QRM reduction: a video example

  • Nils Schiffhauer
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 23, 2009
      Hallo - as Perseus seems a complex device to many people not being used to
      SDRs so far (like even the testers of QST ...), I tested the combined power
      of video and audio:
      http://web.mac.com/nils.schiffhauer/Website/H%C3%B6ren/Eintr%C3%A4ge/2009/2/
      20_Eintrag_1_1.html

      This one-minute movie shows, how reception of AFN Diego Garcia on 4.319 kHz
      can be optimized via bandwidth reduction and notch filter tuning. The
      improvement of audio, heard in parallel, is dramatically.

      It's easy to imagine, that such videos should be an important tool for
      future manuals, and test reports.

      73 Nils, DK8OK

      ――――――――――――――
      . QTH Burgdorf 52.27N 10.01E | RX Perseus | ANT 41 m Windom @12 m · 96 m
      Delta Loop @12 m · DX-One | Software · Decoder Wavecom W-CL · SpectraPlus ·
      SBSpectrum · NDBFinder | PC Dual Core @3,3 GHz |
      http://web.mac.com/nils.schiffhauer
    • Nico iv3nwv
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 23, 2009
        Hi Nils,
        your comments are always really welcome and add a great value to what
        we (Alessio, Cesare, Marco, Rosy and me) have done here at Microtelecom.
        The user perspective is really important and your independent
        contribution helps our community better understanding our efforts.
        I'll always be grateful to you for this.

        I'm also glad to announce you that I'm working to create some more
        work for you :-D
        In the next software release (I hope to release it by the end of
        February) I've added a couple of smart filters which will extend the
        (imho) already good features we implemented in the software.
        The first filter is an adaptive filter for CW which outperforms
        conventional NR techniques and improves dramatically the SNR of weak
        CW signals. The second one is an adaptive auto-notch filter meant for
        SSB operations which is really impressive and adds to the already
        existing variable-width manual notch filter of Perseus.
        Both of these filters are based on an algorithm that has nothing to do
        with the conventional LMS noise/interference suppression techniques (I
        think they are quite an original development) and I'm sure that you
        will appreciate them.
        Beside these filters, we have worked also to another couple of
        features, mainly the memory banks (now sortable and with an extended
        browser window) and to a special AGC block thought for the DRM which
        will exhibit less SNR losses.

        So far be prepared! ;-D
        Probably I won't be able to explain what all of this is for without
        your unevaluable skills in translating ideas into experience.

        Nico
      • Nils Schiffhauer
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 24, 2009

          What a day, Nico! Your announcement let smelt the ice on our little pond! I am more than curious, because: if you speak about “dramatically improvements”, others would have announced that as “Greatest Show on Earth”.

          A more flexible memory bank will be also embraced, as an even higher SNR is by the DRM community.

          I hope to be ready on the weekend to play around with those addition (BTW: have I to have my MC at hand to unlock these new features?!).

          73 Nils

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 24, 2009
            is any one can let me know how i can lock the Bobcat to stay in the Perseus
            program ?
            i every time i start the Perseus program i need to start as well the BobCAT .
            is there a way to open only the perseus so the Bobcat will be there?
            any one .

            vy73
            and all the best
            Elan g0uut

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 24, 2009
              Elan,

              If you click the padlock icon (lower right) on BobCAT, its position stays locked to Perseus, even when you restart the programs. However, BobCAT needs to be launched separately, after Perseus is running.

              73,

              Guy Atkins
              Puyallup, WA USA

              On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 11:13 AM, elan paim <paimg0uut@...> wrote:

              is any one can let me know how i can lock the Bobcat to stay in the Perseus
              program ?
              i every time i start the Perseus program i need to start as well the BobCAT .
              is there a way to open only the perseus so the Bobcat will be there?
              any one .

              vy73
              and all the best
              Elan g0uut

              Yahoo! Finance

              It's Now Personal

              Guides, news,

              advice & more.

              Drive Traffic

              Sponsored Search

              can help increase

              your site traffic.

              Group Charity

              Give a laptop

              Get a laptop: One

              laptop per child

              .

            • elan paim
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 24, 2009
                Hello Guy
                thank you
                for this info will try it then , is there any way to start only the Perseus
                that the bobcat will be there and not to start 2 program every time
                i just wonder if this possible?
                thank's Guy

                vy73
                and all the best
                Elan g0uut

                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 24, 2009
                  Hi Elan,

                  This can be done with a simple batch file (*.BAT). You can then run the .bat file to start Perseus and BobCAT, or create a shortcut to the .bat and launch the two programs that way.

                  If you do a Google search on "launch two programs one shortcut" you will find different Web pages describing how to do this. All you need it Windows Notepad, and save your file as a .BAT instead of a .TXT.

                  73,

                  Guy Atkins
                  Puyallup, WA USA

                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 24, 2009
                    thank you Guy for this info

                    vy73
                    and all the best
                    Elan g0uut

                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 24, 2009
                      Excellent advice, Guy. I just created a batch file which starts PerseusKeyboard.exe and the Perseus Databases. As PerseusKeyboard starts Perseus automatically anyway, I get my 3 standard applications running with one doubleclick.
                      I just prepared a second batch file for Perseus + HRD + DM780 as a setup for digital decoding.

                      vy 73,
                      Willi

                      Perseus Software Guide v13 available
                      & Perseus Databases:
                      http://www.4shared.com/dir/5567845/166a39bd/sharing.html
                      Visual Logbook of MWList & TBL:
                      http://www.mwlist.org/mw_logmap.php?la=en

                      Guy Atkins schrieb:
[...]

                    • bdxc686
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 12, 2009
                        If i download Bobcat does it "attach" itself permanantly to my Perseus?
                        i like the look of it and would like to try it out.
                        Steve.
                      • Highq
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 12, 2009
                          Hi Steve,

                          yes, if "lock button" is pressed, BobCAT is "glued" over PERSEUS.

                          73 Beppe
                          IK3VIG

                          www.cqdx.it

                          At 18.16 12/05/2009, you wrote:

                          If i download Bobcat does it "attach" itself permanantly to my Perseus?
                          i like the look of it and would like to try it out.
                          Steve.

                        • steve calver
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 12, 2009

                              Hi Beppe.
                              Thank you very much for your help.....
                              The Perseus group is certainly filled with very helpful members....!!!!
                              I am still having problems with VAc and Dream software. I have a very new laptop with all the original space etc and its on windows vista. so in theory it should be fine.
                            anyhow I will keep trying.
                            I am extremely pleased with the Perseus and Nico should be very proud of his achievements.

                          • jrodick@bellsouth.net
                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 20, 2013
                              I am running windows 7 (32 bit ) Is there a version of Bobcat that will work on Windows 7? I just downloaded the current version from Woodboxradio website and found it not to work. Please assist.

                              Thanks

                              Joseph Rodick