Fw: [cat-rescue] Send your Prayers to Chippewa Falls Humane Society

  • Cynthia Hendrick
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 25, 2005
      -----Original Message-----
      To: cat-rescue@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [cat-rescue] Send your Prayers to Chippewa Falls Humane
      Society
      Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 00:25:26 EST

      Dozens of cats, dogs killed in  Chippewa County fire
      Tuesday January 25,  2005
      CHIPPEWA FALLS, Wis. (AP) A fire at the  Chippewa County Humane
      Association
      killed dozens of cats and about 29 dogs and  has temporarily left the
      agency
      without a building.
      Humane Association manager Didgit Weber  lives next door and went into
      the
      burning building late Monday.
      She tried to save the 50 to 60 cats,  but saw it was too late, so she
      tried
      to save the dogs.
      ``I always tell people the shelter is  my home, and I just come next
      door to
      the house to visit,'' she said. ``And when  you work so closely with
      the
      animals, they become like family. I think everyone  here felt the
      animals were
      family.''
      Linda Hebert, association president,  said only 11 of about 40 dogs were
      able
      to be saved in the fire that started at  about 11 p.m. No cats
      survived.
      A Chippewa County sheriff's deputy  passing by reported the fire, which
      kept
      some firefighters on the scene until 3  a.m. Tuesday.
      ``It was a pretty bad fire,'' Chippewa  Falls Fire Chief Tom Larson
      said.
      A large clothes dryer used to dry  towels and rugs may have been the
      fire's
      origin, he said.
      The saved dogs were taken to the Eau  Claire County Humane Association,
      said
      firefighter Trevor Weiland, who works for  the city and the town of
      Anson.
      Linda Burlingame, former association  president, said the fire may have
      destroyed records, computers, supplies and  other equipment the group
      planned to
      use in the new facility being built on the  site.
      Mark Woodford, Anson's assistant fire  chief, said the animals died of
      smoke
      inhalation.
      ``Whether it's a barn fire where cattle  die or one like this where
      it's
      pets, it's emotional for everyone. The one good  thing is that they
      didn't burn to
      death,'' he said.
      The only bright side is the new shelter  is close to being finished,
      Burlingame said.
      The Chippewa Falls Police Department  brings animals to the shelter
      several
      times a week, Captain Wayne Nehring  said.
      ``I don't know what our options are  yet,'' Nehring said. ``If it's a
      bite
      case, we may have to pay a vet to impound  them.''
      (Copyright 2005 by The  Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

      Dear Human,
      Why do you think that you are superior to me?
      Is it because you can "talk"?
      I just speak a different language from yours.
      Please don't mistreat me.
      Your ignorance is not my fault.
      Sincerely,
      Non-Human