Re: [pet_bunny] Origin of "binky"

  • William Tricomi
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 23, 2011

      Pulled from my old email files,

      Bill
      *************************

      Date sent:                Wed, 12 Jul 1995 11:14:31 -0400

      Send reply to:        PetBunny - forum for folks with companion rabbits

                    <PETBUNNY@...>

      From:                     Dana Krempels <dkrempels@...>

      Subject:               UNOFFICIAL PB DICTIONARY (long) (fwd)

      To:                         Multiple recipients of list PETBUNNY <PETBUNNY@...>

      So many new folks have asked about our strange vocabulary, that I thought

      it might be timely to re-post Ken Albin's compilation!  (If you've

      already got the P.B. dictionary, delete now.)

                           UNOFFICIAL PETBUNNY DICTIONARY

      Ballet dancer - Bunny sits hind a hind leg stretched forward, bending the

                      head forward to wash toes.(Kerith)

      Bees-in-the-head - Short, rapid tosses of the head. This is usually followed

                         by an all-out binky attack.(Dana)

      Binky - A leap in the air, usually with a 180 degrees turn while in the

              air, and a bewildered expression upon landing.(Dana)

      On 10/23/11 2:29 PM, Laura Tyler wrote:
      Hi and welcome to PetBunny, Hugo!

      I hope Ken sees this and posts the link to the PetBunny dictionary, it may state who coined the term for our bunnies' happy dance.

      Laura
      Sent from my iPad

      On Oct 23, 2011, at 3:07 PM, "hugovk" <hugo.vk@...> wrote:

      Hello,

      I've been trying to find the etymology/origin of the word "binky" for the joyful leap rabbits make when they're happy.

      The earliest mentions I found are in the Usenet group alt.pets.rabbits that shows it seemed to pick from around 1996 onwards [1]. The earliest is from February 1996 [2]:

      > He can have his litterbox, his carpet, his toys, and space to do a little binky in there even.

      Also interesting is this from December 1996 [3]:

      > Dana Krempels of the Miami HRS calls this a 'binky,' which is just the perfect word.

      I posted on the EtherBun mailing list and someone told me it was started on the PETBUNNY listserver in 1994, which is the same year the list was started at UKY (1994, that's some impressive internet heritage!). Unfortunately the archives here on Yahoo Groups only go back to 2010 and the read-only archives [4] only go back to 1998 so I can't dig around for earlier uses or references. I also read there no PETBUNNY archives from those historic early days [5].

      So, can anyone here shed any light on the origins of this word for the joyful bunny hop? When was it first used? Who came up with it? Is it ironically derived from the (grumpy) Binky rabbit star of Matt Groening's Life in Hell comics?

      Thank you!

    • Ken Albin
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 23, 2011
        Here is a link to the official Petbunny Dictionary for those who would
        like to look up bunny words. Not much on etymology there but a lot of
        history is in that document. A lot of the newer PB members have possibly
        never seen our sacred (?) document.

        Link : http://bellsouthpwp2.net/a/l/albink/pbd.htm

        Earl Grey and Ken Albin
      • Ken Albin
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 23, 2011
          I sent the PB dictionary link in a separate email and have been wracking
          my brain about the etymology of the word binky. As far as my feeble old
          mind can remember this word was originally coined by former PB member
          Laura Tessmer sometime around 1994-5. Not sure if she used a derivative
          word to make the word binky. During that era a lot of us would simply
          make up words that somehow sounded like the actions our bunnies would
          make. I had 5 editions and would ask for new words each time. That is
          how most of the words originated on PB, from our strange imaginations
          rather than from rational derivations.

          Ken Albin
        • Ken Albin

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 23, 2011
              Awww thanks for the link, Ken.
              I was heartbroken when I couldn't get to that with my old, outdated
              links. <s>

              Hugs to you
              Kathy B. and the Gang at Furkids Flat
              kayb007@...
            • Patricia Na
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 23, 2011
                Yay!!  Thanks for posting the link, Ken!  I am proud that my Prince Tulip contributed to the official PB dictionary with his term "Bunnifest Destiny", a philosophy he wholeheartedly supported.

                Patricia, Smokey & Lola
                Tulip & Ivy, my angels

                On 10/23/2011 7:01 PM, Ken Albin wrote:

                Here is a link to the official Petbunny Dictionary for those who would
                like to look up bunny words. Not much on etymology there but a lot of
                history is in that document. A lot of the newer PB members have possibly
                never seen our sacred (?) document.

                Link : http://bellsouthpwp2.net/a/l/albink/pbd.htm

                Earl Grey and Ken Albin

              • Paige
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 23, 2011

                  Hi and welcome Hugo, my son calls them Blinkies, too cute, so we tend to all call them Blinkies in this house J

                  Sorry I can’t help with where the word originated . . . . .

                  Love Paige and Sirius Lee Cute

                  I've been trying to find the etymology/origin of the word "binky" for the joyful leap rabbits make when they're happy.

                  The earliest mentions I found are in the Usenet group alt.pets.rabbits that shows it seemed to pick from around 1996 onwards [1]. The earliest is from February 1996 [2]:

                  > He can have his litterbox, his carpet, his toys, and space to do a little binky in there even.

                  Also interesting is this from December 1996 [3]:

                  > Dana Krempels of the Miami HRS calls this a 'binky,' which is just the perfect word.

                  I posted on the EtherBun mailing list and someone told me it was started on the PETBUNNY listserver in 1994, which is the same year the list was started at UKY (1994, that's some impressive internet heritage!). Unfortunately the archives here on Yahoo Groups only go back to 2010 and the read-only archives [4] only go back to 1998 so I can't dig around for earlier uses or references. I also read there no PETBUNNY archives from those historic early days [5].

                  So, can anyone here shed any light on the origins of this word for the joyful bunny hop? When was it first used? Who came up with it? Is it ironically derived from the (grumpy) Binky rabbit star of Matt Groening's Life in Hell comics?

                  Thank you!

                  Hugo

                  [1] http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/41469/etymology-of-binky-three-questions/45728#45728
                  [2] http://groups.google.com/group/alt.pets.rabbits/msg/8ad3128330521db8?q=binky
                  [3] http://groups.google.com/group/alt.pets.rabbits/browse_thread/thread/9af67f8b3d907e32/56ad4682f113f42e?q=binky+group%3aalt.pets.rabbits#56ad4682f113f42e

                • Suzy
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 1, 2011
                    WOW! Now the word "binky" has gone EVERYWHERE. YOu can google it and find the rabbit dance. Someone should tell Laura Tessmer!
                    Suzy