TAKE ACTION: Greenpeace Pledge to Whales - Protect the Oceans.

  • [InfoNature.Org] - E-News
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 26, 2006
      PROTECT THE OCEANS
      http://oceans.greenpeace.org

      TAKE ACTION: http://activism.greenpeace.org/yil_ezines/8/html/od_ezine_8_en_gpi.html

      June 26, 2006 - Ocean Defenders Newsletter - Pass it on

      Dear Ocean Defenders
      At the International Whaling Commission (IWC) meeting last week the whalers confirmed they will again hunt up to 935 minke whales and 10 endangered fin whales in the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary. In response, we have pledged the Defending Our Oceans tour will end as it began - with a return to the whaling ground. We will once again put our boats between whale and harpoon, and use every peaceful means to defend the whales.

      We have made a pledge to return to the Southern Oceans to protect whales. There are two ways you can help today:

      1. Ask the government of Denmark to side with the whales. At the 2006 meeting, Denmark cast the deciding vote giving the whalers a majority.

      2. Send 5 friends this email. To respond to the greatest challenge to whale protection ever, we need to recruit a (non-violent) army of people willing to roll up their sleeves and help throughout 2006. Ask your friends to be Ocean Defenders.

      Make sure those five friends sign up five more. Remember it costs nothing to become an ocean defender -- just a bit of time and a few mouse clicks to help save whales.

      The Denmark vote

      We won four out of five key votes at this year's International Whaling Commission meeting. That's the good news. The bad news is that with a majority of one (Denmark), the whalers passed a non-binding resolution, which they are claiming calls for an end to the moratorium on commercial whaling - a moratorium that has saved thousands of whales.

      Many were shocked that Denmark, a country where 70 percent of the population is against commercial whaling, cast the deciding vote giving the whalers a majority.

      Help us bring this key country back over to the side of the whales.
      Ask the Prime Minister of Denmark to take responsibility for this issue away from their Foreign Minister, and give it to the Environment Minister.

      TAKE ACTION!

      Tell Denmark
      ... to support the whales not the whalers.

      Tell 5 friends
      ... to sign up for action alerts about whales and other oceans issues

      Ask
      Where does your fish really come from?

      Donate now!
      and help defend our oceans

      ON THE WEBSITE

      Get Talking
      Discuss whaling in the Ocean Defender Community

      Podcasts
      See and hear our latest audio and video reports from the field.

      Learn more
      About whales and whaling.

      Greenpeace Toolbar
      Get Greenpeace news and action alerts right in your browser.

      AMAZING OCEAN FACT

      Since fin whale diet is mainly based on krill, their poo is pink!