Another Recording/Playback Question

  • nj3h
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 5, 2014
      I recorded the VOA RadioGram today and was able to play the files sequentially thanks to the help of others.

      Just a small (actually very small) point.

      During playback, when the file changes, say from 000 to 001, characters are lost during the playback for a second or so.

      I can understand that this is due to one file ending and the other beginning.  Has anyone found a way to make longer Perseus recordings, say a half hour, without the need for multiple files.  I realize changing the Sampling Rate will buy more time, but other than that is there a way.

      Downloading a SSTV picture or some such other decoding from multiple recorded files would cause a small glitch in the output.  Obviously, the glitch is small, but I just wonder if there is any workaround that anyone has figured out.

      Thanks, as always,
      George

    • Guido Schotmans |
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 6, 2014
      • 1 Attachment
      • 16 KB
      George,

      You can configure the file length of the file by clicking on the left upper Perseus logo and than go to software settings. The max length for a 125 kHz file is 80 minutes. See attachment

      73,

      Guido

    • Bill Nollman
      Message 3 of 5 , Jul 6, 2014

        George, if playing back from an external hard drive have you set the drive properties to enable write cache? This will make a big difference in playback.

        Bill

        Message 4 of 5 , Jul 6, 2014
          Guido,

          Thanks so much for the info.  I just totally forgot about checking there.

          Regards,
          George
        • Leif Asbrink
          Message 5 of 5 , Jul 7, 2014
            Hello George,

            > I can understand that this is due to one file ending and the
            > other beginning. Has anyone found a way to make longer Perseus
            > recordings, say a half hour, without the need for multiple files.
            You may use Linrad with your Perseus. In Linrad there is no limitation
            on file sizes. You can fill a 4TB hard disk with a single file if you
            wish. Under Linux as well as under Windows.

            Linrad saves files in its own format, .raw files. You can convert
            those files to .wav files and there is no limit on the size of those.
            That violates the .wav file specifications in that the header does
            not properly specify the file size. Linrad ignores the file size
            specification in the file header. Linrad will read a .wav file
            until EOF is encountered.

            I can not understand why the SDR world (except for Linrad) adheres to
            the old specification of .wav files that require the file size to be
            read from the header and not from the API of the operating system.
            Just by specifying -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 to the compiler (when using
            gcc on Windows or Linux) one can make files of practically unlimited
            size.

            73

            Leif / SM5BSZ