Re: [perseus_SDR] Sound cards & " What you hear" function .

  • Hans Remeeus
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2009
      Hello Jean,

      Is this with all recent Dell computers; desktops, laptops?

      73,
      Hans Remeeus (PA1HR)
      http://www.remeeus.eu
      Communication is about people, the rest is technology.

      Jean Jacquemin schreef:
      > I'am lucky to have a SB Audigy 2 ZS with the " what U hear " function,
      > so that I do not need VAC or other to make Perseus communicate with
      > audio softwares.
      > As I intend to purchase a new PC , I checked whether more recent SB cards
      > also have this function, which seems true, at least for some models...
      > BUT , from what I read on forums, it seems like DELL for some unknown
      > reason deliberately inhibit the " What u hear" on their recent sound cards !
      > Some found a way to get round by tricky and complicated manipulations , with
      > installing drivers different from the original ones...
      >
      > Did someone here experience this problem ?

    • Jean Jacquemin
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2009
        On Sat, 01 Aug 2009 09:40:32 +0200, you wrote:

        >Hello Jean,
        >
        >Is this with all recent Dell computers; desktops, laptops?

        Unfortunately, I lost the thread I mentioned, but a google search
        will bring many posts on this issue.
        Apparently this would concern mainly desktops with a sound card
        that has the " what U hear" ability . Besides it's not only Dell, since
        some HP owners also notice the same.
        It's said this is not a technical problem , but related
        to some copyright or market policy , so this function is deliberately
        disabled to prevent users from recording streaming audio on the
        web .( Weird...!!?)
        Though, it must also be said that not all the recent Sound Blaster
        cards do have this ability , so better make sure before taking the
        plunge for a new PC !
      • Hans Remeeus
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 5, 2009
          Yesterday I connected the Perseus (with COM0COM and BobCAT, together
          with the Icom IC-7700) on a Dell Vostro 1220 laptop and it works flawless!!

          Thanks to Franz DG1FHA http://www.dg1fha.de/23.html

          73,
          Hans Remeeus (PA1HR)
          http://www.remeeus.eu
          Communication is about people, the rest is technology.

          > Jean Jacquemin wrote:
          > I'am lucky to have a SB Audigy 2 ZS with the " what U hear " function,
          > so that I do not need VAC or other to make Perseus communicate with
          > audio softwares.
          > As I intend to purchase a new PC , I checked whether more recent SB cards
          > also have this function, which seems true, at least for some models...
          > BUT , from what I read on forums, it seems like DELL for some unknown
          > reason deliberately inhibit the " What u hear" on their recent sound cards !
          > Some found a way to get round by tricky and complicated manipulations , with
          > installing drivers different from the original ones...
          >
          > Did someone here experience this problem ?

        • dirk.claessens
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 6, 2009
            --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, Jean Jacquemin <jean.jacquemin3@...> wrote:

            > BUT , from what I read on forums, it seems like DELL for some unknown
            > reason deliberately inhibit the " What u hear" on their recent >sound cards !

            Hi Jean,

            This is/was true. I purchased a Dell laptop 2 years ago and it indeed had no "what u hear" or "Mixer WaveOut" function. Note that most soundcards natively have this ability, but that Dell had disabled it in their driver! Users complained furiously about this and somewhere in 2008 Dell has released new drivers solving the "problem".
            So I _guess_ you're safe but if I were you, I would demand a hard money-back guarantee on this issue in the PC-shop!

            Regards - Dirk