Re: Ken !!/Re: [pet_bunny] Origin of "binky"

  • Ken Albin
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 23, 2011
      I sent the PB dictionary link in a separate email and have been wracking
      my brain about the etymology of the word binky. As far as my feeble old
      mind can remember this word was originally coined by former PB member
      Laura Tessmer sometime around 1994-5. Not sure if she used a derivative
      word to make the word binky. During that era a lot of us would simply
      make up words that somehow sounded like the actions our bunnies would
      make. I had 5 editions and would ask for new words each time. That is
      how most of the words originated on PB, from our strange imaginations
      rather than from rational derivations.

      Ken Albin
    • Ken Albin
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 23, 2011
        Ah, so my memory did fail me, as I feared it would! Dana Krempels originally coined the term "binky" and notLaura Tessmer, AKA Laura Atkins. I stand by my original statement in the other email that many of the words had no real etymology. They sprang (excuse the pun) from PB'ers fertile imaginations and in most cases had some link in the mind of the creator to what the bunny was doing or how it sounded or looked.

        Ken Albin

        On 10/23/2011 19:00, William Tricomi wrote:

        Pulled from my old email files,

        Bill
        *************************

        Date sent:                Wed, 12 Jul 1995 11:14:31 -0400

        Send reply to:        PetBunny - forum for folks with companion rabbits

                      <PETBUNNY@...>

        From:                     Dana Krempels <dkrempels@...>

        Subject:               UNOFFICIAL PB DICTIONARY (long) (fwd)

        To:                         Multiple recipients of list PETBUNNY <PETBUNNY@...>

        So many new folks have asked about our strange vocabulary, that I thought

        it might be timely to re-post Ken Albin's compilation!  (If you've

        already got the P.B. dictionary, delete now.)

                             UNOFFICIAL PETBUNNY DICTIONARY

        Binky - A leap in the air, usually with a 180 degrees turn while in the

                air, and a bewildered expression upon landing.(Dana)

      • Kathy B.
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 23, 2011
          Awww thanks for the link, Ken.
          I was heartbroken when I couldn't get to that with my old, outdated
          links. <s>

          Hugs to you
          Kathy B. and the Gang at Furkids Flat
          kayb007@...
        • Patricia Na
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 23, 2011
            Yay!!  Thanks for posting the link, Ken!  I am proud that my Prince Tulip contributed to the official PB dictionary with his term "Bunnifest Destiny", a philosophy he wholeheartedly supported.

            Patricia, Smokey & Lola
            Tulip & Ivy, my angels

            On 10/23/2011 7:01 PM, Ken Albin wrote:

            Here is a link to the official Petbunny Dictionary for those who would
            like to look up bunny words. Not much on etymology there but a lot of
            history is in that document. A lot of the newer PB members have possibly
            never seen our sacred (?) document.

            Link : http://bellsouthpwp2.net/a/l/albink/pbd.htm

            Earl Grey and Ken Albin

          • Paige
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 23, 2011

              Hi and welcome Hugo, my son calls them Blinkies, too cute, so we tend to all call them Blinkies in this house J

              Sorry I can’t help with where the word originated . . . . .

              Love Paige and Sirius Lee Cute

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 1, 2011
                WOW! Now the word "binky" has gone EVERYWHERE. YOu can google it and find the rabbit dance. Someone should tell Laura Tessmer!
                Suzy