Soundcard

  • kjellgoran
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2008
      Hi,

      I'm currently using the soundcard that's onboard the motherboard in my
      PC, Realtec AC97. When reading the mails on this site and otherwhere I
      notice that the M Audio Delta 44 seem to be a very popular soundcard.
      What are the benefits from installing a separate soundcard (Delta 44),
      or to put it vice versa, what drawbacks can I encounter using the
      Realtec AC97 that's already in my PC?

      73,
      Kjell-Göran SM4GRP
    • andrea.montefusc0
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2008
        Hi Kjell-Göran,

        for a noise comparison of your sound card, take a look at this page to:

        http://www.m0kgk.co.uk/sdr/soundcards.php

        *am*
      • adibene
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1, 2008
          --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "kjellgoran" <kgb55@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I'm currently using the soundcard that's onboard the motherboard in my
          > PC, Realtec AC97. When reading the mails on this site and otherwhere I
          > notice that the M Audio Delta 44 seem to be a very popular soundcard.
          > What are the benefits from installing a separate soundcard (Delta 44),
          > or to put it vice versa, what drawbacks can I encounter using the
          > Realtec AC97 that's already in my PC?
          >
          > 73,
          > Kjell-Göran SM4GRP

          Kjell-Göran

          if you use either Perseus or SDR-14 or SDR-IQ or any other direct
          RF sampling receiver, the advantages of having a good sound card, one
          with high dynamic range, are not existent. When using one of those
          hardwares, the sound card is used only for the final reproduction of
          the audio (SSB) or the CW tones, and the AC'97 chipset is more than
          adequate,

          The advantages of a sound card of medium-high quality (Delta 44) or
          high quality (EMU-1212M or Janus of the HPSDR project) are apparent
          when you use the so-called NZIF (Near Zero IF) technique, using either
          a Tayloe mixer or a couple of conventional mixers (H-Mode or whatever).

          In this latter architecture the ultimate sensitivity and dynamic range
          of your receiver are determined both by the correct software
          implementation and the dynamic range of the sound card. The top end
          cards use the AK5394A codec, which reportedly has 120 dB of dynamic
          range, more of what is offered by traditional Yaesu-Icom-Kenwood rigs,
          bar none. And if you compare the specs of the various manufacturers,
          pay attention to the fine print, and how the reported values were
          measured.

          The mistery of the missing Mute button
          --------------------------------------

          My fault Your Honor.... the button displays correctly when you use a
          screen resolution of 1280 x 1024 or more. Working at a lower
          resolution, i.e. 1024 x 768, it is displaced off screen. I simply
          forgot to apply to it the corrections that are in place for the other
          controls when working with low resolution. This will be corrected in
          the next days with build 14. Sorry.

          73 Alberto I2PHD
        • Wolfgang Hartmann
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 1, 2008
            Hallo Alberto,

            thank You. I just tried a higher resolution and it does really work!!

            Wolfgang Hartmann

            -- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "adibene" <i2phd@...> wrote:

            > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "kjellgoran" <kgb55@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > I'm currently using the soundcard that's onboard the motherboard
            in my
            > > PC, Realtec AC97. When reading the mails on this site and
            otherwhere I
            > > notice that the M Audio Delta 44 seem to be a very popular soundcard.
            > > What are the benefits from installing a separate soundcard (Delta
            44),
            > > or to put it vice versa, what drawbacks can I encounter using the
            > > Realtec AC97 that's already in my PC?
            > >
            > > 73,
            > > Kjell-Göran SM4GRP
            > >

            > Kjell-Göran
            >
            > if you use either Perseus or SDR-14 or SDR-IQ or any other direct
            > RF sampling receiver, the advantages of having a good sound card, one
            > with high dynamic range, are not existent. When using one of those
            > hardwares, the sound card is used only for the final reproduction of
            > the audio (SSB) or the CW tones, and the AC'97 chipset is more than
            > adequate,
            >
            > The advantages of a sound card of medium-high quality (Delta 44) or
            > high quality (EMU-1212M or Janus of the HPSDR project) are apparent
            > when you use the so-called NZIF (Near Zero IF) technique, using either
            > a Tayloe mixer or a couple of conventional mixers (H-Mode or whatever).
            >
            > In this latter architecture the ultimate sensitivity and dynamic range
            > of your receiver are determined both by the correct software
            > implementation and the dynamic range of the sound card. The top end
            > cards use the AK5394A codec, which reportedly has 120 dB of dynamic
            > range, more of what is offered by traditional Yaesu-Icom-Kenwood rigs,
            > bar none. And if you compare the specs of the various manufacturers,
            > pay attention to the fine print, and how the reported values were
            > measured.
            >
            > The mistery of the missing Mute button
            > --------------------------------------
            >
            > My fault Your Honor.... the button displays correctly when you use a
            > screen resolution of 1280 x 1024 or more. Working at a lower
            > resolution, i.e. 1024 x 768, it is displaced off screen. I simply
            > forgot to apply to it the corrections that are in place for the other
            > controls when working with low resolution. This will be corrected in
            > the next days with build 14. Sorry.
            >
            > 73 Alberto I2PHD

          • Rob Moore
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 1, 2008
              Hi Kjell,

              There's no need or benefit to adding another sound card because it is
              only used to output the speaker sounds. The Perseus sends the I/Q data
              through the USB 2.0 connection. Many folks think that you need an
              better sound card from reading about or experience with the SDR-1000 but
              that's not the case. The only situation that would require an
              additional sound card or Virtual Sound Card software, would be if you're
              planning to do DRM stuff or if your computer for some reason won't tie
              the sound into a digital decoder program. I use SeaTTY and it works
              fine without one but some folks here have had different results.

              Rob