Monkey's Audio

  • nj3h
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 8, 2014
      I saw this program referenced in some messages in the last few days.  I have downloaded and installed it.

      I went through the little tutorial "How to compress one wav file" in the help section.

      The file selected was a Perseus WAV file and was a little over 2 GB in size.  In about 2 seconds, the program is through and a file of 29KB is created.  Obviously, this is absurd.  I have tried this more than once, but I do get the same result each time.

      I was able to compress a standard wav music file that was 30MB to a compressed size of 15MB.  Is the problem I am having related to the fact that Perseus files aren't standard wav files?

      So what is the trick in using Monkey's Audio to compress Perseus wav files?

      Regards,
      George
    • nj3h
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 8, 2014
        I see from some old messages that there is indeed an upper limit on file size of 2,147,483,648 Bytes.  My file was 2.3 GB, so was above the limit.

        So, is there a way to merge two Perseus wav files together?  Instead of wav chopper, perhaps a wav merge?

        Regards,
        George
      • Sylvain Naud

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 8, 2014

            For some reason, my answer didn't appeared. Here's my reply again

            Sylvain

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 8, 2014
              Wow! very strange as I see my own reply in the outbox folder. Hopefully it will work now pasting bellow. Sorry for that.

              Strange George. I made a test with a 643 Mb Perseus .wav file and I ended after compressing with a 362 Mb .ape file.

              And it was just a straightforward try, quickly made right after having installed the program.

              Sylvain Naud
              Portneuf, QC
              CAN

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 8, 2014
                Thanks, Sylvain. I believe the problem I was having was due to the file size over the value in my follow-on email.
                Thanks for replying.
                George

                Sent from my Droid Charge on Verizon 4GLTE

                For some reason, my answer didn't appeared. Here's my reply again

                Sylvain

                > I saw this program referenced in some messages in the last few days.
                > I have downloaded and installed it.
                >
                > I went through the little tutorial "How to compress one wav file" in
                > the help section.
                >
                > The file selected was a Perseus WAV file and was a little over 2 GB in
                > size. In about 2 seconds, the program is through and a file of 29KB
                > is created. Obviously, this is absurd. I have tried this more than
                > once, but I do get the same result each time.
                >
                > I was able to compress a standard wav music file that was 30MB to a
                > compressed size of 15MB. Is the problem I am having related to the
                > fact that Perseus files aren't standard wav files?
                >
                > So what is the trick in using Monkey's Audio to compress Perseus wav
                > files?
                >
                > Regards,
                > George

              • Jurgen Bartels
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 9, 2014
                  > Strange George. I made a test with a 643 Mb Perseus .wav file and I
                  > ended after compressing with a 362 Mb .ape file.

                  Just did a test with a 30.x MHz file that only contain F2 lowlevel signals,
                  and compared Monkey against my long time favourite (for WAVs) FreeArc

                  Wav 1920 M
                  FreeArc 411 M 79%
                  Monkey 368 M 81%

                  So Monkey is slighly better in compression, but much faster then FreeArc

                  Jurgen Bartels Suellwarden, N. Germany
                  Ant. hor: 29-45MHz 7-el, 45-87MHz 11-el, FM 15.11, Band-3:13-el, UHF:48-el
                  MW: 30 x 4m EWE 320° with JB-terminator, Winradio & Perseus
                  http://dx.3sdesign.de/tv_offset_list.htm