Perseus purchase

  • cchange454
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 23 12:26 PM
      Why should I buy the Perseus and not the Bonita, which costs much less?

    • Steve
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 23 12:29 PM
        > Why should I buy the Perseus and not the Bonita, which costs much less?

        ....because you know, deep-down, that you want a Perseus?

        WEB - "The VE7SL Radio Notebook": http://members.shaw.ca/ve7sl

        VE7SL BLOG - "Homebrewing and Operating Adventures From 2200m to Nanowaves":
        http://ve7sl.blogspot.ca/
      • Truxton Spangler
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 23 12:40 PM

          Because  you're comparing apples and oranges :-)
          Strictly speaking, the Bonito 1102S RadioJet  is not an SDR, although it is exclusively controlled by computer, whereas the Perseus is a fully Digital Down Converter (DDC) receiver

          Tracey

          Why should I buy the Perseus and not the Bonita, which costs much less?

        • bjarnemjelde
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 23 12:43 PM
            I don't know if your (too) short post is a question for advice or not. Let's just say that if you want to record a wider spectrum than 24 kHz for later analysis, you will not want to buy the Bonito 1102S RadioJet (if that was the receiver you had in mind).
            Bjarne Mjelde
            arcticdx.blogspot.com
          • Alberto I2PHD
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 23 1:09 PM
              On 8/23/2014 9:26 PM, cchange454@... [perseus_SDR] wrote:

              Why should I buy the Perseus and not the Bonita, which costs much less?

              Why should I buy a BMW and not a Volkswagen, which costs much less ?

              --
              73 Alberto I2PHD
              Credo Quia Absurdum Est Credo Ut Intelligam
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 23 2:01 PM
                Good reasons by Bjarne and Alberto.

                Also consider that the Perseus uses high quality ADC and DDC chips that are proven performers. Perseus has a bank of 10 filters. You are getting what you pay for.

                Perseus has become the defacto standard in SDR. Perseus is always mentioned as the standard for comparison.

                Third party software like Studio1 supports Perseus, and that is a huge plus. Perseus has a huge fan/developer base, so you won't have any worries that you are beta testing something when you buy one.

                Lastly, there are many, many cheap and unproven devices being sold as SDRs. Buyer beware.

                Barry Williams
                Auburn, Alabama

                On 8/23/2014 9:26 PM, cchange454@... [perseus_SDR] wrote:

                Why should I buy the Perseus and not the Bonita, which costs much less?

                Why should I buy a BMW and not a Volkswagen, which costs much less ?

                --
                73 Alberto I2PHD
                Credo Quia Absurdum Est Credo Ut Intelligam
                |**|begin egp html banner|**|

              • barry williams

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 23 2:39 PM
                    Re: {Disarmed} [perseus_SDR] Perseus purchase I own both.
                    The Perseus is  a better radio. More sensitive, lower noise floor, metal case, better look & finish.
                    The RadioJet has a more configurable and tweakable software interface. The newest version of the RadioJet software can control the Perseus.
                    A new hardware version of the RadioJet: 1305 Plus has been announced, which covers 200 kHz – 1600 MHz, and display 24 kHz + 500-3200 kHz (2nd receiver).
                    The RadioJet works only with its own software (to date), where the Perseus can work with many software packages.
                    RadioJet comes with built-in DREAM license.
                    RadioJet has no SAM reception.
                    Bonito has separate software for decoding various modes, but it requires a hardware serial port dongle (old school), and an additional purchase.
                    Help is harder to get from the Bonito staff, and the manual is still not completely translated from German. Bonito is family owned and operated, rather insular, and their claims to electrical novelty are unsupported.
                    There is a Yahoo Group for RadioJet, and I suggest you join before buying.
                    RadioJet has owner registration is burned into its eprom, making resale as used probably impossible, and no returns accepted by Bonito.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 23 7:17 PM
                      Re: {Disarmed} Re: {Disarmed} [perseus_SDR] Perseus purchase A little more:

                      RadioJet has, to my observation, less dynamic range, and therefore uses its RX/DX switching to adjust for strong/weak signals.
                      This is the root of their “Bontastic Geometry” claim, I believe, which is IMO hype for dynamic IF amplification, and a bit of a jerk-around in specs.
                      Perseus has real Bandswitch filters, RadioJet has none.
                      The plugin wall wart that comes with the (US Version) Perseus is substandard. You will want to replace it with a linear power supply.
                      RadioJet is completely USB sourced for power, draws less, therefore easier/simpler for field use with a laptop.
                      You could build a rechargeable battery box for the Perseus, which would be sweet.
                      Such a box with switching to turn off mains charging when running would be very sweet.
                      Anyone know of such a product?

                      I like both radios, actually. Both are IMO very decent values for their bundle and price points.

                      Bonito would have better market penetration if they were to bother translating the manual completely.
                      Instead, they bitch and moan in parts they did translate, about how customers complain without bothering to read the manual.
                      I give Bonito creds for being creative, but I do not appreciate companies that demean their customers, and then continue their own flaws/limits into new products.
                      Perseus is more traditionally engineered.

                      Pay attention to your Antenna(e). Don’t try to run either from an inside vertical whip.

                      The old Ham rule of $1 in antenna for every $3 invested in radio is still a good rule.

[...]

                    • Roelof Bakker
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 24 2:45 AM
                        Hello Barry,

                        The main difference is that the PERSEUS is digitizing the RF at the
                        antenna port and the Radiojet is converting the RF with a conventional
                        mixer to a low IF frequency, where it is sampled to the digital domain.

                        I have not been able to find the technical specifications on the web,
                        however it is similar to the WinRadio G313i:

                        http://www.winradio.com/home/g313i-s.htm

                        This is the same scheme as used in almost all but the latest direct
                        sampling ham radio transceivers and can give good results.

                        The manual is all about software, which is an important factor.
                        However the best software in the world can not compensate for design flaws
                        and outdated technology.

                        The term SDR applies to all radios that have been build the last 25 years.
                        We have to go back many years to find a truly non SDR radio.
                        A good example is the Collins KWM2!

                        It says something that the PERSEUS 7 years after its introduction is still
                        a benchmark SDR.

                        73,
                        Roelof Bakker, PAoRDT
                      • Lasse Moell
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 24 4:34 AM
                          In my persuit of setting up a useful server, I have now an experimental 4x1 meter square loop, I'll try post a picture of the antenna at sm5glc.se/SDR later today. At the moment it is located close to my house and thus I can see switching noise on lower bands, and it is rotating freely in the wind.... But so far the performance seems to pretty good!

                          Please try it out (79.136.70.196) and feel free to comment on performance.

                          My plan is to move it to the sheeps pen (no electrical fence), and power the set up with car batteries, and run a P-T-P wi-fi link to my house/router. This should take care of the switching noise :)

                          Cheers
                          Lasse SM5GLC
                        • barry williams
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 25 9:27 AM
                            Hi Roeloff,

                            You said it all, Roeloff. The elegance and purity of SDR is in the block
                            diagram of Perseus. The filter design and layout is a stoke of genius, imo.

                            People see the 'SDR' term, and they see the RTL 2832U at the other end
                            of the spectrum from the Perseus design. Then, there are the 1918 era
                            Armstrong designs that add on something to radio so they can put a 'SDR'
                            sticker on the radio.

                            The Benito reminds me of the R-1051 URR HF receiver that came out to
                            replace the R-390A. The military wanted to move to all solid state
                            equipment, but the R-1051 still retained 2 RF amp tubes to make it one
                            of the first hybrid radios.

                            Microtelecom did the right thing calling Perseus a direct sampling HF
                            radio.

                            Barry