Re: Run Perseus software without a connection of Perseus to USB port

  • kzr63g
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 31, 2007
      --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, Highq <highqcollector@...> wrote:

      Hi,

      > You can record the entire spectrum with PERSEUS and the audio of
      > tuned station.....at the same time .....

      excellent
      will look att VAC
      thank´s for the tip!

      73 Allan
    • Mauno Ritola
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 25, 2007
        Hi Nico,
        I suppose the playback without hardware if once detected isn't yet in the Beta-3 version, right?

        Best regards,

        Mauno

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 25, 2007
          At 14.55 25/11/2007, you wrote:

          Hi Nico,
          I suppose the playback without hardware if once detected isn't yet in the Beta-3 version, right?

          Best regards,

          Mauno

          Mauno,

          no, it is not yet implemented. I just tried on my PC.

          73 - Marco IK1ODO / AI4YF
        • Leif Asbrink
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 27, 2007
            Hi Nico,

            > I've already planned to provide the Perseus users what you are
            > requiring, at least in part, but I haven't decided how to do it yet.
            > It would be nice i.e. if everybody could play files recorded with
            > the Perseus recevier, not only those who own it, and I'm seriously
            > toying with the idea of making a special software "lite" edition
            > which could do this.
            It would be nice if you could make public how the files are
            written so others could play these recordings on whatever
            software they prefer (and that supports the format.)

            As you may know, Linrad saves data in its own format, but
            with the next version (linrad-02.41) there will be a key
            to press to convert Linrad raw data files into ordinary
            .wav files. The way it works is that the raw data file is
            first scanned for how many bits the raw data actually uses
            and then scales the data for the largest sample to use
            the full range of the file format.

            Linrads own format is 18 bit because that is as much a Delta44
            can deliver (the remaining 6 bits are only noise.) Very often
            there is no strong signal, so a 16 bit .wav file will represent
            the wideband data at no loss.

            Maybe you could provide a tool to export the Perseus raw data
            files as standard .wav files (albeit with an unusual sampling
            speed) for others to play with - and perhaps the option for
            the Perseus software to play wav-files from other hardware
            platforms? In the future I expect various interesting SDR
            processings for interference reduction and trying the same
            antenna signal on different softwares should allow us all to
            combine the best parts from many sources.

            The things that were discussed on this list for MW DX-ers
            represent the new thins we can do - and we are just at the
            beginning of a new era!! Many other interference problems
            can be tackled and I think a generally accepted format
            for exchanging raw data files would promote development:-)

            > In the near future there are more important
            > things to do though, as providing support for Windows Vista users
            > just to say one, and I have to carefully evaluate the impact
            > of "nice ideas" on the overall amount of work I'm involved into.
            > Anyway, meanwhile I decide what to do (possibily on the basis of the
            > suggestions I'll receive), in the next software version there will
            > be the possibility to playback files without being connected to the
            > hardware if the Perseus hardware has been detected at least once.
            > This should be in the right direction to satisfy those who trusted
            > (and pay for) the Perseus receiver.
            Hmmm, I will buy one if I can use it with my own software because it
            seems to me it is the best hardware currently available:-)

            73

            Leif / SM5BSZ
          • adibene
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 28, 2007
              --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, Leif Asbrink <leif@...> wrote:

              > Maybe you could provide a tool to export the Perseus raw data
              > files as standard .wav files (albeit with an unusual sampling
              > speed) for others to play with - and perhaps the option for
              > the Perseus software to play wav-files from other hardware
              > platforms? In the future I expect various interesting SDR
              > processings for interference reduction and trying the same
              > antenna signal on different softwares should allow us all to
              > combine the best parts from many sources.

              Leif,

              Nico will answer in more details when back from Germany, but I have
              already implemented in Winrad the read function for the Perseus data
              files, and I can tell you that Perseus saves the raw data in WAV
              format, 24-bit integers, in a standard format were it not for a tag
              that is not in the list of allowed tags according to the RIFF
              standard. This tag is the "rcvr" tag, where Nico stores the
              information about the frequency, date and time of the recording.

              So, if you check explicitly for this tag and either ignore it, or use
              the information, then the rest is a standard 24-bit WAV file.

              I don't know whether Nico will continue to use this format in the
              final release (now the program is at beta 3), or he will decide to use
              another, the answer is up to him.

              73 Alberto I2PHD
            • Nico iv3nwv
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 29, 2007
                Here I'm back.

                Nothing to add to the words of Alberto but that I must remind to add
                some notes about the Perseus wav file format when I'll publish the API
                of the dll.

                Regards,
                Nico iv3nwv