Perseus Needs Repair - Front End Kaput!

  • glmemory
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 21, 2014

      My Perseus has failed.  I assume it is the front end, but have no real idea.  The noise floor is down to 120 ish dBm and no antenna will bring the noise floor up or receive any signal.  I have contacted two Perseus distributors here in the US of A to find out how I get this puppy repaired, and all I get from them is a deer-in-the-headlights response (one told me they have never heard of a Perseus ever failing...so I must be the first one.....;-)

      I'm guessing it was a voltage transient of some kind...but my Perseus is protected by a well grounded, active antenna and a surge protector,and the coax is buried in the ground...so I have no idea what happened.  There was no warning, it was not during a storm...it was working fine and then a hour later it wasn't.  I have tried a whole new antenna, coax and power supply and still nothing.  My unit is out of warranty and so it is what it is...ces la vie.

      Anybody have info on where to send it and so forth?  Do I need an RMA?  Thanks!

      Gary

    • barry williams
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 21, 2014
        Vibraplex is the new distributor if you are still calling the old place. Gary at SSB is extremely helpful if you get him on the phone.

        I called Vibraplex yesterday about my noisy switching power supply, and they have to contact Microtelecom before giving me any answers. I'm getting noise spikes every 8 kHz throughout most of the spectrum. Seems a lot of people have the same complaint. There's a lot of info on decent linear power supplies and even a schematic by Chuck Rippel of R-390 fame.

        Otherwise, my new Perseus is a life changing event that is the next best thing to, well, you know. If only we could get a Mac version of the software. Bootcamp works easily with XP and the Perseus software, but it's like going back to the stone age every time with Windows.

        Barry Williams
        Auburn, Al

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 21, 2014
          Thanks, Barry.  Vibraplex told me to contact Microtelecom.

          Alas, everything breaks at some point, so this is not the end of life as we know it...but getting it fixed seems to be an allusive nut to crack.

          GO TIGERS!

          Gary

        • Walter Salmaniw

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 21, 2014
              Contact Cesare Buzzi at   cbuzzi1 @ yahoo.com
              He's Microtelecom's service man.

              73,

              Guido.

[...]

              Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
              Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
              Versie: 2014.0.4592 / Virusdatabase: 3972/7718 - datum van uitgifte: 06/21/14

            • glmemory
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 21, 2014
                Excellent!  Thanks!

                Gary