Re: question for one (or more) who knows.....

  • iv3nwv
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 3, 2010
      --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, monitor <monitor@...> wrote:

      Hi John,

      > My question: does anyone know if the Perseus software, which is packed
      > for security reasons, creates or causes the creation of the OREANS32.sys
      > file and registry entries?

      Yes, it does.
      The keys are created by the Oreans Technology code included in the Perseus software right for that purpose.

      73s
      Nico
    • Wolfgang K.
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 3, 2010
        Interresting, Oreans Technology has an entry in their support page
        http://www.oreans.com/kb/?View=entry&EntryID=174 about performance
        problems using this stuff.

        --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "iv3nwv" <nicopal@...> wrote:

        > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, monitor <monitor@> wrote:
        >
        > Hi John,
        >
        > > My question: does anyone know if the Perseus software, which is packed
        > > for security reasons, creates or causes the creation of the OREANS32.sys
        > > file and registry entries?
        >
        > Yes, it does.
        > The keys are created by the Oreans Technology code included in the Perseus software right for that purpose.
        >
        > 73s
        > Nico

      • monitor
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 3, 2010
          Hi Nico,

          Thanks for the response---as a general input to the group, note I have the oreans.sys file plus 27 registry entries in various sub-locations.   The first time it was detected, Oreans et al was removed---turns out it's one of those self-reinstalling sys files...it's back again.  I guess in this case that is a good thing.  I'll put the oreans stuff on a trusted list once i figure that out.

          best

          John C.
          _________________________

          iv3nwv wrote:
          --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, monitor <monitor@...> wrote:

          Hi John,

          My question:  does anyone know if the Perseus software, which is packed
          for security reasons, creates or causes the creation of the OREANS32.sys
          file and registry entries?

          Yes, it does.
          The keys are created by the Oreans Technology code included in the Perseus software right for that purpose.

          73s
          Nico

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              perseus_SDR-digest@yahoogroups.com
              perseus_SDR-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • iv3nwv
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 3, 2010
            Hi Wolfgang,

            > Interresting, Oreans Technology has an entry in their support page
            > http://www.oreans.com/kb/?View=entry&EntryID=174 about performance
            > problems using this stuff.

            The entry is just for those who don't know what a VM code interpreter does. There are a lot of ignorants out there and some explanation is often required.

            73s
            Nico
          • hmaier1959
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 3, 2010
              Nico,

              frankly, I was pretty shocked when I read what kind of stuff your software does install. To me this sounds like cracking a nut with a sledge hammer. 'Applications' like this Oreans stuff are the reason why Windows installations get cluttered up and begin to behave unpredictably after a while. The Perseus hardware cannot be copied easily. Why do you protect the software as if it were a 10.000 US$ corporate application? I have just built a new PC, and I won't install the Perseus software on it.

              73,Horst

              --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Wolfgang K." <oe1mww@...> wrote:

              > Interresting, Oreans Technology has an entry in their support page
              > http://www.oreans.com/kb/?View=entry&EntryID=174 about performance
              > problems using this stuff.
              >

              > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "iv3nwv" <nicopal@> wrote:
              > >

              > > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, monitor <monitor@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi John,
              > >
              > > > My question: does anyone know if the Perseus software, which is packed
              > > > for security reasons, creates or causes the creation of the OREANS32.sys
              > > > file and registry entries?
              > >
              > > Yes, it does.
              > > The keys are created by the Oreans Technology code included in the Perseus software right for that purpose.
              > >
              > > 73s
              > > Nico

            • iv3nwv
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 3, 2010
                --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "hmaier1959" <maiarho@...> wrote:

                >'Applications' like this Oreans stuff are the reason why Windows >installations get cluttered up and begin to behave unpredictably >after a while.

                That's really amazing, Horst.
                Systems become unpredictable just because people install cracked software versions from unreliable sources :-)
                Ask anybody.

                >The Perseus hardware cannot be copied easily.
                Why do you protect the >software as if it were a 10.000 US$ corporate application?

