Urgent announcements from IAKA/KAPS...Korean dog and cat eating

  • starrynight376
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 17, 2002
      From: "iakakaps" <iaka@...>
      To: <Undisclosed-Recipient:;>
      Subject: Urgent announcements from IAKA/KAPS
      Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 12:23:48 -0700

      #1 Urgent Update

      #2 Sample letter

      #3 ClaudetteĆ¢?Ts fundraising 91km walk

      #1 URGENT UPDATE:

      KOREAN GOVERNMENT ON THE VERGE OF LEGALIZING DOG MEAT BY DEFINING NON-
      PET DOGS AS LIVESTOCK!

      The Ministry of Agriculture is proposing to amend the Animal
      Protection Law of 1991 to classify some dogs and cats as companion
      animals and others as animals for consumption. We are vigorously
      protesting this change and have prepared this letter that addresses
      the offending amendments. Please copy this letter, and send it to the
      addresses of the Korean government officials listed directly after
      the letter Please send protest emails, faxes, and letters, a thousand
      times if you can!

      Dear Korean President and Minister of Agriculture:

      I am writing to express to you my deep concern about the new proposed
      draft legislation that would amend the 1991 Animal Protection Law,
      which outlaws cruelty to animals. At the end of last year, the
      Ministry of Agriculture promised to strengthen and enforce the animal
      protection law. After so long, the Ministry of Agriculture at last
      sent the draft law to animal protection groups to review. We find the
      following articles in the new draft law very disturbing:

      cats raised for the purpose of companionship and developing an
      emotional attachment to humans and other animals, as designated by
      the Ministry of Agriculture.)
      That means that if dogs are raised in a dog farm for the purpose of
      consumption, the dog can be treated any way the farmer sees fit.

      What we want is that all dogs and cats be classified only as a pet
      animals.

      We propose that Article 2, Clause 3 be changed to:

      The pet animals are all dogs and cats. Other animals can also be
      pet animals, such as rabbits, guinea pigs, chickens, fish, snakes,
      lizards and other amphibians, that are specifically raised for the
      purpose of companionship and developing an emotional attachment to
      humans and other animals, as designated by the Ministry of
      Agriculture.)

      (Article 5, Clause 3:
      Owners of dogs and cats, who are purposely raised as
      pets, must put collars on them, with tags containing their owners name
      and address, in case they get lost; without the collars with I.D.
      tags, they can be considered as strays.)

      We propose instead that Article 5, Clause 3 should read:
      (If stray dogs and cats are found, and they are not wearing collars
      or any other I.D., they must be considered to be lost pets and must
      be treated accordingly.)

      one shall kill animals without a proper reason, according to the
      following sections:
      (The action of killing an animal in a public place or on a street,
      in front of other people is prohibited.)
      (The action of killing alive by fire and in boiling water.)
      (Killing by hanging alive or beating.)
      (Killing in front of other animals.)

      Section 1 means that it's okay to kill animals in a secret place, in
      private.

      We demand that all killing, beating, or performing any cruelty to or
      causing any injury to animals must be prohibited anyplace, whether
      public or private.

      (Injury to animals by beating using an instrument.)

      These laws are confusing, inconsistent, and unfairly applied, and they
      cannot be enforced locally. There are no provisions for or detailed
      specifications as to how the police can enforce the laws.

      We regret that the Ministry of Agriculture has drafted such poorly
      conceived amendments, and until new amendments are written to
      adequately protect animals, we will launch a worldwide protest,
      together with other world organizations and animal-loving people,
      aimed at preventing Korea from hosting the 2010 World Expo and 2010
      Winter Olympics, and the world will boycott Korean goods.

      Sincerely,

      Officials to write to in Korea:

      President Kim, Dae-Jung
      Blue House
      1 Sejong-Ro, Jongro-gu
      Seoul, South Korea 110-050

      Ministry of Agriculture
      1 Jungang-dong
      Gwacheon, Gyeonggi Province
      South Korea 427-760

      wmaster@...

      minister@...

      Fax: +82-2-503-7249
      Tel: +92-2-2110-4046

      (This department is responsible for animal protection and preparing
      the
      draft law)

      Director General Suh, Jung Bae
      Department of Livestock
      Ministry of Agriculture
      1 Jungang-dong
      Gwacheon, Gyeonggi Province
      South Korea 427-760

      suhsb@...

      Fax: +82-2-507-3396
      Tel: +82-2-2110-4400

      Mr. Lee, Hee Woo (He is also involved preparing the draft law)

      Prevention of Livestock Diseases
      Department of Livestock
      Ministry of Agriculture
      1 Jungang-dong
      Gwacheon, Gyeonggi Province
      South Korea 427-760

      leehw@...

      Fax: +82-2-504-0908
      Tel: +82-2110-4447

      Prime Minister
      77-6 Sejong-Ro, Jongno-gu
      Seoul, South Korea 110-050

      M_opm@...

      Fax: +82-2-737-0109
      Tel: +82-2-737-0094

      #2 SAMPLE LETTER:

      Dear President Kim, Dae-Jung

      The torture and consumption of Korea's dogs and cats must stop!

      Before the 2002 World Cup, the Korean government promised the world it
      would uphold the law banning the torture, killing, and eating of dogs
      and cats. We trusted you to enforce the law, but you have betrayed
      that trust. It's clear that Korea lied to the world and broke its
      promise, because Korea now plans to pass a law that would classify
      some dogs as pet dogs and others as eating dogs.

      That is unacceptable! No civilized nation would ever make a
      distinction between dogs for eating and dogs for pets.
      Korea will never advance until it creates a new, strong law to ban
      dog and cat consumption forever.

      I will write to the 2010 Winter Olympics and World Expo. committees,
      to tell them that Korea does not deserve to be their host. The World
      will look down upon them, as they do Korea, if they allow Korea to be
      their sponsor. I will boycott, and protest those events if Korea is
      chosen to host. I will not buy Korean goods, support Korean
      businesses, or visit Korea until Koreans stop eating dogs and cats
      for good!

      Sincerely,

      #3 CLAUDETTE'S FUNDRAISING 91KM WALK

      You can help sponsor a 91km walk by IAKA/KAPS supporter Claudette
      Vaughan of Animal Defenders Australia. Claudette will walk from
      Station Pier to Portsea, Australia, for KAPS in mid-January 2003. All
      money raised will go directly to the KAPS shelter in Korea. By
      sponsoring Claudette's walk, you can help save the lives of dogs and
      cats in Korea!

      Please tell your friends and family to help, too. You can e-mail
      Claudette at claudelou@... or phone her at 0422-178-741 to
      request sponsorship forms. You can also download the form online, at
      www.koreananimals.com Please contact Claudette with your interest or
      you can reach us, as always, at iaka@... and
      kaps@...

      Thank you all for your support!
      Kyenan Kum
      International Aid for Korean Animals
      Korea Animal Protection Society
      P.O. Box 20600, Oakland, 94620-0600, USA
      www.koreananimals.org
      iaka@...
      (Tel.) 510-271-6795
      (Fax) 510-451-0643