Low frequency antennas and sensors.

  • Leif Asbrink
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 21, 2014
      Hi All,

      There have been many discussions about interference on low
      frequencies and about the difference between whip antennas
      and loop antennas. Triggered by a posting on the ELAD mailing list
      I have made a series of investigations that is now available as
      videos on youtube.

      1) I find that whip antennas and loop antennas are very similar
      in performance.

      2) By use of both a whip antenna and a loop antenna one can
      get a significant advantage.

      3) Conducted interference is the main problem. We need
      "interference isolators" (Chokes on the transmission lines.)

      4) It is not too difficult to build electric or magnetic
      sensors that reveal how the electric and magnetic field lines
      are oriented in a certain location. Although not shown in the
      videos it should be pretty obvious how to use the information
      about the field lines of the interference to locate the
      interference source. (A camera operator would be needed
      to allow me to demonstrate this...)

      Have a look at these videos:
      1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItLkn8r4s3E
      2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsZTX7MQSGQ
      3) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgMbaJDFu9M
      4) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C65u7Pmz7a0

      Please observe that you have to direct your video player
      to start from the beginning of the file in some cases. I have not
      been able to make Youtube understand that I want files to be
      played from T=0. (Hints welcome!!)

      73

      Leif / SM5BSZ