                Because the Perseus software is much more than a 10.000 US$ corporate application of course :-D

                >I have just built a new PC, and I won't install the Perseus software >on it.

                There are other SDRs around the world, i.e. Phil's QS1R, the RFSpace SDR-xx series and others. Please feel free to install their software on your system as you wish.
                Any decision you would like to take is up to you.
                That's freedom.

                73s
                Nico
              • dk9de
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 3, 2010
                  I feel your reply is just arrogant and meaningless. Without a doubt you have the right to protect your properties. However, it ends where your start to install compromising stuff on the users PC.

                  Anyway, I agree that there are other SDRs on the market, which most probably do not use such dubious strategies to protect the product. Good to know....

                  --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, monitor <monitor@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Nico,
                  >
                  > Thanks for the response---as a general input to the group, note I have
                  > the oreans.sys file plus 27 registry entries in various sub-locations.
                  > The first time it was detected, Oreans et al was removed---turns out
                  > it's one of those self-reinstalling sys files...it's back again. I
                  > guess in this case that is a good thing. I'll put the oreans stuff on a
                  > trusted list once i figure that out.
                  >
                  > best
                  >
                  > John C.
                  > _________________________
                  >
                  > iv3nwv wrote:
                  > > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, monitor <monitor@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi John,
                  > >

                  > >> My question: does anyone know if the Perseus software, which is packed
                  > >> for security reasons, creates or causes the creation of the OREANS32.sys
                  > >> file and registry entries?
                  > >>

                  > > Yes, it does.
                  > > The keys are created by the Oreans Technology code included in the Perseus software right for that purpose.
                  > >
                  > > 73s
                  > > Nico

                • Wolfgang K.
                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 4, 2010
                    --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "iv3nwv" <nicopal@...> wrote:
                    > Systems become unpredictable just because people install cracked software versions from unreliable sources :-) Ask anybody.

                    hm, unfortunately, we had different experiences in our company.
                    Legal bought software and getting rid of all kind of 'protections'
                    made our systems faster and more stable. And 'unreliable sources'
                    are risky in any aspect of our lifes ;-)

                    > There are other SDRs around the world, i.e. Phil's QS1R, the RFSpace SDR-xx series and others. Please feel free to install their software on your system as you wish.

                    talking about 'other software' GOOGLE for

                    "WinradHD" - there is a new version out with OmniRig control and other nice goodies.
                    "Winrad" - several flavours of Winrad, based on Alberto's original works.

                    They all work with Perseus hardware, showing no flicker on the screen,
                    doing nearly everything the Perseus Software does and having no
                    extra 27 entries in the Registry.

                    73
                    Wolfgang, OE1MWW
                  • Huw
                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 4, 2010
                      Is it the DLL that installs OREANS or the EXE, if the latter then DK9DE could use Winrad without 'compromising' his computer. Most (if not all) of windows flakyness is down to windows itself, I have never managed to crash Linux.

                      Someone once described the registry as 'the carpet microsoft invented to sweep under the bits they didn't know what to do with'. And IMHO is the main problem with windows, we are stuck with it if we want to use windows.

                      Huw
                      G7EBP
                    • Wolfgang K.
                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 4, 2010
                        --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Huw" <huwfinney@...> wrote:

                        > Is it the DLL that installs OREANS or the EXE...

                        Huw,

                        it's way more complicated. If Nico has this OREANS protection in his
                        code, there is no way (well, everything can be done) to get rid of this
                        oreans32.sys and all the entries in the Registry.

                        Live with it or use other software with the Perseus hardware ;-)

                        73
                        Wolfgang, OE1MWW
                      • Simon HB9DRV
                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 4, 2010

                          IMO anyone who could:

                          a) reverse-engineer Nico's code, and

                          b) understand it (it'll all be in nice X86 assembler)

                          would be able to write their own console in less time and with a lot less effort. There's very good source out there in internet-land (Winrad, PowerSDR & DSP) anyway.

