Perseus For Sale - Mint condition.

  • Bill Nollman
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 23, 2014

      Bought 5 years ago and used often but not a lot. Non-smoking house. The unit itself is in near mint condition. Includes SDR, box, US power supply, USB cable and home made dual end Y cable for running from laptop power. Paid $1200, now selling for $999, asking $850. I’d prefer to sell it to someone in the US but if it’s not too much of a hassle will ship anywhere if you are willing to pay shipping and insurance.

      I also have a Dientronik 88-108MHz FM downconverter if interested.

      Please email me offlist at billct@....

      Thanks,

      Bill Nollman

      Farmington, CT

    • Bill Nollman
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 4, 2014

        It’s on eBay if anyone wants first dibs.

        http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=191274809398

        Bill

        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 18, 2014

          To what I believe is a radio Club in Amberg,Germany I would like to say you have the best location as far as quietness. Thank you for the years I was able to use it and I hope many more. I would love to see a website of your set up. I was stationed with USAF at Rhein Main and Flugplatz Hahn in the 80's. Wife and I are planning on a trip to see friends in Hamburg…Im sure that's a fun city.

          Thank you

          Mike Manning

          KB3IUL

          Delaware,USA

        • Uwe Volk
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 18, 2014
            Hi Mike,

            > To what I believe is a radio Club in Amberg,Germany I would like to say you
            > have the best location as far as quietness. Thank you for the years I was
            > able to use it and I hope many more. I would love to see a website of your
            > set up. I was stationed with USAF at Rhein Main and Flugplatz Hahn in the
            > 80's. Wife and I are planning on a trip to see friends in Hamburg.Im sure
            > that's a fun city.

            Yes, there is a website with information and images. When remote
            connected with one of their Perseus', have a view on the pop-up
            window entitled "Network messages". A numeric URL is given there.
            Copy and paste it to your internet browser, enjoy...

            'Impressum' will show an email address. I'm sure the guys will be
            delighted to get feedback from users. Probably they are not members
            of this list.

            Best wishes,
            Uwe

            Lehrte - Germany
          • Bernhard Wiesgickl (Asamnet)
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 18, 2014

              Hello Mike,

              thank you for your complements! Yes, we can confirm that this location has a very low noise floor. I made some measurement which showed a noise floor in the region of “quiet rural” according to the ITU levels. But unfortunately the noise floor increased during the last years. Close by solar power plants bring some noise into this remote “remote location” over the electricity line (noise has gone during the night or when I run the Perseus on batteries and the mains switch at the entrance to the location is switched off). With the beams pointing to the city Amberg in at least  4 km distance you can see (hear) PLC-signals …..

              If you search for DL0AO in Google, you will find a lot of pictures or

              if you would also travel to South Germany we could meet at our club station and you can see everything in reality.

              73s de Bernd, DF9RB

              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 18, 2014
                Hello Bernd,

                I lived in Amberg at Pond Kaserne for a year in 1975. All I have are great memories of that beautiful city and walking up the mountain for a fest at night under the lights along the trees. I spent many Saturday mornings in the Marktplatz and still remember where the 00 was. Does the tower still have a cannon ball stuck in the side way up near the top?

                It is great to hear about this wonderful little town again. If you are reading this Rita Salzl, "Hello after all these years". (Worth a try)

                Barry Williams
                Auburn, Alabama

                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 18, 2014
                  Bernd

                  I just wanted to add my “thanks” to Mike’s comments on your excellent site
                  – I have used all three receivers on many occasions for listening to Latin
                  American, African and Asian stations, and your receiver with the
                  multi-beverage antennas does an especially excellent job. I have found
                  that each receiver does a great job for specific listening areas. Most
                  recently I was able to get some very good results from Radio Nationale Lao
                  on 6130 using the beverage antenna. I do have one question about that
                  receiver – are there multiple beverages and if so how are they are
                  selected?

                  Again, many thanks for a great site!

                  73's

                  Bruce

                  Bruce W. Churchill
                  2491 Palo Vista Rd.
                  Fallbrook, CA 92028-9690
                  Tel: +01 (760) 731-9707

                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 18, 2014
                    It looks like the the antenna selection now goes via this site http://82.135.26.213:8888/index.php which got recently an incredible nice make-over.  And the beverages can be selected here http://82.135.26.213:8888/perseus_1/index.php

                    Thanks very much Bernd for this excellent work !

