Re: Please leave Nico alone ! - QS1R and Linrad

  • metalflash@gmx.de
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 2009
      Hi Leif,

      as QS1R already works under Linux, Mac and Windows, why Linrad? The
      software is Open Source so anyone unhappy with other software can sit
      down and write lots of software to their liking.

      73s Dieter KA4POL
    • Leif Asbrink
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2010
        Hi Dieter and all,

        First I want to apologize to Phil. It was not my intent to state
        any fact about QS1R, just explain why I did not include it
        among supported hardwares.

        Now I know that my impression about the stability of the QS1R
        was incorrect. I am now told that qs1r_revc_firmware_03082008_1.hex
        will work for all versions of QS1R. I may have been confused
        by the similarity in names of Quicksilver and Mercury....

        > as QS1R already works under Linux, Mac and Windows, why Linrad? The
        > software is Open Source so anyone unhappy with other software can sit
        > down and write lots of software to their liking.

        Linrad has some rather specialized algorithms for interference
        fighting that some of the Perseus users might benefit from.
        Here is an example with the SDR-IQ:
        www.sm5bsz.com/linuxdsp/usage/bengan/bengan.htm
        Try your favourite SDR software and compare with figure 6.

        Some QS1R users probably encounter QRM of a sort that Linrad can
        handle but not (yet?) the other softwares. That is the reason
        why I would like to include QS1R among supported hardwares.
        That way I would perhaps get some more feedback from difficult
        interference situations where current algorithms are not
        good enough. My interest is in the SDR algorithms, not the
        particular hardware.

        I will happily add QS1R to supported hardwares in Linrad if I
        can find out how to do it. The code is C++ and not directly
        readable for me....

        73

        Leif / SM5BSZ