Re: [perseus_SDR] Re: WAV File Playback Difficulties with New Ver. 1.1a

  • Willi Passmann
    Message 1 of 29 , Aug 1 2:31 AM
      Nico iv3nwv schrieb:
      > In all the cases I'm aware of (private feedback from some users) the
      > problem is solved installing the Virtual Audio Cable software.
      > So far, I would appreciate very much the comments of those who have
      > the VAC installed but are not able to playback. Anybody out there?

      Yes, I have installed VAC 4.08, but no playback with Perseusv1.1a.

      vy 73,
      Willi

      http://www.radio-portal.org/sdr.html
      SDR-Special
    • Marco Steiner
      Message 2 of 29 , Aug 1 3:25 AM

        Hi together,

        yes, it’s fantastic. I’ve a CPU-usage of 13%, using 1k kS/s. Record and play wav-files is wonderful now!

        Regards, Marco

        Message 3 of 29 , Aug 1 3:30 AM
          And I've installed VAC 4.09, having no problems to record and playback.

          Regards, Marco

          > In all the cases I'm aware of (private feedback from some users) the
          > problem is solved installing the Virtual Audio Cable software.
          > So far, I would appreciate very much the comments of those who have
          > the VAC installed but are not able to playback. Anybody out there?

          Yes, I have installed VAC 4.08, but no playback with Perseusv1.1a.

          vy 73,
          Willi

          http://www.radio-portal.org/sdr.html
          SDR-Special

        • kzr63g
          Message 4 of 29 , Aug 1 11:29 AM
            Trying out new version.
            Everything working without problem ...again..
            I must be one of the few with no problems ;-) and I am happy for
            that.

            Listening to a Perseus 800 kHz Playback i just made with 1.1a (to a
            external USB 500Gb disc) when writing this. No problem at all. Can
            even run Internet Explorer at the same time without problem.

            Also listened to old recordings 400 kHz and 800 kHz made with many
            differnet Perseus versions (stored and playbacked from same external
            500 Gb disc LaCie) .. no problem.

            And all this on a old Dell Inspiron 630m notebook with a Pentium M
            1,86 gHz (single core!) with 1 Gb RAM. I have never had ANY problem
            with Perseus on this PC.

            PC set for best performance in Windows XP sp2.
            Perseus 1.1a run with priority high.
            In the background I also have VAC 4.08 and the virtual COM driver
            running.

            CPU load is for recording 70-85%
            CPU load for playback is 54-66%

            I thought it was time to change PC when I heard about the new
            version, but as said before: I am a happy man.... but that probably
            will
            change when 1600 Khz version appears. So best to start save money for
            new PC already :-)

            The happy man
            ALLAN
          • Mark
            Message 5 of 29 , Aug 1 1:34 PM
              Hi all, Nico

              Tried the new software on my "oldish" Intel Pentium 2.4 Ghz, 2 GB RAM
              and running XP Home SP2. It`s actually running slighty more smoothly
              and stable than previous version.
              Operating with VAC and ComOCom no problems so far. Using VAC 408 for
              Dream DRM or Sound Recorder on realtime or playback no trouble at all.
              Even tried old playback files from earlier software versions without
              any problem.
              Thank you Nico` for this release and enjoy your holiday when it comes.
              P.S Just wondering if there is any way of increasing the 50Khz FM
              bandwidth filter in the registry?

              73`s
              Mark P

            • dx@guyatkins.com
              Message 6 of 29 , Aug 1 7:47 PM
                Hi Dallas and others,

                As suggested, the installation of VAC solved the problem. I hadn't gotten around to installing it on the new laptop yet.

                It will be interesting to find out from Nico what causes this curious issue once he solves it.

                73, Guy

                Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

                From: "hpmwphaser" <hpmwphaser@...>
                Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 23:00:31 -0000
                To: <perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com>
                Subject: [perseus_SDR] Re: WAV File Playback Difficulties with New Ver. 1.1a

                Hi Guy, My 2.5 GHz duo c CPU T61 with 2 MHz RAM will not play back 1.1A
                recordings with 1.1A, and not (yes, not) with any previous version
                either. Dallas

                --- In perseus_SDR@ yahoogroups. com, "Guy Atkins" <dx@...> wrote:

                > I forgot to mention that previous versions of Perseus will
                successfully
                > play back the WAVs recorded with new 1.1a. It is only with 1.1a
                itself
                > that I cannot get the playback to function.
                >
                > Guy

              • Nico iv3nwv
                Message 7 of 29 , Aug 2 1:25 AM
                  Hi Guy, Dallas and others,
                  well, after a software release a developer has always a little bit
                  more time to relax, putting order on his desktop an so on...
                  So I exploited this moment of relax yesterday evening and examined in
                  more detail the reason of this "funny" playback feature which seems
                  deeply in love the VAC :-)
                  So I simulated a system in which the VAC was not installed and after
                  some debugging I think I've found the cause of such a deep love or, at
                  least, of the disaffection of the code for systems where the VAC was
                  absent.

