Perseus and Windows 7

  • olleoverby
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 30, 2009
      I have tried Perseus with Windows7, but no success (Perseus not
      found). Cyusb.sys in system32/drivers.

      What is wrong ?

      Olle
    • tore
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 8, 2012

        I am installing Perseus on a new computer – Asus K55VM – with Windows 7.

        When starting I get the following message: "Firmware download error" and I am not able to start receiving.

        When I try to update the driver I get this: "The best driver for this unit is installed" (Perseus HF Receiver (WinUSB)).

        I have installed Perseus both on XP and Vista with no problems like this – I have also tested the receiver unit against another PC with Vista – and it is working.

        Anybody out there who can guide me on to the right track.

        Tore B Vik

      • dl4raj
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 9, 2012
          Tore,

          I assume that your new PC has some USB*3* ports
          and you have tried to use one whith perseus.
          I assume also that there is also at least one USB*2*
          port available.
          De-install the perseus driver then re- install it
          and connect the perseus USB cable with the
          USB*2* port.
          That's what has worked for me with the same problem.

          73
          Clemens
          DL4RAJ

          --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "tore" <tvi2@...> wrote:

          > I am installing Perseus on a new computer – Asus K55VM – with
          > Windows 7.
          >
          > When starting I get the following message: "Firmware download
          > error" and I am not able to start receiving.
          >
          > When I try to update the driver I get this: "The best driver for
          > this unit is installed" (Perseus HF Receiver (WinUSB)).
          >
          > I have installed Perseus both on XP and Vista with no problems like this
          > – I have also tested the receiver unit against another PC with Vista
          > – and it is working.
          >
          > Anybody out there who can guide me on to the right track.
          >
          > Tore B Vik

        • rezeiwer
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 9, 2012
            Hi
            I have exactly the same problem with my brand new Acer V3-571 laptop with Windows 7 64 bit, same problem with both USB3 and USB2 ports. Installed both latest chip set and USB drivers from Intel. It seems the new drivers are unmature with the devices?

            73 Jarmo

            --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "dl4raj" <cpaul@...> wrote:

            > Tore,
            >
            > I assume that your new PC has some USB*3* ports
            > and you have tried to use one whith perseus.
            > I assume also that there is also at least one USB*2*
            > port available.
            > De-install the perseus driver then re- install it
            > and connect the perseus USB cable with the
            > USB*2* port.
            > That's what has worked for me with the same problem.
            >
            > 73
            > Clemens
            > DL4RAJ
            >

            > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "tore" <tvi2@> wrote:
            > >

            > > I am installing Perseus on a new computer – Asus K55VM – with
            > > Windows 7.
            > >
            > > When starting I get the following message: "Firmware download
            > > error" and I am not able to start receiving.
            > >
            > > When I try to update the driver I get this: "The best driver for
            > > this unit is installed" (Perseus HF Receiver (WinUSB)).
            > >
            > > I have installed Perseus both on XP and Vista with no problems like this
            > > – I have also tested the receiver unit against another PC with Vista
            > > – and it is working.
            > >
            > > Anybody out there who can guide me on to the right track.
            > >
            > > Tore B Vik

          • dl4raj
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 9, 2012
              Did you try to completely deinstall perseus driver
              and then reinstall it while using the usb2 port for
              perseus?

              Clemens
              DL4RAJ

              --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "rezeiwer" <jarmo.patala@...> wrote:

              > Hi
              > I have exactly the same problem with my brand new Acer V3-571 laptop with Windows 7 64 bit, same problem with both USB3 and USB2 ports. Installed both latest chip set and USB drivers from Intel. It seems the new drivers are unmature with the devices?
              >
              > 73 Jarmo
              >
              > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "dl4raj" <cpaul@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Tore,
              > >
              > > I assume that your new PC has some USB*3* ports
              > > and you have tried to use one whith perseus.
              > > I assume also that there is also at least one USB*2*
              > > port available.
              > > De-install the perseus driver then re- install it
              > > and connect the perseus USB cable with the
              > > USB*2* port.
              > > That's what has worked for me with the same problem.
              > >
              > > 73
              > > Clemens
              > > DL4RAJ
              > >

              > > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "tore" <tvi2@> wrote:
              > > >

