BIRD FLU: Animal Factory farms blamed for the spread of bird flu worldwide.

  • [InfoNature.Org] - E-News
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2006
      .: InfoNature.Org - The Spirit of Change :.
      WWW.INFONATURE.ORG
      "Knowledge is Power, the Power to Change Things"

      Animal Factory farms blamed for the spread of bird flu worldwide.

      Factory farming and the international poultry trade are largely responsible for the spread of bird flu, and wild birds are being unfairly blamed for the disease, a new report says.
      The report says the deadly H5N1 virus developed inside intensive poultry units in Asia and has proliferated through exports of live birds and the use of chicken droppings as fertiliser. Its publication by Grain, an agricultural pressure group, follows an announcement that the virus has been found in a turkey farm in eastern France. Though the farm was close to where two infected wild ducks were found, all its 11,000 turkeys were kept indoors with no contact with wild birds.

      Dissident scientists accept that the flu began in wild birds, but say it developed in the cramped conditions of Asian factory farms. Research published in the official journal of the US National Academy of Sciences blames the poultry trade for the virus spreading from China to Vietnam.

      BirdLife, a charity, says the virus's spread across Russia last summer - widely attributed to migrating birds - took place when birds were moulting and unable to fly. It adds that an outbreak in Nigeria took place on a factory farm far from migratory routes.

      By Geoffrey Lean, Environment Editor
      Published: 26 February 2006
      http://news.independent.co.uk/environment/article347790.ece

      HELP STOP THIS
      Help protect Nature, Animals and your Health
      GO VEGETARIAN

      GoVeg.com - http://www.goveg.com
      The Vegan Society - http://www.vegansociety.com
      Vegan Outreach - http://www.veganoutreach.com
      VegSource.com - http://www.vegsource.com
      Vegan Peace - www.veganpeace.com

      INFONATURE.ORG - INTERNATIONAL | INFONATURE.ORG - PORTUGAL | FORUM | NEWSLETTER ARCHIVE | WRITE US
      PARTICIPATE IN OUR DISCUSSION LISTS AND NEWSLETTERS: INTERNATIONAL | PORTUGAL | AJUDAR ANIMAIS
      * * *
      DISCLAIMER: The views, opinions, informations or links of the authors expressed on our Website and Emails *do not* necessarily state or reflect those of InfoNature.Org. Also we are *not* responsable for the availability or content of the links regarding external websites. For complete information read our Disclaimer. If you do not want to continue receiving our Newsletter, please email us.