Winrad 1.30

  • Alberto I2PHD
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 31, 2007
      I have just released V1.30 of Winrad, downloadable from
      http://www.weaksignals.com

      The main changes from V1.25 are :

      - New AM, ECSS demodulators
      - With ECSS the user can select between the LSB, the USB or both
      - Correct management of WAV files of 16, 24 bit integers and 32 bit floats
      - New DRM mode with output bandwidth of 12 kHz
      - Option to select among multiple ExtIO DLLs
      - CPU load reduction by placing the fractional resampler after a
      dynamically reconfigurable prescaler
      - The status bar for WAV playback is now clickable, to fast forward or
      fast rewind the playback
      - The WAV file played back has now its name displayed
      - One to four samples delay insertable on the left or on the right
      channel, to accommodate for the EMU-1212M
      - Real time display of the frequency and the dB level that follows the
      mouse cursor
      - AGC hang time slightly lengthened.
      - Speed slider curve changed
      - Input selection is now a radio-button
      - Volume lock status is now remembered between sessions
      - Mute button added
      - Past expiry date, the program still works, only a warning is issued
      - Some optimizations and errors correction here and there

      Reports welcome, thanks

      Happy New Year !

      73 Alberto I2PHD
    • Wolfgang Hartmann
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 1, 2008
        --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, Alberto I2PHD <i2phd@...> wrote:

        > I have just released V1.30 of Winrad, downloadable from
        > http://www.weaksignals.com
        >
        > The main changes from V1.25 are :
        >
        > - New AM, ECSS demodulators
        > - With ECSS the user can select between the LSB, the USB or both
        > - Correct management of WAV files of 16, 24 bit integers and 32 bit
        floats
        > - New DRM mode with output bandwidth of 12 kHz
        > - Option to select among multiple ExtIO DLLs
        > - CPU load reduction by placing the fractional resampler after a
        > dynamically reconfigurable prescaler
        > - The status bar for WAV playback is now clickable, to fast forward or
        > fast rewind the playback
        > - The WAV file played back has now its name displayed
        > - One to four samples delay insertable on the left or on the right
        > channel, to accommodate for the EMU-1212M
        > - Real time display of the frequency and the dB level that follows the
        > mouse cursor
        > - AGC hang time slightly lengthened.
        > - Speed slider curve changed
        > - Input selection is now a radio-button
        > - Volume lock status is now remembered between sessions
        > - Mute button added
        > - Past expiry date, the program still works, only a warning is issued
        > - Some optimizations and errors correction here and there
        >
        > Reports welcome, thanks
        >
        > Happy New Year !
        >
        > 73 Alberto I2PHD

        Hallo Alberto,

        best wishes for new year to You.

        I downloaded the new Winrad 1.30 with a lot of improvements. Nice, to
        see, that You implemented AM, ECCS. It works fine and is a step forward.

        The output bandwidth of 12 kHz for DRM seems to be suitable for AM and
        ECCS too. Could You enlarge it to a bandwidth for 10 .. 12 kHz
        bandwidth too?

        Winrad is a very fine monitor for signal-quality even if one has no
        new Perseus! I work with Elektor_USB and Sat-Schneider DRT1 mainly.

        Thank You

        Wolfgang
      • Fabrizio Magrone
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 1, 2008
          Hi Alberto,

          thank you for the new year present. This release is really full of innovations. I immediately tested it on my Perseus.

          - New AM, ECSS demodulators
          - With ECSS the user can select between the LSB, the USB or both

          They work really well.

          - New DRM mode with output bandwidth of 12 kHz

          I copied DRM sending the output to Dream through VAC, and it works like a charm. There is anyway a little drawback: when tuning to the DRM station frequency, the 12 kHz passband is centred on the USB side only of the DRM signal, cutting half of it away and making decoding impossible. To get correct decoding, at least with Perseus, you need to tune 6 kHz lower, to have all the DRM signal within the passband window. Not a big deal, that could be corrected in a future release.

          - CPU load reduction by placing the fractional resampler after a
          dynamically reconfigurable prescaler

          Great! Now Winrad runs smoothly in my 1.7 GHz laptop and I can even use other programs too. A very important improvement indeed.