              > > > I am installing Perseus on a new computer – Asus K55VM – with
              > > > Windows 7.
              > > >
              > > > When starting I get the following message: "Firmware download
              > > > error" and I am not able to start receiving.
              > > >
              > > > When I try to update the driver I get this: "The best driver for
              > > > this unit is installed" (Perseus HF Receiver (WinUSB)).
              > > >
              > > > I have installed Perseus both on XP and Vista with no problems like this
              > > > – I have also tested the receiver unit against another PC with Vista
              > > > – and it is working.
              > > >
              > > > Anybody out there who can guide me on to the right track.
              > > >
              > > > Tore B Vik

            • rezeiwer
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 9, 2012
                Yes I did, I also tried with external powered Belkin usb2-hub, same problem continues. Perseus is running with out problems with my older HP mini laptop with XP...

                --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "dl4raj" <cpaul@...> wrote:

                > Did you try to completely deinstall perseus driver
                > and then reinstall it while using the usb2 port for
                > perseus?
                >
                > Clemens
                > DL4RAJ
                >

                > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "rezeiwer" <jarmo.patala@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi
                > > I have exactly the same problem with my brand new Acer V3-571 laptop with Windows 7 64 bit, same problem with both USB3 and USB2 ports. Installed both latest chip set and USB drivers from Intel. It seems the new drivers are unmature with the devices?
                > >
                > > 73 Jarmo
                > >
                > > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "dl4raj" <cpaul@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Tore,
                > > >
                > > > I assume that your new PC has some USB*3* ports
                > > > and you have tried to use one whith perseus.
                > > > I assume also that there is also at least one USB*2*
                > > > port available.
                > > > De-install the perseus driver then re- install it
                > > > and connect the perseus USB cable with the
                > > > USB*2* port.
                > > > That's what has worked for me with the same problem.
                > > >
                > > > 73
                > > > Clemens
                > > > DL4RAJ

              • Thomas Damboldt
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 9, 2012
                  E-Mail Software 6.0 Did you assign different TCP and UDP ports in your router for the new computer? Each computer needs its own ports opened.
                  73
                  Thomas, DJ5DT

                  "rezeiwer" <jarmo.patala@...> wrote:

                  Yes I did, I also tried with external powered Belkin usb2-hub, same problem continues. Perseus is running with out problems with my older HP mini laptop with XP...

                  --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "dl4raj" <cpaul@...> wrote:

                  > Did you try to completely deinstall perseus driver
                  > and then reinstall it while using the usb2 port for
                  > perseus?
                  >
                  > Clemens
                  > DL4RAJ
                  >

                  > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "rezeiwer" <jarmo.patala@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi
                  > > I have exactly the same problem with my brand new Acer V3-571 laptop with Windows 7 64 bit, same problem with both USB3 and USB2 ports. Installed both latest chip set and USB drivers from Intel. It seems the new drivers are unmature with the devices?
                  > >
                  > > 73 Jarmo
                  > >
                  > > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "dl4raj" <cpaul@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Tore,
                  > > >
                  > > > I assume that your new PC has some USB*3* ports
                  > > > and you have tried to use one whith perseus.
                  > > > I assume also that there is also at least one USB*2*
                  > > > port available.
                  > > > De-install the perseus driver then re- install it
                  > > > and connect the perseus USB cable with the
                  > > > USB*2* port.
                  > > > That's what has worked for me with the same problem.
                  > > >
                  > > > 73
                  > > > Clemens
                  > > > DL4RAJ

                • Mark Ku7z
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 9, 2012
                    I am running Perseus on a Win7 64 bit computer here without any problems
                    at the moment. Looking at the device manager it appears to be on a USB
                    composite device port. Not sure if that means its a generic port or not.
                    The windows drivers are from service pack 1 if I am reading the
                    descriptions correctly. I can send along the driver details that windows
                    is using if that would help. If there is anything I can look at here
                    that might help let me know.

