Re: Playback Slipping

  • kzr63g
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 6, 2008
      > > - buttons to go forward and backward to the next or last file
      > John

      I made a request to the same idea already month ago. And also asked
      for a scale on the playbar to have easier to find a certain point in
      the recording. But to have exact time and then click is even better.
      So I jump on the train and are asking again for some solution.

      Bye the way, I have same problem with "audio behind play bar".

      And stuttering audio at 1600 kHz playback when using USB2.0. The
      strange things is that recording via USB2.0 NEVER fails, and it
      should
      be the same amount of data streaming thru the USB2.0 port but the
      other way. I now believe this is a buffering problem of that
      specific
      PC, as not all PC:s have this problem. Perseus datastream is 7,5 to
      8,0 MB/s at 1600 KHz spectrum and most USB2.0 can handle 25 to max
      30
      or 31 MB/s. I have 2 PC:s that work and one don´t (the newest!).

      Everything else is working fine on the Perseus. I am so pleased!

      The other night we had an opening to North-America on MW, and to
      have
      the possibility to record the whole band is a blessing. I have had
      fun
      many evenings discovering new stations on the recording made that
      night (playback via eSATA or Firewire but recording via USB2.o as
      USB2.0 recording gives less "noise" than Firewire or eSATA
      recordings
      with my PC and external HD).

      Allan
    • Mauno Ritola
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 6, 2008
        Hi Allan,
        I had the same problem: stuttering when listening the 1600 kHz span from external HD, recording works OK. I have six USB 2.0 connectors. They are USB 2.0 defined by Sandra Lite  software, I don't know how reliable it is, but I have tested connecting Perseus to each of them and it works in all of them. However, when connecting a Kingston USB stick, in FOUR of them the stick says that I could get a better transfer speed by connecting the stick to USB 2.0. Only for two of them it doesn't alert that. In the other I already had Perseus and when I moved the external HD to the other - the stuttering stopped! Maybe someone can explain that technically, but it seems worth while trying to find the best USB's even among 2.0's! But I am sure you have done that already.

        73, Mauno

        > > - buttons to go forward and backward to the next or last file
        > John

        I made a request to the same idea already month ago. And also asked
        for a scale on the playbar to have easier to find a certain point in
        the recording. But to have exact time and then click is even better.
        So I jump on the train and are asking again for some solution.

        Bye the way, I have same problem with "audio behind play bar".

        And stuttering audio at 1600 kHz playback when using USB2.0. The
        strange things is that recording via USB2.0 NEVER fails, and it
        should
        be the same amount of data streaming thru the USB2.0 port but the
        other way. I now believe this is a buffering problem of that
        specific
        PC, as not all PC:s have this problem. Perseus datastream is 7,5 to
        8,0 MB/s at 1600 KHz spectrum and most USB2.0 can handle 25 to max
        30
        or 31 MB/s. I have 2 PC:s that work and one don´t (the newest!).

        Everything else is working fine on the Perseus. I am so pleased!

        The other night we had an opening to North-America on MW, and to
        have
        the possibility to record the whole band is a blessing. I have had
        fun
        many evenings discovering new stations on the recording made that
        night (playback via eSATA or Firewire but recording via USB2.o as
        USB2.0 recording gives less "noise" than Firewire or eSATA
        recordings
        with my PC and external HD).

        Allan

      • mmolano2000
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 6, 2008
          Thank you very much Nico!
          I hope that you can solve this problem soon.
          And... could you add a switch for the direction of the waterfall?
          Now works from up to down. But it would be more confortable if it
          starts from the place where the frequency scale is. This would be
          specially useful when trying to adjust the filter for narrow and
          weak signals. Thanks again.

          Mauricio.

          --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Nico iv3nwv" <nicopal@...> wrote:

          > Mauricio,
          > the problem you observed is probably due to the fact that in the last
          > software release (v11c) I made some changes to accomodate the 2 MS/s
          > recording option and file lenghts up to 4 GByte.
          >
          > In the next days I'll make some more tests to fix the error, hopefully
          > before the software upgrade I've planned for mid November will be made
          > available to the community.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Nico

        • Paul Crankshaw
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 6, 2008
            mmolano2000 wrote:

            >Thank you very much Nico!
            >I hope that you can solve this problem soon.
            >And... could you add a switch for the direction of the waterfall?
            >Now works from up to down. But it would be more confortable if it
            >starts from the place where the frequency scale is.

            ...or have the scale at the top as well as the bottom.

            Paul
          • Guy Atkins
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 6, 2008
              Hi Allan,

              That's an interesting observation on the noise levels you observed with different connections.

