Car USB Adaptor

  • Tracey Gardner
    Message 1 of 3 , May 3, 2010
      Would this be of any use with Perseus?
      Fits securely in to your cigarette lighter socket to provide a 1A DC 5V USB
      charging outlet
      It's currently on special offer for just £5.99...

      http://bit.ly/dzc4D0

      73s Tracey
    • Werner Karn

        Message 3 of 3 , May 3, 2010
          Hi Tracey,

          I have used three or four different models of these type of 12V to 5V USB devices that fit into a cigarette lighter socket. All of them have been low priced, and all of them have been quieter than I expected.

          They are NOT noise-free, but if you get lucky you will find one that's reasonably good. The last one I used put out just a few "wobbly" carrier spikes on medium wave, which were easy to spot and avoid amongst the real TP / DU carriers on a DXpedition.

          I am now using a simple, inexpensive 5V supply which is linear instead of switching, and only uses two parts. It worked great on my DXpedition last month. I'll be writing up details about it in a few days for my Perseus blog.

          73,

          Guy Atkins
          Puyallup, WA USA