                    73, Mark, Ku7z

                    On 9/9/2012 6:52 AM, rezeiwer wrote:
                    > Yes I did, I also tried with external powered Belkin usb2-hub, same problem continues. Perseus is running with out problems with my older HP mini laptop with XP...
                    >

                    > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "dl4raj" <cpaul@...> wrote:
                    >> Did you try to completely deinstall perseus driver
                    >> and then reinstall it while using the usb2 port for
                    >> perseus?
                    >>
                    >> Clemens
                    >> DL4RAJ
                    >>

                    >> --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "rezeiwer" <jarmo.patala@> wrote:
                    >>> Hi
                    >>> I have exactly the same problem with my brand new Acer V3-571 laptop with Windows 7 64 bit, same problem with both USB3 and USB2 ports. Installed both latest chip set and USB drivers from Intel. It seems the new drivers are unmature with the devices?
                    >>>
                    >>> 73 Jarmo

                  • Tore B. Vik
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 9, 2012
                      I have no router activated. My Perseus don´t start as I am used to using
                      Vista/Win7.

                      I have erased the anti-virus programme (Norton) and shut down the router.

                      I have collected a computer which I use with a Perseus in my cabin. This
                      also have Windows 7. So I have one which work and another which don´t. Both
                      produced by Asus - just a year between.

                      I have de-installed the driver and installed it again and connected the
                      receiver via USB2 port and the same result - "Firmware download
                      error".
                      This is a brand new Perseus and I have tried up against the Vista/Win7 and
                      it works OK.

                      So - I started with Device Manager and Perseus HF Receiver (WinUSB) -
                      Properties where the working one had the following placing:
                      Port_#000.1.HUB_#0005 - the not working one had this:
                      0(PORT_#0002.HUB_#0001). I am not a computer man so I don´t understand this,
                      but may be someone have the knowledge.

                      So tried the upgrade possibility and I got the message that the best driver
                      for this equpiment was in use.

                      73´s de ToreB

                      I am running Perseus on a Win7 64 bit computer here without any problems at
                      the moment. Looking at the device manager it appears to be on a USB
                      composite device port. Not sure if that means its a generic port or not.
                      The windows drivers are from service pack 1 if I am reading the descriptions
                      correctly. I can send along the driver details that windows is using if that
                      would help. If there is anything I can look at here that might help let me
                      know.

                      73, Mark, Ku7z

                      On 9/9/2012 6:52 AM, rezeiwer wrote:
                      > Yes I did, I also tried with external powered Belkin usb2-hub, same
                      problem continues. Perseus is running with out problems with my older HP
                      mini laptop with XP...

                      > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "dl4raj" <cpaul@...> wrote:
                      >> Did you try to completely deinstall perseus driver and then reinstall
                      >> it while using the usb2 port for perseus?
                      >>
                      >> Clemens
                      >> DL4RAJ
                      >>

                      >> --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "rezeiwer" <jarmo.patala@> wrote:
                      >>> Hi
                      >>> I have exactly the same problem with my brand new Acer V3-571 laptop
                      with Windows 7 64 bit, same problem with both USB3 and USB2 ports. Installed
                      both latest chip set and USB drivers from Intel. It seems the new drivers
                      are unmature with the devices?

                      >>> 73 Jarmo

                    • Karel Honzík
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 9, 2012
                        Dear ToreB,
                        and what about Windows Firewall settings? Maybe this place is a source of your problems?

                        73 ........... Karel Honzik, CZE

                        I am running Perseus on a Win7 64 bit computer here without any problems at
                        the moment. Looking at the device manager it appears to be on a USB
                        composite device port. Not sure if that means its a generic port or not.
                        The windows drivers are from service pack 1 if I am reading the descriptions
                        correctly. I can send along the driver details that windows is using if that
                        would help. If there is anything I can look at here that might help let me
                        know.

                        73, Mark, Ku7z

                        On 9/9/2012 6:52 AM, rezeiwer wrote:
                        > Yes I did, I also tried with external powered Belkin usb2-hub, same
                        problem continues. Perseus is running with out problems with my older HP
                        mini laptop with XP...

                        > --- In mailto:perseus_SDR%40yahoogroups.com, "dl4raj" <cpaul@...> wrote:
                        >> Did you try to completely deinstall perseus driver and then reinstall
                        >> it while using the usb2 port for perseus?
                        >>
                        >> Clemens
                        >> DL4RAJ
                        >>

                        >> --- In mailto:perseus_SDR%40yahoogroups.com, "rezeiwer" <jarmo.patala@> wrote:
                        >>> Hi
                        >>> I have exactly the same problem with my brand new Acer V3-571 laptop
                        with Windows 7 64 bit, same problem with both USB3 and USB2 ports. Installed
                        both latest chip set and USB drivers from Intel. It seems the new drivers
                        are unmature with the devices?