                          I think I'm right in saying that Nico's approach does stop code being injected into his executable by nasty virus software, so this is a good thing.

                          Myself I have only reverse-engineered one program. That was 20 years ago and the strain on the brain just wasn't worth the effort.

                          Simon Brown, HB9DRV

                          http://sdr-radio.com

                          From: perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com [mailto:perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of sailor105@...

                          Because reverse engineering could kill your company in the longer run causing damage far far exceeding 10.000 USD.
                          I understand very well that Microtelecom doesn't want this to happen.

                        • Simon HB9DRV
                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 4, 2010

                            It would be easier to write from scratch, reverse-engineering is a pain. I only did it because the customer had lost the source code and it was *very* important banking software.

                            Simon Brown, HB9DRV

                            http://sdr-radio.com

                            From: perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com [mailto:perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of sailor105@...

                            But what if you would have a commercial goal and were willing to (under)pay a classroom of far-eastern software engineers ?

                          • iv3nwv
                            Message 13 of 18 , Apr 4, 2010
                              --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Wolfgang K." <oe1mww@...> wrote:

                              > talking about 'other software' GOOGLE for
                              >
                              > "WinradHD" - there is a new version out with OmniRig control and other nice goodies.
                              > "Winrad" - several flavours of Winrad, based on Alberto's original works.
                              >
                              > They all work with Perseus hardware, showing no flicker on the screen,
                              > doing nearly everything the Perseus Software does and having no
                              > extra 27 entries in the Registry.

                              Ok, Wolfgang, but the Perseus software has other nice features besides the flicker (which has been recently addressed, hopefully fixed, and soon available) which Winrad hasn't :-D
                              Maybe you don't need them but there they are.
                              Should I list them? Uhm, I don't think so. It would be much better that they were by unbiased guys. Not me, nor you (nor Alberto of course) :-D

                              BTW, the Perseus software uses much more than 27 entries in the windows registry. Much of them serves to store the software settings so that the software starts with a state which is not as random as it would be without them; they are one hundred or so, I've never counted.

                              Should we consider storing the bandwith of the 3 kHz Perseus IF filter in the Windows registry a system threat? :-)
                              That would be really funny, hi.

                              I sincerely consider this discussion sterile and very poor (please note that I'm not addressing my comment specifically to you).
                              The Microsoft Windows operating system relies on its registry for many purposes. Any software application which relies on the services exposed by the OS do exactely what the OS offers, so far you should better address Windows registry issues to Microsoft itself and not here.
                              I'm just using the tools I'm offered, the Windows registry included. Nothing more, nothing less, sorry.

                              73s
                              Nico / IV3NWV
                            • bdxc686
                              Message 14 of 18 , Apr 4, 2010
                                --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "iv3nwv" <nicopal@...> wrote:

                                > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Wolfgang K." <oe1mww@> wrote:
                                >
                                > > talking about 'other software' GOOGLE for
                                > >
                                > > "WinradHD" - there is a new version out with OmniRig control and other nice goodies.
                                > > "Winrad" - several flavours of Winrad, based on Alberto's original works.
                                > >
                                > > They all work with Perseus hardware, showing no flicker on the screen,
                                > > doing nearly everything the Perseus Software does and having no
                                > > extra 27 entries in the Registry.
                                >
                                > Ok, Wolfgang, but the Perseus software has other nice features besides the flicker (which has been recently addressed, hopefully fixed, and soon available) which Winrad hasn't :-D
                                > Maybe you don't need them but there they are.
                                > Should I list them? Uhm, I don't think so. It would be much better that they were by unbiased guys. Not me, nor you (nor Alberto of course) :-D
                                >
                                > BTW, the Perseus software uses much more than 27 entries in the windows registry. Much of them serves to store the software settings so that the software starts with a state which is not as random as it would be without them; they are one hundred or so, I've never counted.
                                >
                                > Should we consider storing the bandwith of the 3 kHz Perseus IF filter in the Windows registry a system threat? :-)
                                > That would be really funny, hi.
                                >
                                > I sincerely consider this discussion sterile and very poor (please note that I'm not addressing my comment specifically to you).
                                > The Microsoft Windows operating system relies on its registry for many purposes. Any software application which relies on the services exposed by the OS do exactely what the OS offers, so far you should better address Windows registry issues to Microsoft itself and not here.
                                > I'm just using the tools I'm offered, the Windows registry included. Nothing more, nothing less, sorry.
                                >
                                > 73s
                                > Nico / IV3NWV

