Surface Pro 2 and Perseus

  • bjarnemjelde
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 17, 2014
      The Microsoft Surface Pro 2 (from now on the SP2) is a full-fledged i5 PC guised as a tablet, and well capable of running most of what is thrown at it. It uses Windows 8 though, and as most people here know by now the Win 8 signed driver enforcement needs to be disabled in order to install the Perseus driver. There are multiple descriptions on the net (and on this reflector) on how to do it, so I won't delve further into this.

      The SP2 however (or maybe it was just my SP2) wouldn't allow me to do this. When I came to the last screen, where I was supposed to press "7" or "F7", nothing happened. I found no way around this, until this evening, when I thought - maybe the PC does not get any input from the bluetooth keyboard? So I connected a surplus USB keyboard, and did the procedure again. Ta-daaa!! The signed driver enforcement was disabled, and the Perseus driver installed without problems and the Perseus is now running 2 MHz at 6-8 % CPU via a 1:4 USB 3.0 splitter.

      Bjarne Mjelde
      arcticdx.blogspot.com
    • nbt_nilsson
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 18, 2014

        Hello Bjarne,

        Interesting!

        Just a little curious - suppose you are running version 4.1a on USB 3. Is that combination reliable on Win8? I have seen some comments here that Perseus is not compatible with different versions of USB3. But you seem to have it working OK on this new tablet.

        73

        Thomas

      • bjarnemjelde
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 19, 2014
          Version 4.1a and USB 3.0 (both via powered hub or directly) appears to be a reliable setup here, although I have no long-term experiences with it yet. Glad to see that Perseus installed on a fully updated Win8 system (Windown 8.1 + the major April Update). Touch control is theoretically possible with the Stylus pen, but not very practical. So a mouse is needed. It would have been so much easier with a few keyboard shortcuts...
          As a colleague pointed out to me today: The Surface Pro/Pro2 + "any" SDR  is arguably the smallest SDR + PC combo on the market.
        • daiche
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 19, 2014

            Hi Bjarne!

            Have you tried your Excalibur Pro or Afedri with the Surface Pro yet. I have all 3 myself and have looked at the Surface Pro as a possibility in the future. I use N2600 based netbooks now with all 3 radios. Even the Excalibur Pro works OK at full MW bandwidth. I would assume the Surface Pro has quite a bit more CPU power than an N2600.

            Dave Aichelman  N7NZH  Dewey, AZ

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 19, 2014
              Dave,
              Yes, the Pro 2 has more than enough processing power with its i5-4200 Haswell CPU (later models have the i5-4400 although I don't think that matters). My system has 4GB RAM, 8 GB is available for a considerably higher price tag (and larger SSD as well). I haven't tested the Excalibur Pro yet (I will), but there's absolutely no reason why it shouldn't play with very low CPU levels. I tested the SDR-IQ while at Kilimanjaro in February, also no problems (SpectraVue 3.28).

              Bjarne Mjelde
              arcticdx.blogspot.com
            • Guido Schotmans
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 19, 2014
                > It would have been so much easier with a few keyboard
                > shortcuts...

                What about trying Autohotkeys Bjarne ?

                73,

                Guido.

                -----
                Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
                Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
                Versie: 2014.0.4355 / Virusdatabase: 3882/7367 - datum van uitgifte: 04/19/14
              • bjarnemjelde
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 19, 2014
                  Yeah...well I have to confess I haven't tested AHK yet. On the other hand, I use Jaguar for controlling Perseus, so it doesn't really matter.

                  Bjarne
                • Guido Schotmans
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 19, 2014
                    Of course, what else :-). But that's for MW only.

                    Guido.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 19, 2014
                      Ah yes,...But is there anything above or below MW? ;-)

                      Joke aside, I can tune SW and LW but 100 % of my DX is MW.