FM Perseus Notes & Re: Worth paying for External Down-Converter?

  • iv3nwv
    Message 1 of 8 , May 3, 2010
      --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, sailor105@... wrote:

      > I hope I'm wrong but may be Nico is creating his own competition?
      > The AOR AR-IQ software, which is a direct adaption from the Perseus SW, already has the WFM added to the selectable modes.
      >
      > Could it be that Perseus development is somewhat held back because a Perseus+converter+WFM would be a direct competitor to the AOR receiver range combined with AR-IQ for a more friendly price?

      > I hope this is not true, but I wouldn't be surprised if there might be a confusion of interests with the Perseus software development parallel to AOR AR-IQ? So Perseus will be less expanded in favour of the AOR/AR-IQ combination?
      > Mmm...

      Hi Paul,
      never heard about the Occam's razor "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem" (entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity)? :-)

      There are more simple answers to your questions, i.e. that when the AR-IQ software has been developed the AR-Alpha receiver was already a HF/VHF/UHF receiver.
      It was natural that it had to be equipped with a WBFM demodulator.
      On the contrary, it's absolutely not natural that a HF receiver is equipped with a native WBFM demodulator.
      In case, and since the world evolves, it would make sense to provide it only along with other related options, i.e. the external down-converter software.
      Simple, isn't it? ;-)

      73s
      Nico / IV3NWV