                                Hi Nico....
                                Just having fun using my Perseus and noticed your message which included the mention of the window flicker soon to be hopefully rectified. Wonderful stuff om!!!
                                Hope you are keeping well and having some family time this Easter, sounds like you are working just like me over the Easter holidays.
                                Best 73's Nico.
                                Steve. UK.
                              • Wolfgang K.
                                Message 15 of 18 , Apr 4, 2010
                                  Nico,

                                  I wrote that there are 27 -extra- entries for the OREANS protection.
                                  I did not count them, someone else reported so. The OREANS tool
                                  creates false alarms with several Antivirus packages, because a lot
                                  of malware is using it too. GOOGLE it.

                                  Good software can store its settings in the registry, that's the
                                  way the operating system is built. Nobody ever complained about that.
                                  Oh yes, you complained once, because I have loaded them in the file
                                  section, just by the intend to promote your product by being used
                                  as a demo by non Perseus hardware owners. You have seen that different
                                  at that time.

                                  But complaints came about this protection scheme, that's all. And
                                  this is an open forum, at least I got the impression it is. Sorry
                                  to say, sometimes it's your response, that is leading to such discussions
                                  that you consider at the end to be 'sterile and poor' or as you wrote
                                  once - 'simplistic and cynical'.

                                  Just re-read your posts and and put yourself in the position of one of
                                  your customers. And as far as I can read, most of those people in the
                                  forum are your customers.

                                  73
                                  Wolfgang, OE1MWW

                                  --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "iv3nwv" <nicopal@...> wrote:
                                  > Ok, Wolfgang, but the Perseus software has other nice features besides the flicker (which has been recently addressed, hopefully fixed, and soon available) which Winrad hasn't :-D
                                  > Maybe you don't need them but there they are.
                                  > Should I list them? Uhm, I don't think so. It would be much better that they were by unbiased guys. Not me, nor you (nor Alberto of course) :-D
                                  >
                                  > BTW, the Perseus software uses much more than 27 entries in the windows registry. Much of them serves to store the software settings so that the software starts with a state which is not as random as it would be without them; they are one hundred or so, I've never counted.
                                  >
                                  > Should we consider storing the bandwith of the 3 kHz Perseus IF filter in the Windows registry a system threat? :-)
                                  > That would be really funny, hi.
                                  >
                                  > I sincerely consider this discussion sterile and very poor (please note that I'm not addressing my comment specifically to you).
                                  > The Microsoft Windows operating system relies on its registry for many purposes. Any software application which relies on the services exposed by the OS do exactely what the OS offers, so far you should better address Windows registry issues to Microsoft itself and not here.
                                  > I'm just using the tools I'm offered, the Windows registry included. Nothing more, nothing less, sorry.
                                  >
                                  > 73s
                                  > Nico / IV3NWV

                                • Nils Schiffhauer
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Apr 4, 2010
                                    Regarding 3rd party software, I am using SpectraVue with great pleasure:
                                    it provides some features, I would embrace from Perseus:
                                    * time.stamped channel occupancy charts over hours ("sonagram"), with
                                    excellent resolution plus scale-able over the whole display. Doing it
                                    just on WAV files even in time lapse motion.

                                    This I consider a desparately needed feature for professional
                                    monitoring. Alas, I seem to be the only one, thus I have to live with ;-)

                                    Of course I really like the record schedulers, Willi's Logtuner, and
                                    this little window, offering suggestions, on what can be heard at the
                                    tuned channel.

