RE: [perseus_SDR] Houston, I have a problem !

  • Guido Schotmans
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 4, 2009
      Hello Chris,

      Have you enabled 'optimize for performance' for your external drive ?

      73,

      Guido.

      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 4, 2009
        Guido,

        Interesting but not sure what you mean or how you do this.

        Thanks,

        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 4, 2009
          Chris,

          Right click in My Computer on your Sata drive, choose, Properties, go to Tab Hardware, choose again for your Sata drive and click on the properties button. Now go to the second tab (on my Dutch language system it is called Beleidsregels), There you can activate the radio button 'optimize for performance.

          This is what was doing the trick with my new medion drive.

          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 4, 2009
            I hope this not too off topic but I thought it might be of interest to
            members.

            There is some suggestion sunspots may not be coming back in numbers!

            http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2009/03sep_sunspots.htm?list1332944
          • Chris Black
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 4, 2009
              Thank you Guido !

              I think that did it. I never realized that option was there and could make so much difference. I can now record directly to my external drives and play back without distortion.

              Thanks again,

              Chris
              Cape Cod

              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 5, 2009
                Don't worry about trivial matters such as sunspot counts.

                I understand that the solutions to Maxwell's equations have a negative term.

                What we need is a receiver that can tune in to the backward time wave
                from broadcasters sending next Saturday night's Lotto numbers.

                I think Nico is the man and Perseus is the receiver.

                pbij2001 wrote:
                > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, Henry <hjrech@...> wrote:
                >
                >> I hope this not too off topic but I thought it might be of interest to
                >> members.
                >>
                >> There is some suggestion sunspots may not be coming back in numbers!
                >>
                >> http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2009/03sep_sunspots.htm?list1332944
                >>

                > Nico, do something about it!
                > I know you can emulate sunspots in software ;-)
                > A solar activity slider ?
                >
                > 73'
                > Paul
                > PD0PSB

              • Sylvain Naud
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 5, 2009
                  Following your advice, I did the same  for my USB2 connected 320 Gb WD HDD. It now works perfectly no matter which sampling rate is selected! I have NO stuttering at all when recording directly to the external drive. I would expect playback to be better too.

                  Thanks Guido for that valuable tip.

                  Sylvain Naud
                  Portneuf, QC
                  Canada

                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 5, 2009
                    I've just made a two minutes recording at 2000 kS/s. When playing back, sadly there was still some stuttering. So with my actual setup, it may work fine up to 1000kS/s. For a full 2000 kS/s, I guess I would need to upgrade to eSATA.

                    Sylvain

                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 5, 2009
                      This is quite embarassing...

                      I've just discovered that even listening live, I had that same stuttering issue. I then simply restarted the software and everything came back as it should be...even listening to that 2000 kS/s recording.

                      So please forget about my last email.

                      Sylvain

                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 5, 2009
                        Good job Sylvain,

                        That trick really helped my eSATA handle the 1600 recordings. My drive (from NewEgg) came with ports for USB, Firewire, and the ExpressCard. I don't have an ExpressCard on the desk computer so am using the Firewire connection but I am having no problems with recording and playback.

                        I do have the ExpressCard slot on the laptop so will use that option with the eSATA for out-of-shack DXing.

                        One thing I noticed with my multiple connection drive. If the drive is connected to the computer via USB, and you do the "optimize for performance" trick, you should connect it again with the Firewire connection and do the "optimize for performance" and then again with the ExpressCard connection. Apparently the computer considers that you have three separate drives.

                        Chris
                        Cape Cod

                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 6, 2009
                          > Nico, do something about it!
                          > I know you can emulate sunspots in software ;-)
                          > A solar activity slider ?

                          :-D

                          And why not directly modifying the sun cycle with some state-of-the-art technology?
                          It is well known that the right mixture of hydrogen, helium and beer (the latter in a plasma state of course) has really interesting magnetical properties.

                          73
                          Nico
                        • Alberto I2PHD
                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 7, 2009
                            iv3nwv wrote:
                            And why not directly modifying the sun cycle with some state-of-the-art technology?
                            It is well known that the right mixture of hydrogen, helium and beer (the latter in
                            a plasma state of course) has really interesting magnetical properties.

                            Guys, sorry to disappoint you, but the approaching of the end of the Maya Fifth Sun (it will end Dec. 21, 2012),
                            apparently means also the end of the sun spots cycles... look here :

                            http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2009/03sep_sunspots.htm

                            73  Alberto  I2PHD

                            P.S. If you don't know what the Maya Fifth Sun is, look here :
                            http://www.soulsofdistortion.nl/2012_3.html

                          • Alberto I2PHD
                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 7, 2009
                              pbij2001 wrote:
                              Yes, Alberto, looking at plots & predictions, I think the sun had enough beer & helium already... ;-)

                              The worst aspect of a new Ice Age would ofcourse be the lack of HF propagations...

                              73'
                              Paul
                              PD0PSB
                              Paul,

                                maybe there is still some hope.... if you look at the trend in that Nasa paper, it seems that in a few years we will have
                              a "negative" numbers of sunspots.... this should help the propagation long-path....  :-)

                              73  Alberto  I2PHD