              On a DXpedition last weekend to a very quiet setting, I had no interference at all from an eSATA external hard drive. On a previous trip to the same location I used a USB 2.0 connection and had noticeable RFI throughout medium wave (I greatly reduced the noise with 12vdc to the drive from a linear power supply, but still had noise from the cable or the drive that remained).

              I did put on fat RF chokes on each end of the eSATA cable...perhaps that helped reduce any possible interference. I did not experiment with the chokes attached vs. not attached.

              73,

              Guy Atkins
              Puyallup, WA USA

              > > - buttons to go forward and backward to the next or last file
              > John

              I made a request to the same idea already month ago. And also asked
              for a scale on the playbar to have easier to find a certain point in
              the recording. But to have exact time and then click is even better.
              So I jump on the train and are asking again for some solution.

              Bye the way, I have same problem with "audio behind play bar".

              And stuttering audio at 1600 kHz playback when using USB2.0. The
              strange things is that recording via USB2.0 NEVER fails, and it
              should
              be the same amount of data streaming thru the USB2.0 port but the
              other way. I now believe this is a buffering problem of that
              specific
              PC, as not all PC:s have this problem. Perseus datastream is 7,5 to
              8,0 MB/s at 1600 KHz spectrum and most USB2.0 can handle 25 to max
              30
              or 31 MB/s. I have 2 PC:s that work and one don´t (the newest!).

              Everything else is working fine on the Perseus. I am so pleased!

              The other night we had an opening to North-America on MW, and to
              have
              the possibility to record the whole band is a blessing. I have had
              fun
              many evenings discovering new stations on the recording made that
              night (playback via eSATA or Firewire but recording via USB2.o as
              USB2.0 recording gives less "noise" than Firewire or eSATA
              recordings
              with my PC and external HD).

              Allan

            • Nico iv3nwv
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 6, 2008
                > And... could you add a switch for the direction of the waterfall?
                > Now works from up to down. But it would be more confortable if it
                > starts from the place where the frequency scale is. This would be
                > specially useful when trying to adjust the filter for narrow and
                > weak signals. Thanks again.

                Already done, Mauricio. :-)
                The feature will be available with the new s/w release.

                Regards,
                Nico
              • mmolano2000
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 6, 2008
                  thanks a lot of!!

                  Mauricio.

                  --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Nico iv3nwv" <nicopal@...> wrote:

                  > > And... could you add a switch for the direction of the waterfall?
                  > > Now works from up to down. But it would be more confortable if it
                  > > starts from the place where the frequency scale is. This would be
                  > > specially useful when trying to adjust the filter for narrow and
                  > > weak signals. Thanks again.
                  >
                  > Already done, Mauricio. :-)
                  > The feature will be available with the new s/w release.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Nico

                • kzr63g
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 7, 2008
                    --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Guy Atkins" <dx@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Allan,
                    >
                    > That's an interesting observation on the noise levels you observed
                    with different connections.

                    Hi Guy,
                    The trouble is that I get different results with different PC:s. I
                    have tried different combinations with the 3 laptops I have to my
                    disposal to find some logical explanation (and thus a way to cure).
                    Both eSATA, Firewire and USB2.0 I have tried.

                    A time ago I reported here that eSATA was an alternatvie solution to
                    USB2.O and it is true but again in depends on the combination of PC
                    and external HD+cabinett used.

                    On one PC eSATA gives a tiny wini more noice than USB2.0 (fully
                    usable)on the other PC it is terrible but Usb2.0 good.

                    So I have decided that the external cabinett (that has both eSata
                    and USB2.0 connection) to use USB2.0 for recording (to get lowest
                    noice on MW band) and to replay with eSata to not have stuttering.

                    I have also tried different HD cabinett+disc combinations, but there
                    I find that that it makes no difference in stuttering. Always same
                    PC that give stuttering.

                    I have tried all USB ports but same on all. And also PC software
                    measuring programs gives same troghput for all USB 2.0 ports on the
                    same PC. But I see a difference in troughput for the 3 different
                    PC:s. The difference is 3-4 MB/s.

                    But I have at least a workable solution for 1600 kHz, and that is
                    the main thing.

                    I have also searched Internet for info and in some mailinglist it
                    was said that the USB2.0 chip that is used to handle the datastream
                    can give a difference from 20 MB/s for a bad chip to up to maximum
                    of for USB2.0 about 31 MB/s. But still this does not explain the
                    stuttering as Perseus only generates max 8,0 Mb/s stream of data at
                    1600kHz (no difference between record or replay). I now believe this
                    is how the driver for USb2.0 is handling the buffering of data in
                    combination with the chip. And that differs between different
                    vendors. And nothing we can fix easy.

                    On thing already mentioned, but cannot be said to many times, is
                    that the noice from AC Power units differs very much. So try
                    different ones.

                    Also using ferit cores for the cables reduce noise.

                    Regards
                    Allan