                    73,

                    Guido.
                  • Mike
                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 18, 2014

                      My Perseus is online from Delaware, could somebody help me ID Noise. It is not Broadband but on certain frequencies. Check 1,070khz on Broadcast Band. I appreciate any one who can help me resolve the issue. I am the only one online from Delaware.

                      Thank you

                      KB3IUL

                    • Alberto I2PHD
                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 18, 2014
                        On 8/18/2014 9:18 PM, 'Guido Schotmans |' guidoschotmans@... [perseus_SDR] wrote:

                        It looks like the the antenna selection now goes via this site xxxxxxxxxx which got recently an incredible nice make-over.
                        And the beverages can be selected here xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

                        Thanks very much Bernd for this excellent work !

                        73,

                        Guido.

                        Guido and all the group,

                          please refrain from writing into your messages Internet addresses in the numeric form.
                        Yahoo blocked the message from Guido considering it spam, because messages with
                        numeric Internet addresses are usually sent by spammers.

                        I approved the message from Guido, as it was evident that it did not contain any spam,
                        but to avoid in the future delays, please use symbolic addresses, or if you absolutely
                        need to use the numeric form, don't put dots between the numbers, so that Yahoo
                        do not see them as Internet addresses... e.g.  use this format :

                           http : // 82 135 26 213:8888/index.php

                        Note also the extra space between http and the semicolon and before and after the double dash.
                        It is then up to the recipient to reassemble the address in the correct form.

                        Sorry for this inconvenience, but we live in bad times....

                        73  Alberto  I2PHD
                        <<<group owner>>>

                      • Don Moman VE6JY

                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 18, 2014
                            > I would try but it doesn't appear on the Perseus servers map....

                            Bill's Perseus appears in Central Greenland.

                            @Bill: Check coordinates, please.

                            Regards, Uwe.

                            > On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 7:29 PM, 'Mike' kyw1060@... [perseus_SDR] <
                            > perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                            >> My Perseus is online from Delaware, could somebody help me ID Noise. It is
                            >> not Broadband but on certain frequencies. Check 1,070khz on Broadcast Band.
                            >> I appreciate any one who can help me resolve the issue. I am the only one
                            >> online from Delaware.
                          • Jurgen Bartels
                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 18, 2014
                              > My Perseus is online from Delaware, could somebody help me ID Noise. It is
                              > not Broadband but on certain frequencies. Check 1,070khz on Broadcast Band.
                              > I appreciate any one who can help me resolve the issue. I am the only one
                              > online from Delaware.

                              You have 60Hz hum every 90kHz,
                              the main peaks are 260, 450, 540 kHz

                              So it looks like caused by a bad switched power supply, perhaps coming in via
                              the mains?
                              Since you disconnected the antenna while I was there, it looks to come from
                              your own PSU (Perseus? )

                              Perhaps from PC PSU?

                              Jurgen Bartels Suellwarden, N. Germany
                              Ant. hor: 29-45MHz 7-el, 45-87MHz 11-el, FM 15.11, Band-3:13-el, UHF:48-el
                              MW: 30 x 4m EWE 320° with JB-terminator, Winradio & Perseus
                              http://dx.3sdesign.de/tv_offset_list.htm
                            • Bernhard Wiesgickl (Asamnet)
                              Message 14 of 24 , Aug 18, 2014

                                Hello Bruce,

                                I built 3 beverages. A standard type to North America, 120 m long and a two direction  200 m long beverage which can be switched between South America or Asia.

                                All  17 selectable antennas are switches by a Raspberry Pi.

                                I prefer listening to Radio Australia on 2325 or 2485 kHz! On average once a week this station is good audible all over the year with the Northeast Beverage!

                                73 Bernd, DF9RB

                                Message 15 of 24 , Aug 18, 2014
                                  Yup, Greenland. 39 x 75 would be a lot closer. Terrible noise. The only
                                  NDB I could find in the noise was IL 248 near Wilmington.

