Re: FMSCAN userlist for Perseus with comlete LW/MW/SW and dB values

  • peeraxel
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2009
      Hi, Bernd,
      the values are dBm and they are negative. I just left away the "-"
      because of the narrow format - every character counts.

      The reference is a Perseus with an ALA1530S magnetic loop antenna and
      50m standard coax cable (RG58) as I have it here. You can add an
      overall gain/loss before downloading the list.

      But still the prediction needs a lot of improvement - that's what I'm
      working on at the moment. It works quite fine on MW for stations at
      night up to 3000 km. Everything else is just a rough guess. The
      difficulty on SW are the broadcasts with varying signal strengths over
      longer time periods.

      good dx
      Peer-Axel, DL2LBP

      > Hi,
      >

      > first all thank you fort his super list!
      >
      > One question: How can I interpret the dB-values? I understand that
      smaller
      > values mean weaker signals – but on what basis?
      >
      > Is it dBm then it should be negative values, is it dBµV then stronger
      > signals would mean greater values….
      >
      > Can anybody explain?
      >

      > Bernd, DF9RB

    • oe1mww
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2009
        --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Wiesgickl" <wiesgickl@...> wrote:
        ... One question: How can I interpret the dB-values? I understand
        that smaller values mean weaker signals – but on what basis?

        Bernd, try to use GOOGLE with 'dBm table' or dBm value' and you will
        find tons of explanations for this.
        http://www.articlesbase.com/communication-articles/what-is-a-
        dbm-439384.html

        73

        Wolfgang OE1MWW
      • peeraxel
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 2, 2009
          ... some more bugfixes:

          - no special characters codes (like #&316;) anymore, now replaced by
          standard characters
          - no '????' for on-time and off-time anymore (these stations were not
          shown by the Perseus)
          - '0' in the power column is left away (where power is unknown)
        • peeraxel
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 16, 2009
            The FMSCAN userlist now includes almost  6000 non-directional beacons (NDBs) for LW and MW. They've been imported from the RWW database. Special thanks go to Martin Francis.

            73 Peer-Axel DL2LBP
          • peeraxel
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 23, 2009
              Some improvements for the Perseus userlist on fmscan.org again:

              - summer schedule update (since April)
              - many corrected station names
              - fewer double entries (only left where different sources contain conflicting data)

              The list is full range LW/MW/SW and combines HFCC, Eibi, TBL  and some manual editing.
              It also includes beacons (by RWW), many offsets (exact frequencies by 1/10 Hz) for LW/MW and a signal strength prediction for the receiver's location (stations listed from strongest to weakest on each frequency).

              http://fmscan.org/perseus.php

              Have fun!
              Peer-Axel
              DL2LBP
            • peeraxel
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 27, 2010
                the winter schedule is now ready for downloading. The userlist is now 100% fed by AMLIST , main sources are still EiBi, TBL and HFCC. Changes in AMLIST will be visible immediately in the generated userlist.

                http://fmscan.org/perseus.php