Please test my server and new active antenna!

  • sm5glc
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 24, 2014

      In my pursuit of setting up a useful server, I have now an experimental 4x1 meter square loop, I'll try post a picture of the antenna at sm5glc.se/SDR later today. At the moment it is located close to my house and thus I can see switching noise on lower bands, and it is rotating freely in the wind.... But so far the performance seems to pretty good!Please try it out (79.136.70.196) and feel free to comment on performance.

      My plan is to move it to the sheeps pen (no electrical fence), and power the set up with car batteries, and run a P-T-P wi-fi link to my house/router. This should take care of the switching noise :)

      Cheers
      Lasse SM5GLC

    • Hubert Bollhalder
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 24, 2014

        Lasse

        Your loop works quite well so far, but the noise level is on the lower bands (7 MHz and lower) too high. Interesting is the comparison, if the antenna will be installed further away from the house.

        How have you implemented the matching of the antenna to the coaxial cable?

        Wellbrook loop amplifier?

        Hubert

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 24, 2014
          Hello all,

          Lasse, I will look at it later on as we have just had a HF radio blackout,
          which is slowly recovering now.

          73,
          Roelof Bakker, PAoRDT
        • Lasse Moell
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 24, 2014
            The antenna is made out of four 1 meter square loops in one plane, and the amplifier is LZ1AQ active antenna.

            RF and power over FTP cable, currently 20 meter.

            I am comparing performance vs. my full 1/4-wavelenght L-antenna and seems to do almost as good. SNR seems even better on loop vs the vertical-L

            Surprised by the large number of NDB seen this afternoon in daylight :) But it seems to perform even better if in vertical dipole mode. I hope to allow for remote control of antenna too... in not too distant future :)

            /Lasse SM5GLC

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 24, 2014
              I see the loop through my window, and it is currently in N-S position, and may pick up more noise than if in E-W. I'll go out and rotate, even if I see Alberto I2PHD is using my server :)

              /Lasse
            • Alberto I2PHD
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 24, 2014
                On 8/24/2014 3:20 PM, 'Lasse Moell' lasse.moell@... [perseus_SDR] wrote:

                I see the loop through my window, and it is currently in N-S position, and may pick up more noise
                than if in E-W. I'll go out and rotate, even if I see Alberto I2PHD is using my server :)

                Done !  :-)

                I made just a few test on the 17.xxx MHz broadcast band, comparing what you receive with your
                antenna and your Perseus, with what I receive here with my short string of wire + balun and the
                Funcube Dongle Pro Plus, with my new software for the Funcube.

                Your antenna seems to be doing well, at least on that band, even if I did not compare it with others...

                --
                73 Alberto I2PHD
              • Lasse Moell
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 24, 2014
                  Great!
                  You may see the impressive installation at www.sm5glc.se/SDR
                  Those who like perfection, don't even think of opening this link :p

                  Overall dimension 2x2 meter divided into four 1 meter squares.

                  /Lasse SM5GLC

                • pu3hag.l@gmail.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 24, 2014
                    , with my new software for the Funcube.

                    hey Alberto :) talk a bit more on your new software! Is there a page or blog where you are keeping info about it?

                    -- -- pu3hag
                  • Alberto I2PHD
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 24, 2014
                      On 8/24/2014 6:12 PM, 'pu3hag.l@...' pu3hag.l@... [perseus_SDR] wrote:

                      hey Alberto :) talk a bit more on your new software! Is there a page or blog where you are keeping info about it?

                      Not ready yet... the Orbitron interface still needs some refinements, and moreover the User Guide
                      is still stuck at page 2... when ready for release I will announce it on the Funcube Yahoo group.

                      --
                      73 Alberto I2PHD
                    • sm5glc
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 24, 2014
                        Great!You may see the impressive installation at www.sm5glc.se/SDR
                        Those who like perfection, don't even think of opening this link :p

                        Overall dimension 2x2 meter divided into four 1 meter squares.

                        I have been listening on my own server/antenna and comparing both my vertical L-antenna and other Perseus servers and my conclusion is that what I can hear on my big transmitting antenna I also hear on the active antenna, this on 3.5 MHz. Performance seems OK on higher frequencies too.

                        It seems the noise I have on my vertical is similar to the active antenna which is not that far away... of course I had some hope that magically the loop would have better SNR. Acid test for today was listening in on ZL on 3.505, only noise on loop but readable on the vertical. Now as the active antenna is portable, I will try some other locations and compare to my other antenna. Of course the aim is to acheive similar SNR as seen at DL0AO. Not sure if this is realistic but it is always good to have a goal :)

                        73
                        Lasse SM5GLC
                        BTW Messages posted through e-mail has not been delivered by Yahoo today, only those I have posted using Yahoo groups web page
                      • Werner Karn

                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 25, 2014
                            Hi Werner
                            the L-antenna consists of 10 meter ground mounted vertical with
                            goundplane and then 10 meter horisontal wire, a full size 1/4 wavelenght
                            on 3.5 MHz and a matching network for resonance on 1.8 MHz. The Loop is
                            4 vertical 1 meter square loops in 2x2 configuration.

                            I am about to move the antenna a few houndred meters to see if the noise
                            will drop, but this will only be temporarely as no stationary power is
                            available. If I find the place good enough I may try to get something
                            more or less permanent..
                            /Lasse SM5GLC

                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 25, 2014
                              After noticing the somewhat high noise levels, especially on 3.5 MHz I
                              decided to go on an expedition to my nearby sheep pen. It is roughly 400
                              meter from any housing and no electricity nearby. I carried the
                              assembled loop to the pen, and put it up at the same height as I have
                              here. Sheep were interested in what I was doing.

                              My plan was to operate fully battery powered, but the loop amplifier
                              needs 15 volt, and not having prepared the receiver for 12 volt, I was
                              "forced" to use an 12 to 220 volt inverter.

                              Result was switching noise visible, but what I was more intrested in was
                              the background noise, and I did see 3-6 dB improvement, I had wished for
                              more though. To really go low noise, I have to get it further 10 dB
                              down. As the outcome was not what I hoped for, the plan to relocate the
                              receiver and use WiFi link may not be worth the job. Plan B is to try a
                              BOG-antenna (Beverage-on-ground) and see what happens. Problem to solve
                              is how to avoid animals and farmers to get tangled in the wire... No
                              trees, just fields.

                              /Lasse SM5GLC