                  > It will be interesting to find out from Nico what causes this
                  > curious issue once he solves it.

                  Said in algebraic terms, the reason is that "sets of instructions are
                  not always invariant under the commutation of their elements".
                  More simply: the code relied on a predefined execution order of two
                  concurrent threads which occurred only when the VAC was installed.
                  Even more simply: ok, I made a mistake! :-)

                  If anyone would like to get a "Saturday Night Version" and see if it
                  solves the playback issue (whether the VAC is installed or not),
                  please let me know and I will promptly upload it to the server.

                  Nico

                  --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, dx@... wrote:

                  > Hi Dallas and others,
                  >
                  > As suggested, the installation of VAC solved the problem. I hadn't
                  gotten around to installing it on the new laptop yet.

                  > It will be interesting to find out from Nico what causes this
                  curious issue once he solves it.

                  > 73, Guy
                  >
                  > Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

                  Ver. 1.1a

                  > Hi Guy, My 2.5 GHz duo c CPU T61 with 2 MHz RAM will not play back 1.1A
                  > recordings with 1.1A, and not (yes, not) with any previous version
                  > either. Dallas
                  >

                  > --- In perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com, "Guy Atkins" <dx@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I forgot to mention that previous versions of Perseus will
                  > successfully
                  > > play back the WAVs recorded with new 1.1a. It is only with 1.1a
                  > itself
                  > > that I cannot get the playback to function.
                  > >
                  > > Guy

                • Frank (ee)
                  Message 8 of 29 , Aug 2 2:28 AM
                    Hi Nico,

                    Though I don't (as yet) seem to have any problems (only advantages) with your latest S/W version, it might be interesting to see if further improvements (e.g. in CPU-load) can be obtained. So, yes I would be interested in a Saturday Night Version, but only if you would write and publish it anyway. Please don't make it just for me. :-)))

                    Thanks for your excellent work!

                    Frank (ee)

                    --
                    Frank van Gerwen
                    Bakkum-Noord / Netherlands (52°33'56" N / 4°39'18" E)
                    ICQ # 2231692
                    Weblogs: http://www.dwarslezing.blogspot.com (in Dutch)
                             http://www.entrelector.blogspot.com (in Spanish)
                  • hpmwphaser
                    Message 9 of 29 , Aug 2 3:47 AM
                      I want it, I want it... Beg, beg... Dallas

                    • Willi Passmann
                      Message 10 of 29 , Aug 2 3:49 AM
                        Nico iv3nwv schrieb:
                        > So I exploited this moment of relax yesterday evening and examined in
                        > more detail the reason of this "funny" playback feature which seems
                        > deeply in love the VAC :-)

                        Nico and all,

                        I just got playback working with Ver. 1.1a. I simply checked whether VAC
                        is working as properly as before, and tuned to a DRM broadcast for this
                        purpose. VAC and Dream were doing their job.
                        Then I tried again to playback a file which caused freezing the
                        waterfall display two days ago. Everything was fine, the same is true
                        with recordings created by the new version.
                        So Ver. 1.1a seems need to "recognize" VAC, and this can be achieved by
                        using VAC for DRM.

                        I hope this workaround is doing the job not only at my computer!

                        vy 73,
                        Willi

                        Perseus Databases
                        http://www.4shared.com/dir/5567845/166a39bd/sharing.html
                      • dxnature
                        Message 11 of 29 , Aug 2 11:09 PM
                          Hi Nico,

                          Yes I like a copy of the saturday night version. Why??? I just
                          connected the perseus to my old laptop (remember, the one with the
                          automatic CPU clock downrate) and the new 1.1a release works fine as
                          of the lower cpu load. I'm most very pleased with this release :-)

                          This pc runs very lean, as there is no other software installed, and
                          mounting VAC will make things run slower, so I like it just to run the
                          perseus and a few of windows xp standard functions.

                          Again, many thanks for the exelent work!

                          73
                          Ron - ON3RON