"ADC Clip"

  • Jurgen Bartels
    Message 1 of 2 , May 3, 2010
      Hi Nico,

      I see regular brief "ADC Clip" because electric fences are running again.

      I do not hear any bad audio effects on FM and wonder: Is this an early alert
      before the ADC actually does clip?

      Jurgen Bartels Suellwarden, N. Germany
      11-element 45-87MHz antenna horz.
      FM: 15.11 horz Ant. Downconverter + Perseus + Speclab as WFM demod.
      http://dx.3sdesign.de/tv_offset_list.htm
      http://dx.3sdesign.de/station_list.htm

      http://fewo.3sdesign.de - Vacation home: DX right at the Northsea coast
    • iv3nwv
      Message 2 of 2 , May 3, 2010
        > I see regular brief "ADC Clip" because electric fences are running again.
        >
        > I do not hear any bad audio effects on FM and wonder: Is this an early alert
        > before the ADC actually does clip?

        Hi Juergen,
        the clip indication is activated whenever a single sample exceeds the ADC input range. It's not an early effect (the ADC range has really been exceeded) but has a limited impact on performance when it occurs seldom, i.e. once every one hundred thousand samples (or say few times per second).
        The indication itself is reset after a while, say 50 ms after it was set, so that it can be always catched by the user eyes but, as you observed, it could be not as important as the red light pretends it were.

        73s
        Nico / IV3NWV