Re: Perseus and other control software

  • Andy Fyodoroff
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 1, 2009
      Hi Nico,

      many thanks for your great effort and investing to the HAM Radio community.

      I've purchased "Perseus" in the Friedrichshafen a few days ago and all is working OK (except DRM), but this is another story. I need time to carefully investigate all of corners of this SDR.

      I am not profi in the SDR technology but for instance I assume that the real timing CW monitoring is not good idea, because SDR has audio output with some delay an about 300-500ms. However screen (display) shows up in the real timing process.

      Thanks again and 73

      HB9/KL1A Andrew
    • dieterkuespert
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 1, 2009
        Hi,
        if you should be interested in buying a QS1R I could relate you to a person who wants to sell one of his two boards. May be you can get yourself a good deal.
        Please contact me off list.
        Cheers
        Dieter

        --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "he0lga" <he0lga@...> wrote:

        > Good afternoon to All!
        >
        > I am user of Perseus since May 2009. I found this hardware is well but software for control radio is very ugly! This is big enigma to me what is producer don't like going ahead with modern progress. Last update of driver and repairing of bugs from March 2009. I was trying to fing contact adress of Microtelecom site but is no result. For this moment I am thinking about Quick Silver SDR radio.
        > Below list of features which is not realised:
        > 1) No scanning
        > 2) Not possible to use keys for control freq (other program I not like to use)
        > 3) Poor design of waterfall, small resolution
        > 4) Att is not working correct
        > 5) Poor DSP for demodulation SSB signals (Winradio G305 professional is better for SSB. There is much options for adjusting DSP filters)
        > My opinion: producer odering software somewhere. This is don't give chance get new really powerfull radio!

      • dieterkuespert
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 1, 2009
          Hi,
          my mail to you bounced. I have forwarded your address so the chap can contact you. Sorry for the difficulties.
          Cheers
          Dieter

          --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "he0lga" <he0lga@...> wrote:

          > Good afternoon to All!
          >
          > I am user of Perseus since May 2009. I found this hardware is well but software for control radio is very ugly! This is big enigma to me what is producer don't like going ahead with modern progress. Last update of driver and repairing of bugs from March 2009. I was trying to fing contact adress of Microtelecom site but is no result. For this moment I am thinking about Quick Silver SDR radio.
          > Below list of features which is not realised:
          > 1) No scanning
          > 2) Not possible to use keys for control freq (other program I not like to use)
          > 3) Poor design of waterfall, small resolution
          > 4) Att is not working correct
          > 5) Poor DSP for demodulation SSB signals (Winradio G305 professional is better for SSB. There is much options for adjusting DSP filters)
          > My opinion: producer odering software somewhere. This is don't give chance get new really powerfull radio!

        • Leif Asbrink
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 1, 2009
            Hello Steve and ???,

            > //update of driver and repairing of bugs from March 2009.
            > //I was trying //to fing contact adress of Microtelecom
            > //site but is no result. For this moment I am thinking
            > //about Quick Silver SDR radio.
            > > Below list of features which is not realised:
            > > 1) No scanning
            > > 2) Not possible to use keys for control freq
            > > 3) Poor design of waterfall, small resolution
            > > 4) Att is not working correct
            > > 5) Poor DSP for demodulation SSB signals (Winradio G305 professional is better for SSB. There is much options for adjusting DSP filters)
            > > My opinion: producer odering software somewhere. This is don't give
            >
            > For 1 and 2 you don't find that in any other SDRs interface either;
            This is not quite true. In Linrad you can control the receive frequency
            by use of the left and the right arrow. The frequency step size is
            controlled by '+' or '-' (to double or half the frequency step) The
            action is identical to the stepping you would get by turning a wheel
            mouse (turning a depressed wheel is equivalent to '+' or '-')

            There are three tuning modes. Press M to toggle metween modes.

            T=Normal tuning.
            P=Passband tuning.
            B=BFO tuning.

            The passband tuning moves the passband up or down while keeping
            the relation between the BFO and the antenna signal unchanges.
            Combine that with arrow up or arrow down to increase or decrease the
            filter bandwidth.

            Tuning can be done with the mouse also (of course) but I personally
            find keyboard tuning much more convenient.

            > "perseuskeyboard" works fine and can be started at the same
            > time as the main perseus exe so that you only have one short cut.
            > As for scanning this is LF/MF/SW :-) hihi you don't scan you tune :-)
            I do not understand what kind of function you refer to by "scanning".
            As far as I know nobody has asked for something like that from
            an SDR. A good waterfall gives far more information....

            > The waterfall can be zoomed in to a very narrow range (as the
            > FFT can) and there are other third party programs that will run
            > the perseus hardware with full screen waterfalls.
            Like Linrad;-)

            With Linrad you can optimize the waterfall for different kinds of
            analysis. You may run it together with Watzo which will allow immediate
            zooming in and out on very large spectra.

            > What's up with the ATT? I have used a couple of perseus's now
            > and not seen any issues? Do you think the ATT should lower the
            > S meter reading or raise it? Or is the calibration wrong?
            Maybe the accurate level meter of the Perseus should not
            be called an S-meter. It shows RMS power within the selected
            bandwidth for whatever signal that is connected to the antenna
            and it always shows the correct reading. (The noise figure of
            the Perseus degrades when the attenuator is switched in, but
            under many circumstances external noise dominates and then the
            attenuator makes no noticeable difference at all.)

            > I must say the SSB resolves audio far better than any other
            > radio I have used in the last few years (my NRD looked nice
            > but had very wooly audio - even tweaked it was not the best)
            > and that includes hardware many times the price of the perseus.
            >
            > My oldish 1792 has -very very very very- good SSB audio but
            > then again for its new price I could have bought 6 perseus's ...
            >
            > Oh also remember the winradio is *not* a true SDR no matter
            > what people claim ... so it never will be as flexible as your
            > perseus is.
            >
            > Having used a 313i I am not sure what you cannot adjust on
            > the perseus that the winradio can adjust that has a dramatic
            > effect on the ssb audio. But it has been a while since mine
            > went to eBay :-)

            > > 5) Poor DSP for demodulation SSB signals (Winradio G305
            > > professional is better for SSB. There is much options for
            > > adjusting DSP filters)
            It is unclear what ??? means by this statement. "Poor DSP for
            demodulation SSB signals." In the first place the term
            "demodulation" is misleading (if not incorrect) when describing
            the reception of SSB signals.

            There may be errors in your soundcard. (Some mixer programs
            may not do what you expect them to do) and that could cause
            distortion. With properly working sound system you should
            not see any distortion from the Perseus.

            I think I can assume that you are dissatisfied with the filter
            in the Perseus (because distortion is not really likely.)
            Can you describe what you want? (Maybe you already have
            it in the Perseus without knowing how to use it...)

            Linrad is free software. You may modify the code as you want and
            adding things like a scanning function would be pretty easy
            (You would put it into users_hwaredriver.c) Compilers and other
            tools are open source that you can download for free from the
            Internet.
            http://www.sm5bsz.com/linuxdsp/linrad.htm

            73

            Leif / SM5BSZ