facts about fur

  • marysejillet
    Message 1 of 433 , Apr 19, 2001
      Nothing Natural About Fur Furriers, desperate for
      positive things to say about their product, often resort
      to the claim that furs are "natural." But in fact,
      turning an animal's skin into a coat involves preserving
      it with toxic chemicals like formaldehyde,a known
      carcinogen. While fake fur is made from petroleum-derived
      synthetics, even more petroleum is used to produce real fur.
      A study by Ford Motors showed that an average
      wild-trapped fur coat required 3.6 times more energy to be
      produced than a fake fur, while a ranched fur required a
      staggering 66 time more energy than a fake! Furriers claim
      that fur trapping is necessary tool for wildlife
      management. But trapping as a commercial enterprise can never
      be a wildlife management strategy. Wildlife
      management is based on highly specific local circumstances.
      But the book "Fur Trapping: A Complete Guide"
      suggests a completely different basis: "The trapper should
      trap the fur most in demand. If bobcats bring a high
      of $400, as they did in 1976, he should concentrate
      on them." Is this wildlife management - or slaughter
      for profit? Wildlife populations follow natural
      fluctuation curves. Unchecked hunting and trapping of certain
      animals have disrupted these fluctuations. The furriers'
      and trappers' dangerously unscientific claims to be
      "managing" wildlife are a thinly disguised ploy in their own
      interest - not that of wild animals. Fur: Once a symbol of
      glamour and success, is now the symbol of Insensitivity,
      Vanity, and Greed. Top fashion models like Claudia
      Schiffer, Kate Moss, and Cindy Crawford are saying NO to
      fur. Famous designer such as Giorgio Armani, Donna
      Karan, Geoffrey Beene and Calvin Klein now exclude fur
      from their collections. Leading retailers including
      Harrods of London and I. Magnin have stopped selling furs
      altogether. The choice is yours. You can express your respect
      for all life...or your commitment to a dead fashion.
    • iimpster
      Message 433 of 433 , Mar 2, 2002
        poor ol angry HF... what would we do without you
        to feel sorry for.<br><br>well, since yer
        a-pretending to want answers YET AGAIN, least i kin doo is
        a-blige ya.<br>(btw, i dont think that "i" was the one
        had a hard time in "school"... i was reading at age
        3... whats yer excuse? were you even talking yet at
        that age, or still just lusting after yer pappys chaw
        bakky ...i think somebody stole more than your "lunch
        money" ol chum!)<br><br>but afore i indulge in a lil HF
        roasting, (he makes it too easy dont he), let me just say
        how sorry i am that you cant come up with anything
        valid to accuse me of, so you must go inventing funny
        things to be mad at now.<br>with your recent post in
        another club inquiring on gardening techniques, i had
        thought you might be ready to rise above your redneck
        roots, but alas, such is evidently not to
        be.<br><br>anyway, heres just a few of the things i am supposed to
        have said, to demonstrate why HF is really going out
        travels the world in his bus".<br>(truth: imp only
        traveled the mid-west to eastern continental US in his
        bus, in actuality the only time i've been off the NA
        continent was a brief sojourn in Ecuador as a child.... btw
        HF, busses dont float so dont get yer hopes
        the world from polution with his peace of junk bus
        that suposed to have built it with his two
        hands..."<br>(truth: bus was found in a scrapyard and "restored" with
        hard work and used parts, not "by two hands"...
        traveled occasionaly around... never even HINTED that
        saving the world from pollution" was part of the deal...
        just a wee diff there)<br><br>HF lie #3
        exposed:<br>"after we show him how he cause more polution with the
        hunk of junk in one mile that it will take a new bus
        100miles"<br>(truth: HF shows nothing but his lack of mathmatical and
        comprehension skills)<br><br>hmm, i could go through the rest
        of his sad post, revealing inconsistencies and
        fallacies left and right, but it wouldnt change
        anything....<br>he will be the same rabid arrogant hick that he
        "allus" was.<br><br>but this reply wouldnt be complete
        without addressing what is arguable his greatest fear...
        my "wholey" religious texts.<br><br>HF lie
        #4:<br>"with the little we knew we shot wholes all through his
        so call bible..."<br>(truth: HF refuses to read
        anything on the subject, or go further into my EXTENSIVE
        online archives on the subject (
        didnt actualy exist, we AR's would have had to invent