Re: [pet_bunny] Origin of "binky"

  • Ken Albin
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 23, 2011
      Ah, so my memory did fail me, as I feared it would! Dana Krempels originally coined the term "binky" and notLaura Tessmer, AKA Laura Atkins. I stand by my original statement in the other email that many of the words had no real etymology. They sprang (excuse the pun) from PB'ers fertile imaginations and in most cases had some link in the mind of the creator to what the bunny was doing or how it sounded or looked.

      Ken Albin

      On 10/23/2011 19:00, William Tricomi wrote:

      Pulled from my old email files,

      Bill
      *************************

      Date sent:                Wed, 12 Jul 1995 11:14:31 -0400

      Send reply to:        PetBunny - forum for folks with companion rabbits

                    <PETBUNNY@...>

      From:                     Dana Krempels <dkrempels@...>

      Subject:               UNOFFICIAL PB DICTIONARY (long) (fwd)

      To:                         Multiple recipients of list PETBUNNY <PETBUNNY@...>

      So many new folks have asked about our strange vocabulary, that I thought

      it might be timely to re-post Ken Albin's compilation!  (If you've

      already got the P.B. dictionary, delete now.)

                           UNOFFICIAL PETBUNNY DICTIONARY

      Binky - A leap in the air, usually with a 180 degrees turn while in the

              air, and a bewildered expression upon landing.(Dana)

    • Kathy B.
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 23, 2011
        Awww thanks for the link, Ken.
        I was heartbroken when I couldn't get to that with my old, outdated
        links. <s>

        Hugs to you
        Kathy B. and the Gang at Furkids Flat
        kayb007@...
      • Patricia Na
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 23, 2011
          Yay!!  Thanks for posting the link, Ken!  I am proud that my Prince Tulip contributed to the official PB dictionary with his term "Bunnifest Destiny", a philosophy he wholeheartedly supported.

          Patricia, Smokey & Lola
          Tulip & Ivy, my angels

          On 10/23/2011 7:01 PM, Ken Albin wrote:

          Here is a link to the official Petbunny Dictionary for those who would
          like to look up bunny words. Not much on etymology there but a lot of
          history is in that document. A lot of the newer PB members have possibly
          never seen our sacred (?) document.

          Link : http://bellsouthpwp2.net/a/l/albink/pbd.htm

          Earl Grey and Ken Albin

        • Paige
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 23, 2011

            Hi and welcome Hugo, my son calls them Blinkies, too cute, so we tend to all call them Blinkies in this house J

            Sorry I can’t help with where the word originated . . . . .

            Love Paige and Sirius Lee Cute

            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 1, 2011
              WOW! Now the word "binky" has gone EVERYWHERE. YOu can google it and find the rabbit dance. Someone should tell Laura Tessmer!
              Suzy