          - Mute button added

          Or it's very well hidden, or it was left behind :-)

          All things considered, Winrad is a great performer, that makes an excellent receiver even better.

          A wish for the future? A keyboard frequency input, to allow for quick'n'easy tuning.

          Happy new year to you and all the list

          Fabrizio

          ---------------------------------

          Fabrizio Magrone, Forli, Italy

        • Alberto I2PHD
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 1, 2008
            Fabrizio Magrone wrote:
            thank you for the new year present. This release is really full of innovations. I immediately tested it on my Perseus.
            Fabrizio,

               thank you for the report.
            I copied DRM sending the output to Dream through VAC, and it works like a charm. There is anyway a little drawback: when tuning to the DRM station frequency, the 12 kHz passband is centred on the USB side only of the DRM signal, cutting half of it away and making decoding impossible. To get correct decoding, at least with Perseus, you need to tune 6 kHz lower, to have all the DRM signal within the passband window. Not a big deal, that could be corrected in a future release.
            To tune DRM you just imagine in your mind that have to tune a USB station, so you place the carrier line just a little bit left of the left border of the signal.

                                              http://sundry.i2phd.com/drm.gif   This is Radio Vatican at 1611 kHz, tuned 5 kHz lower, at 1606 kHz
            Great! Now Winrad runs smoothly in my 1.7 GHz laptop and I can even use other programs too. A very important improvement indeed.
            Well, I had exactly the same problem... my old T41 IBM laptop refused to run Winrad with Perseus sampling at 500 kHz, so I had to find a solution... :-)
            - Mute button added

            Or it's very well hidden, or it was left behind :-)
            Third possibility, you didn't look with eyes wide open !

                                           http://sundry.i2phd.com/mute.gif

            73  Alberto  I2PHD

          • Fabrizio Magrone
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 1, 2008
              Hi Alberto,

              To tune DRM you just imagine in your mind that have to tune a USB station, so you place the carrier line just a little bit left of the left border of the signal.

              that's what I did, and it works perfectly. I just thought that tuning to the carrier frequency and having the bandpass window centred on it, like in AM, would have been more handy, but it's just an opinion.

              Third possibility, you didn't look with eyes wide open !

              This is what I see, and it isn't there!

              Emacs!

              I read in the manual that it should have been there, I even clicked in that area just in case, but there is no mute button in my screen. Boys, this is funny :-)

              Fabrizio
            • Mauno Ritola
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 1, 2008
                I have it, but I uninstalled 1.25 before installing 1.30.

                73, Mauno

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 1, 2008
                  To test only (because I dont have any suitable hardware), just
                  installed 1.30 version from

                  http://www.sdrham.com/bin/Winrad_130b13_setupXP.exe

                  and I can see the 'Mute'.

                  My Window$ is XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2 on Intel
                  Pentium M processor 2.00GHz

                  --
                  Andrea Montefusco IW0HDV
                • Wolfgang Hartmann
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 1, 2008
                    Hallo Andrea,

                    I installed Winrad1.30 from SDR-Ham and I see again NO MUTE.

                    My XP version seems to be the same as Yours.

                    On the screen there is no MUTE nor an area, where one could activate
                    MUTE. It is a miracle.

                    Wolfgang

                    --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "andrea montefusco"
                    <andrea.montefusco@...> wrote:

                    > To test only (because I dont have any suitable hardware), just
                    > installed 1.30 version from
                    >
                    > http://www.sdrham.com/bin/Winrad_130b13_setupXP.exe
                    >
                    > and I can see the 'Mute'.
                    >
                    > My Window$ is XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2 on Intel
                    > Pentium M processor 2.00GHz
                    >
                    > --
                    > Andrea Montefusco IW0HDV

                  • Martin Elbe
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 1, 2008
                      Am 01.01.2008 um 19:34 schrieb Wolfgang Hartmann:

                      > I installed Winrad1.30 from SDR-Ham and I see again NO MUTE.
                      >
                      > My XP version seems to be the same as Yours.
                      >
                      > On the screen there is no MUTE nor an area, where one could activate
                      > MUTE. It is a miracle.

                      Same here. No mute.

                      --
                      Tschüß,