Waterfall showing greyline propagation

  • schiffhauer.nils
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 18 2:42 AM
      Hi, everyone - recently I used Perseus' waterfall capability to show
      greyline propagation in the afternoon (end of October, 15:30 UTC)
      between Hawaii and my QTH nr Hannover/Northern Germany.
      For this purpose, WWVH on 5 MHz was used, because this transmitter has
      a distinctive pattern of audio tones of 500 Hz and 600 Hz at uneven and
      even minutes, respectively (see: http://tf.nist.gov/stations/iform.html)

      Although on this day the female announcer couldn't be dug up out of the
      noise, Kauai can be clearly identified due to the unique audio tone
      pattern. The first screenshot in photo section of this group shows the
      appropriate waterfall display:
      - Marker 1 the sub-carrier of BPM Lintong (this one being much stronger
      at that time!)
      - Marker 2 the sub-carrier of WWVH, carrying BCD coded time information
      - Marker 3 the 600 Hz audio tone of WWVH
      - Marker 4 the 500 Hz audio tone of WWVH
      Please observe, that the horizontal (sic!) position of each marker
      represents its actual HF level. The horizontal line around 5.001 came
      from some overspill of somewhat aggressively modulated Russian time
      signal station RWM on 4.996 kHz (a real signal, NOT a due to a possible
      inadequately stop-band attenuation of Perseus's filters, which I
      consider on par even with Telefunken's 200 kHz mechanical filter icons!)
      The second screenshot shows the twilight zones at the same time, thanks
      to VE3NEA's valuable DX-Atlas.
      The first screenshot has been reversed (negative instead of positive)
      for a bit more clearness.
      Have fun!
      73 Nils, DK8OK