                        >>> 73 Jarmo

                      • Alberto I2PHD
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 9, 2012
                          On 9/9/2012 8:24 PM, Karel Honzík wrote:
                          and what about Windows Firewall settings? Maybe this place is a source of your problems?
                          Firewall settings would matter only if he were trying to connect to a remote Perseus, but what
                          he wants to do is to have a "local" Perseus working....

                          --
                          73 Alberto I2PHD
                        • Chuck
                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 9, 2012
                            I too have this problem with a Win 7 64 bit laptop, but not at all with any other machines: Asus EEE 1005 with XP, Acer 6920 laptop wih XP, my I7 main PC with Win 7 32 bit or I5 with XP.

                            With the Win 7 64 bit laptop (HP dv6 Pavilion, using the USB 2 ports), it happens frustratingly often. At Newfoundland last year, I thought the DXpedition was over for me when I got "firmware download error" for most of a day. Then suddenly it disappeared, not to return.

                            Chuck

                            --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "rezeiwer" <jarmo.patala@...> wrote:

                            > Yes I did, I also tried with external powered Belkin usb2-hub, same problem continues. Perseus is running with out problems with my older HP mini laptop with XP...
                            >

                            > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "dl4raj" <cpaul@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Did you try to completely deinstall perseus driver
                            > > and then reinstall it while using the usb2 port for
                            > > perseus?
                            > >
                            > > Clemens
                            > > DL4RAJ
                            > >

                            > > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "rezeiwer" <jarmo.patala@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > Hi
                            > > > I have exactly the same problem with my brand new Acer V3-571 laptop with Windows 7 64 bit, same problem with both USB3 and USB2 ports. Installed both latest chip set and USB drivers from Intel. It seems the new drivers are unmature with the devices?
                            > > >
                            > > > 73 Jarmo

                          • Karel Honzík
                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 10, 2012
                              Today I had the same problem when trying to put my Perseus in operation with my brand new W7 Pro 64bit laptop with USB2 x 2 and USB3 x 2. I always got a “Firmware download error” message despite of successful installation of drivers. Accidentally I used USB3 ports for these attempts. At my 3rd attempt in USB2 it suddenly started working and I managed to put Perseus and FM+ in operation very quickly. What a relief! Almost lost my nerve... Veselý obličej

                              I wish those who are still fighting with their new devices good luck!

                              Karel Honzík, CZE

                              size=3>mailto:perseus_SDR%40yahoogroups.com, "dl4raj" <cpaul@> wrote:

                              > > Did you try to completely
                              deinstall perseus driver
                              > > and then reinstall it while using the usb2
                              port for
                              > > perseus?
                              > >
                              > > Clemens

                              DL4RAJ

                              href="mailto:perseus_SDR%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:perseus_SDR%40yahoogroups.com, "rezeiwer" <jarmo.patala@> wrote:

                              > > > Hi
                              > > > I have exactly the same problem with my brand new Acer V3-571 laptop with
                              Windows 7 64 bit, same problem with both USB3 and USB2 ports. Installed both latest chip set and USB drivers from Intel. It seems the new drivers are unmature with the devices?

                              > > > 73 Jarmo
                              > > >
                              > > > --- In
                              href="mailto:perseus_SDR%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:perseus_SDR%40yahoogroups.com, "dl4raj" <cpaul@> wrote:

                              Tore,

                              USB*2*
                              the perseus driver then re- install it
                              perseus USB cable with the

                              DL4RAJ

                              K55VM – with

                              "Firmware download

                              to update the driver I get this: "The best driver for

                              Vista with no problems like this
                              tested the receiver unit against another PC with Vista

                            • rezeiwer
                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 2, 2012
                                Hello
                                I have now solved my Perseus W7 64b problem, and the solution was that I used my 30 days money back guarantee and returned the brand new Acer and changed it to Lenovo G580 laptop, now everything with Perseus and FM+ is running fine.

                                All though, trying all kind of settings and updates, Acer was not able to identify Perseus hardware. This might be due to unsuitable USB ports or drivers.

