time. Sea animals are
      living, and in most cases, sentient beings.
      ---------------------------
      Please call Canadian embassy in DC at: 202-682-1740
      The below statement from this AP article is a staight-out lie and it is
      completely unacceptable that Canadian government officials are giving
      this misinformation to the media. "It's a livelihood for many of the
      aboriginals in Newfoundland and Labrador. They don't have much in the
      way of an alternative economic
      endeavor," said Terry Colli, a Canadian embassy spokesman. Please call
      the Canadian embassy and ask to speak to this person, Terry Colli and-
      they will transfer you to the assistant-leave a
      message asking the embassy to stop spreading lies to the media about who
      participates in the commercial seal slaugther (all non-native
      white men, not aboriginals-because they have been wiped out from
      Newfoundland). Please be polite and firm. (When I called, the assistant
      said they'd been getting lots of calls, so please continue!) Here are
      some facts-
      The HSUS and many other organizations have made it very clear to the
      Canadian media and government that our campaign is against the
      commercial seal hunt occurring in the waters off the east coast, in
      particular near Newfoundland.  In Newfoundland, where 93% of the hunting
      occurs, the local indigenous people (Beothuck Indians) were wiped out by
      1830 by European immigrants in a well documented case of
      genocide. So there are no indigenous people on that island to
      participate in the commercial seal hunt.  Virtually all of the
      participants of the commercial seal hunt we are targeting (that takes
      place near Newfoundland and the Magdalen
      Islands) are non-natives of European ancestry (mainly people of French,
      Scottish, Irish, and English ancestry).  We are not campaigning to stop
      the subsistence hunts by aboriginal people in the Arctic territories,
      but the Canadian government ignores this. While the sealing and fur
      industry industries continue to use native
      spokespeople and tries to hide behind the image of subsistence hunting,
      it is not an accurate portrayal of the trade. For more information about
      the genocide of native peoples in
      Newfoundland, see:
      http://www.swgc.mun.ca/mparker/shanadithit.htm Group Asks U.S. to
      Boycott Canada Seafood
      AP Online
      04/04/05, 4:19p
      (Copyright © 2005, AP Online)
      By ELIZABETH WOLFE
      Associated Press Writer
      WASHINGTON (AP) - The Humane Society of the United States is asking
      American restaurants and consumers to boycott Canadian seafood to
      pressure that government to stop the annual seal hunt.
      The announcement of the boycott Monday coincided with the start of
      country-of-origin labeling for seafood products sold in the United
      States, a practice that will let shoppers know where their seafood comes
      from.
      Legal Sea Foods, a 31-restaurant chain, and Down East Seafoods, a
      distributor to about 200 hotels and restaurants, have joined the
      boycott. The Humane Society has appealed to more than 5,000 U.S. seafood
      distributors to follow suit. "Americans have repeatedly used their
      purchasing power to bring about
      significant improvements in animal welfare," Humane Society President
      Wayne Pacelle said.
      The hunt, which animal rights activists say is needlessly cruel, has
      been the target of protests since the 1960s. When this year's hunt
      began last week, thousands of sealers armed with clubs, rifles and
      spears clashed with protesters arriving by helicopter. Canada says the
      decades-long practice brings badly needed income to impoverished fishing
      communities, primarily from pelt sales to Norway, Denmark and China. The
      United Stats bans imports of seal
      products. "It's a livelihood for many of the aboriginals in Newfoundland
      and Labrador. They don't have much in the way of an alternative economic
      endeavor," said Terry Colli, a Canadian embassy spokesman. The largest
      seafood importer to the United States, Canada accounted
      for nearly a fifth of the U.S. market in 2003, or about $2.2 billion,
      the Canadian government reported.
      ___
      On the Net:
      Humane Society of the United States: http://www.hsus.org