                                    After more than two and a half year using Perseus, I am still concvinced
                                    to never have used a more fascination & productive receiver in the last
                                    40 years. And I interprete the shaded WWW buttom as the morning dawn of
                                    what will be a real sunrise.

                                    Right, there are other SDRs around, and other software, too. They are
                                    interesting to use, and each and very one is free to do just that.
                                    Beside the hardware, also Perseus's Software gives far more feature per
                                    buck.

                                    Just have a look to the line of Icom, Yaesu, Kenwood & JRC if you are
                                    really in need get get a aware of the revolution, Perseus brought into
                                    SWLing. Or drop an eyer onto the receiving part of Flexradio's newest
                                    QRP Baby. You soon will realize that Perseus simply is State of the Art
                                    - with even some potential to be unfolded.
                                    And then compare price tags with other recent SDRs.

                                    I also don't like Windows, I also do see some things, I would like to be
                                    added as feature. But if I look around, for which receiver I would like
                                    to swap Perseus in its whole (hardware, software, features, price,
                                    performance ...), I haven't found one.
                                    By the way; I consider Perseus also a bonanza of hard & soft, which has
                                    to be filled with our ideas. Nico had thrown a lot of his ideao into it ...

                                    --
                                    73, Nils DK8OK
                                    Perseus, 96 m delta loop, 42 m windom

                                    Am 4/4/2010 5:21 PM, schrieb iv3nwv:

                                    > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com
                                    > <mailto:perseus_SDR%40yahoogroups.com>, "Wolfgang K." <oe1mww@...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > talking about 'other software' GOOGLE for
                                    > >
                                    > > "WinradHD" - there is a new version out with OmniRig control and
                                    > other nice goodies.
                                    > > "Winrad" - several flavours of Winrad, based on Alberto's original
                                    > works.
                                    > >
                                    > > They all work with Perseus hardware, showing no flicker on the screen,
                                    > > doing nearly everything the Perseus Software does and having no
                                    > > extra 27 entries in the Registry.
                                    >
                                    > Ok, Wolfgang, but the Perseus software has other nice features besides
                                    > the flicker (which has been recently addressed, hopefully fixed, and
                                    > soon available) which Winrad hasn't :-D
                                    > Maybe you don't need them but there they are.
                                    > Should I list them? Uhm, I don't think so. It would be much better
                                    > that they were by unbiased guys. Not me, nor you (nor Alberto of
                                    > course) :-D
                                    >
                                    > BTW, the Perseus software uses much more than 27 entries in the
                                    > windows registry. Much of them serves to store the software settings
                                    > so that the software starts with a state which is not as random as it
                                    > would be without them; they are one hundred or so, I've never counted.
                                    >
                                    > Should we consider storing the bandwith of the 3 kHz Perseus IF filter
                                    > in the Windows registry a system threat? :-)
                                    > That would be really funny, hi.
                                    >
                                    > I sincerely consider this discussion sterile and very poor (please
                                    > note that I'm not addressing my comment specifically to you).
                                    > The Microsoft Windows operating system relies on its registry for many
                                    > purposes. Any software application which relies on the services
                                    > exposed by the OS do exactely what the OS offers, so far you should
                                    > better address Windows registry issues to Microsoft itself and not here.
                                    > I'm just using the tools I'm offered, the Windows registry included.
                                    > Nothing more, nothing less, sorry.
                                    >
                                    > 73s
                                    > Nico / IV3NWV

                                  • bdxc686
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Apr 5, 2010
                                      Hi Group.....
                                      I could not have put this better myself....everything Nils wrote about the Perseus is correct. I too have used many many top of the range rx's/tx's over as many years and i have really enjoyed my Perseus for now just over one year. As a licenced operator was tempted by FlexRadio to use as an rx and of course a tx but my initial "playing time" at the shop where i bought it convinced me that this was the one to have and with all the work that has gone into it and is still going on, how could i not choose a Perseus!!!!
                                      ENJOY your Perseus!!!!
                                      Steve.
                                      UK.