                                I strongly advise when purchasing new laptop for this combination, buy it with "try and return" basis if possible.

                                Many thanks for all advises from the group, especially Alessio from Microtelecom for great help.

                                73 rez

                                P.S.
                                I also found that my external Creative audio board EMU USB 0204 has strong annoying hum with USB 3.0, the Creative message boards tells it is timing issue with the USB port...hmm interesting, no issues with USB 2.0

                                --- In perseus_SDR@..., Karel Honzík <karel-honzik@...> wrote:

                                > Today I had the same problem when trying to put my Perseus in operation with my brand new W7 Pro 64bit laptop with USB2 x 2 and USB3 x 2. I always got a “Firmware download error” message despite of successful installation of drivers. Accidentally I used USB3 ports for these attempts. At my 3rd attempt in USB2 it suddenly started working and I managed to put Perseus and FM+ in operation very quickly. What a relief! Almost lost my nerve...
                                >
                                > I wish those who are still fighting with their new devices good luck!
                                >
                                > Karel Honzík, CZE

                              • Tore B. Vik
                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 3, 2012

                                  Why not turn the problem 180.

                                  Ask Microtelecom to develop a software which could be used on all computors regardless of brand.

                                  Tore B Vik

                                  I have now solved my Perseus W7 64b problem, and the solution was that I used my 30 days money back guarantee and returned the brand new Acer and changed it to Lenovo G580 laptop, now everything with Perseus and FM+ is running fine.

                                  All though, trying all kind of settings and updates, Acer was not able to identify Perseus hardware. This might be due to unsuitable USB ports or drivers.

                                  I strongly advise when purchasing new laptop for this combination, buy it with "try and return" basis if possible.

                                  Many thanks for all advises from the group, especially Alessio from Microtelecom for great help.

                                  73 rez

                                  P.S.
                                  I also found that my external Creative audio board EMU USB 0204 has strong annoying hum with USB 3.0, the Creative message boards tells it is timing issue with the USB port...hmm interesting, no issues with USB 2.0

                                  --- In perseus_SDR@..., Karel Honzík <karel-honzik@...> wrote:

                                  > Today I had the same problem when trying to put my Perseus in operation with my brand new W7 Pro 64bit laptop with USB2 x 2 and USB3 x 2. I always got a “Firmware download errorâ€
                                   message despite of successful installation of drivers. Accidentally I used USB3 ports for these attempts. At my 3rd attempt in USB2 it suddenly started working and I managed to put Perseus and FM+ in operation very quickly. What a relief! Almost lost my nerve...

                                  > I wish those who are still fighting with their new devices good luck!
                                  >
                                  > Karel Honzík, CZE

                                • alx_mtc
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Oct 3, 2012
                                    Perseus drivers are based on WinUSB, which is supposed to be supported by Microsoft directly.
                                    But IMHO the real problem is not there, it is in the USB3.0 implementations by notebook manufacturers.
                                    In some cases, updating the chipset drivers with the latest releases from the Intel website (as long as the notebook firmware) resolved the issues on USB3.0 ports.
                                    On our side, there's not much room for modifications, I think that simply adding delays here and there could hide the problems, but I don't consider this as a valid solution.
                                    It is better if it is solved at its root by the chipset drivers and/or Microsoft itself.

                                    Alessio

                                    --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Tore B. Vik" <tvi2@...> wrote:

                                    > Why not turn the problem 180⁰.
                                    >

                                    > Ask Microtelecom to develop a software which could be used on all computors regardless of brand.
                                    >

                                    > Tore B Vik

                                  • Allan
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Nov 2, 2012
                                      Did you get your Perseus to work on the new Asus K55VM??

                                      Allan

                                      --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "tore" <tvi2@...> wrote:

                                      > I am installing Perseus on a new computer – Asus K55VM – with
                                      > Windows 7.
                                      >
                                      > When starting I get the following message: "Firmware download
                                      > error" and I am not able to start receiving.
                                      >

                                      > Tore B Vik

                                    • Alf Årdal
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Nov 2, 2012
                                        Allan,

                                        I have a Acer Aspire 5741G, which had Windows 7 pre-installed on.
                                        No problems using Perseus software or installing.

                                        73's Alf