                                  Don KPC6NDB
                                  Upland, CA
                                  34.10 -117.63 1250ft
                                  DX-1000 FRG-100B FUNcube Dongle Pro+
                                  ICF2010 Perseusx2 R70 R71A w/250Hz
                                  R75x2 w/250Hz SDR-IQ SPR-4 SSR-1
                                  SR-AF & LPF DSP599zx MFJ-784B
                                  HD-1418 AF-1 MSB-1
                                  PA0RDT Mini-Whipx2 @ 25ft
                                  RYO Active Antenna @ 25ft
                                  ALA100Lx2 Z1501F @20ft w/9ft Whip
                                  Solarcon A-99

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Aug 18, 2014

                                    Hello Barry,

                                    1975 I guarded munitions in the wood where the 3 Perseus are installed now! Rebuild swords to blades!

                                    The cannon ball is still there and every pupil has still to learn how this cannon ball came to there.

                                    Bernd, DF9RB

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Aug 18, 2014

                                      Mike:

                                      I just logged in and noticed that the interference peaks about every 90 kHz.  This looks like either a computer monitor, plasma TV or switching power supply.  There has been a lot of interference these days from ‘grow lamps’, and you may have one in your neighborhood.

                                                Ron Castro

                                                 N6IE

                                          www.N6IE.com

                                      Member:

                                                        ARRL

                                           Redwood Empire DX Assn.

                                      Northern California Contest Club

                                      Northern California DX Foundation

                                        Society of Broadcast Engineers

                                      My Perseus is online from Delaware, could somebody help me ID Noise. It is not Broadband but on certain frequencies. Check 1,070khz on Broadcast Band. I appreciate any one who can help me resolve the issue. I am the only one online from Delaware.

                                      Thank you

                                      KB3IUL

                                    • Werner Karn

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Aug 18, 2014

                                          I am greatful to everyone who gave me great advice. I took my Sony 2010 and put it on 1,070 Khz and decided to go in the garage. The electric panel is located there so I started flipping switches. The noise dissapeared when I hit the subpanel breaker. I'll look for the nasty bugger tomorrow. Now I must play and try to remember to leave it on server when I sleep.

                                          KB3IUL

                                          …Thank you

                                        • Matt .
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Aug 18, 2014
                                            Glad you found the noise! I went on your perseus earlier and all I could hear was 1450 :(

                                            By the way when I went on your perseus was showing as being in Greenland, it fooled me at first!

                                            Regards,

                                            Matt.

                                            To: perseus_SDR@yahoogroups.com

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Aug 18, 2014
                                              Hi Bernd,

                                              That is such a funny coincidence as I was a young soldier and had to guard the munitions at those woods in a field. It was a good choice because we had a small guard tower built and could sit up there and goof off. We could look down the road towards Pond Barracks and get advance notice they were driving out to check on us. We had enough time to dress up and look like alert soldiers.

                                              I forget some of the roads, but if you came out of Pond Barracks and turned left there is a way I would run at night with a friend. It came around like a loop to the munitions area where you are talking of. A wild pig came out of the woods one evening and chased us! I never knew we could run so fast.

                                              Of all the towns in Germany, Amberg will always be the special place for me. Now, Amberg has come back because of our Perseus radios.

                                              Barry

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Aug 19, 2014

                                                Hi KB3IUL,

                                                As a perseus user I would also like to check out your on line perseus.  I missed the log in address - could you send it to me?

                                                73,

                                                Bill, WA2DVU

                                                Cape May, NJ

                                                Message 23 of 24 , Aug 19, 2014
                                                  Bernd

                                                  Sounds like excellent antenna layout! How does one switch between
                                                  antennae, or perhaps I should ask how does one know which antenna they
                                                  have selected?

                                                  Thanks again for an excellent site!

                                                  73’s

                                                  Bruce
                                                  Bruce W. Churchill
                                                  2491 Palo Vista Rd.
                                                  Fallbrook, CA 92028-9690
                                                  Tel: +01 (760) 731-9707

                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Aug 20, 2014

                                                    Hello Bruce,

                                                    goto  82 135 26 213 8888 (add “http” and ” .” (: before the 8888)(I cannot type a link – otherwise it would be filtered)) between the numbers and you will see 3 (4) Perseus. Click on one of them and you can select the antenna. The 4th one is under construction. This Perseus is located 1100 m a.s.l. But we have some problems from a big nearby solar plant and powerful Radio/TV-transmitter.

                                                    Bernd, DF9RB