Re: [perseus_SDR] Sound cards & " What you hear" function .

  • Hans Remeeus
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 5 10:44 PM
      Yesterday I connected the Perseus (with COM0COM and BobCAT, together
      with the Icom IC-7700) on a Dell Vostro 1220 laptop and it works flawless!!

      Thanks to Franz DG1FHA http://www.dg1fha.de/23.html

      73,
      Hans Remeeus (PA1HR)
      http://www.remeeus.eu
      Communication is about people, the rest is technology.

      > Jean Jacquemin wrote:
      > I'am lucky to have a SB Audigy 2 ZS with the " what U hear " function,
      > so that I do not need VAC or other to make Perseus communicate with
      > audio softwares.
      > As I intend to purchase a new PC , I checked whether more recent SB cards
      > also have this function, which seems true, at least for some models...
      > BUT , from what I read on forums, it seems like DELL for some unknown
      > reason deliberately inhibit the " What u hear" on their recent sound cards !
      > Some found a way to get round by tricky and complicated manipulations , with
      > installing drivers different from the original ones...
      >
      > Did someone here experience this problem ?

    • dirk.claessens
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 6 12:40 PM
        --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, Jean Jacquemin <jean.jacquemin3@...> wrote:

        > BUT , from what I read on forums, it seems like DELL for some unknown
        > reason deliberately inhibit the " What u hear" on their recent >sound cards !

        Hi Jean,

        This is/was true. I purchased a Dell laptop 2 years ago and it indeed had no "what u hear" or "Mixer WaveOut" function. Note that most soundcards natively have this ability, but that Dell had disabled it in their driver! Users complained furiously about this and somewhere in 2008 Dell has released new drivers solving the "problem".
        So I _guess_ you're safe but if I were you, I would demand a hard money-back guarantee on this issue in the PC-shop!

        Regards - Dirk